Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

About the Project, they said Izzy showed up to the rehearsals. At that time Duff was the one who was in touch with Izzy the most, so maybe he told him they were jamming and invited him to join, and Izzy turned up for it (and then left).

That's what I'm remembering too about Izzy and VR. He showed up on his own and left when they started looking for a lead singer.

Didn't Slash mentioned he worked with Izzy before through the years? He mentioned material from The Project sessions which could have been "the best GNR record ever made" or something, but I think he mentioned at least another session where he was involved in writing process with Izzy (and probably Duff) which has never seen the light of day. Is that true?

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That's what I'm remembering too about Izzy and VR. He showed up on his own and left when they started looking for a lead singer.

Didn't Slash mentioned he worked with Izzy before through the years? He mentioned material from The Project sessions which could have been "the best GNR record ever made" or something, but I think he mentioned at least another session where he was involved in writing process with Izzy (and probably Duff) which has never seen the light of day. Is that true?

I've always wanted to know if that material ("the best gnr record ever made") has ever been used with VR or other projects or if it's still unheard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DK6 said:

I've always wanted to know if that material ("the best gnr record ever made") has ever been used with VR or other projects or if it's still unheard.

That's something I want to know as well. It's obvious Do It For The Kids is one song of these sessions but we don't know for the rest of it.

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

In late 2001, Duff played on what what was going to be Izzy's next album (On Down The Road) and Slash did some sessions, too (he played on five songs):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4824-2002-01-15-knac-com-izzy-stradlin-recruits-slash-duff-for-new-album

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4794-2002-01-23-mtv-news-slash-duff-izzy-reunite-three-out-of-five-ain-t-bad

But eventually Izzy didn't include Slash's parts in the album:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4831-2002-06-14-blabbermouth-izzy-stradlin-s-upcoming-solo-cd-not-the-much-anticipated-gnr-reunion

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

In late 2001, Duff played on what what was going to be Izzy's next album (On Down The Road) and Slash did some sessions, too (he played on five songs):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4824-2002-01-15-knac-com-izzy-stradlin-recruits-slash-duff-for-new-album

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4794-2002-01-23-mtv-news-slash-duff-izzy-reunite-three-out-of-five-ain-t-bad

But eventually Izzy didn't include Slash's parts in the album:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4831-2002-06-14-blabbermouth-izzy-stradlin-s-upcoming-solo-cd-not-the-much-anticipated-gnr-reunion

So nobody knows why Izzy didn't use Slash's parts? Or if he didn't use the songs at all?

Then there are the '95 Izzy and Duff sessions and probably The Project's stuff. Seems like there could be a lot of stuff in those guys vaults that we might not hear, ever.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, soon said:

Why is Matt wearing bowling shoes? Why is Scott on a ladder? What are Slash's hands doing? Why does Kushner look like a bouncer? Why does Duff look like Zoolander?

I have so many questions! :lol:

Not sure of the timeframe re the photo, but they were all (kushner aside) off the wagon in some way at some points during VR.... that could account for some of what you observed. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Slash looks great!

So this could mean:

a) Slash's work for a new GnR album is done.

b) nothing is happening/ gets done and he's bored and fed up with Axl

I got a strong feeling it's not a) :D

Like I said in the Conspirators thread, it could be both. He could have finished his work for Guns and still nothing will happen regarding new music.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Oh I'm happy to hear it from this band; I don't have the patience for the other one anymore.

I enjoyed Living The Dream and felt it was underrated on here. I remember hearing it for the first time and thinking "y'know what? Fuck Axl."

There were some great tunes on LTD by a band whose singer can actually sing. I think holding onto hope for GNR/Axl to deliver is just living in the past at this stage.

• Like 2

He could be working on GNR stuff intermittently; doing studio SMKC doesn't necessarily indicate anything regarding GNR. Although yes, one would say this could mean recording/writing for Guns has been finished on his part, so now he's doing this. But this is GNR we're talking about, i.e. we can't really expect stuff functioning normally in this case. 

It would be fun if someone asked him on FB about new GNR work and he actually responded and said something of value. You know, like in other bands. 

Edited by jamillos

Slash is a monster  

He's always recording in his home studio.  Megan said that many times  before covid and after.  Bes always busy writing. 

So no change in gnr records or slash n myles. 

Many artist keep them selfs busy during downtime.  Slash however is a beast during those

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Towelie said:

I enjoyed Living The Dream and felt it was underrated on here. I remember hearing it for the first time and thinking "y'know what? Fuck Axl."

There were some great tunes on LTD by a band whose singer can actually sing. I think holding onto hope for GNR/Axl to deliver is just living in the past at this stage.

Yes I agree with both of those points.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes I agree with both of those points.

12 hours ago, Towelie said:

Hahaahah come on guys...

Myles sounds good on a couple of songs with SMKC and he sounds great for Alter Bridge...

But thinking F*€k Axl is only because of the wait, cause when that motherfcker sings, you know Myles singing will be buried deeeeeeep down....just another league.

Its like comparing Ben Affleck to Di Caprio...Axl being Di Caprio of course

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Hahaahah come on guys...

Myles sounds good on a couple of songs with SMKC and he sounds great for Alter Bridge...

But thinking F*€k Axl is only because of the wait, cause when that motherfcker sings, you know Myles singing will be buried deeeeeeep down....just another league.

Totally agree, I believe Axl can still bring the goods in the studio. 

1 hour ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Hahaahah come on guys...

I prefer Affleck over Di Caprio anytime.

We don't know how Axl sounds in the studio nowadays and we don't know what's left creativity wise. If he's able to deliver he's way above Myles in every single way, but that's a big IF.

SMKC on the other hand become better and better from record to record IMO, even when that's an unpopular opinion. I think Living The Dream was their strongest album to date, followed by WOF.

On 04/08/2020 at 9:01 AM, Free Bird said:

That's something I want to know as well. It's obvious Do It For The Kids is one song of these sessions but we don't know for the rest of it.

Do It For The Kids- do we know that for a fact, or are you guessing based on the song riff etc?

5 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Do It For The Kids- do we know that for a fact, or are you guessing based on the song riff etc?

I've never heard them say anything about Do It For The Kids specifically but to me it was obvious that it must have been one of those songs coming straight out of the Izzy/Project sessions. Like you said, it's the same riff Izzy used for one of his songs, sorry, I forgott its name.