Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

5 hours ago, Euchre said:

I agree. Once a show, any show, gets above 2 hours I'm losing interest even it was Zeppelin who have a much bigger catalogue than GNR. 

GNR with a set padded out with covers and solos would kill me.

My favourite era of GNR was actually when they were opening and they used to come out and put on this ridiculously intense set. When they started to headline it was good at first but then slowly got more bloated and boring IMO.

One of the best shows I've ever seen was the Sex Pistols on their reunion tour when they came out and just hammered it relentlessly for 60 mins and left. I don't even remember there being an encore. It was the biggest pit of any show I've ever seen by a long way and certainly one of my most memorably gigs - it was almost like what just happened.

There is something to be said for that opening act mentality. Opening acts are trying to win the audience, give it everything and leave you wanting more. 

When I saw gnr in 2006, they played for just over 2hrs and that was easily the best I've seen them. In and out, bo messing around!

2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

So it’s confirmed that they are releasing a UYI box set?

Rule No. 1: Nothing is ever "confirmed" in the world of GN'R unless one of the main musicians themselves says something concrete, ideally with a date. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I'm amazed they played for 60 minutes, as they barely have that amount of material! 

I opted out of those shows, even though they're one of my favourite bands, as I don't like living in the past, trying to recreate it, nostalgia, etc. Bands have their moment and if I missed it first time, then, bad luck me. Would have loved to have been there in the 70s, but I wasn't. I don't want to miss the bands of now. No point looking backwards. All that stuff. You know the drill. Yet......here I am on a GNR forum in 2021! Hahaha! 

And you know what really weirds me out.... when I saw the Pistols in ‘96 I think it was it seemed like this really old band coming back - 19 years after their debut/prime. 

The GNR equivalent would have been them doing an AFD reunion in 2006 !!

Like you say it’s now 34 years past debut/prime for GNR and I’m still holding out hope that one day the reunion might happen - but because I’ve seen GNR unfold since the start (I wasn’t born when the Pistols exploded), it doesn’t feel like an ancient band to me...but when I stop and think like this I realise yeah actually it is ancient and it’s even more ancient than all those bands I thought were old in the 80s & 90s. It’s just me who is also old now !!

16 minutes ago, Euchre said:

And you know what really weirds me out.... when I saw the Pistols in ‘96 I think it was it seemed like this really old band coming back - 19 years after their debut/prime. 

The GNR equivalent would have been them doing an AFD reunion in 2006 !!

Like you say it’s now 34 years past debut/prime for GNR and I’m still holding out hope that one day the reunion might happen - but because I’ve seen GNR unfold since the start (I wasn’t born when the Pistols exploded), it doesn’t feel like an ancient band to me...but when I stop and think like this I realise yeah actually it is ancient and it’s even more ancient than all those bands I thought were old in the 80s & 90s. It’s just me who is also old now !!

Yeah, that's totally it. It's absolutely crazy. It did seem, as you say, like a really old band coming back in 1996, and I think it absolutely has to do with our perspectives! 

I suppose the only difference is that the Sex Pistols did 'come back' whereas GNR kept going, in one form or another. That probably makes it seem different to us. 

I think the Pistols did it alright though - a few gigs, then knock it on the head. I don't think they should have done those other reformations though. I think they did it twice more didn't they? 

22 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I think the Pistols did it alright though - a few gigs, then knock it on the head. I don't think they should have done those other reformations though. I think they did it twice more didn't they? 

I think 2 more was right - 02/03 for the Jubilee and then again 07/08. They never came to Oz again so unfortunately I didn't get to see them on those runs.

There is footage of one of the Brixton shows and it was really awesome, I know you're not into nostalgia but I think you'll like it as they are still on fire :

Edited by Euchre

1 hour ago, Euchre said:

I think 2 more was right - 02/03 for the Jubilee and then again 07/08. They never came to Oz again so unfortunately I didn't get to see them on those runs.

There is footage of one of the Brixton shows and it was really awesome, I know you're not into nostalgia but I think you'll like it as they are still on fire :

I've seen that film actually. They're competent and everything.....but that spark just isn't there for me. I should probably have still gone though, as I sure I'd have had a good night out! 

On 2/22/2021 at 5:27 PM, jamillos said:

Rule No. 1: Nothing is ever "confirmed" in the world of GN'R unless one of the main musicians themselves says something concrete, ideally with a date. 

Nope, I’ve been following this band for 30 years and rule no.1: Nothing is ever confirmed in the world of Gn’fn’R unless it is released, in the shops, and in your possession 😁

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, DownUnderScott said:

Nope, I’ve been following this band for 30 years and rule no.1: Nothing is ever confirmed in the world of Gn’fn’R unless it is released, in the shops, and in your possession 😁

Or until The Chairman drops another gem!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 3:58 AM, DownUnderScott said:

This is the right.

Here’s another little known example and something that would have been cool for the box set. I’ve got a video interview with Adler that has never made it onto YouTube or anywhere else on the net that I know of. It’s from ‘89 I think - when he was at that baseball match the rockers did. The interviewer is a German lady so I’m guessing it was for German MTV.

Anyways he tells her that the night before the band were all out the Rainbow recording themselves sitting around talking about the old days and it was going to be released as the b-side of the upcoming Nightrain single.

Obviously this never got released, but Cleary happened and the recording must be in the vault somewhere.

A bit off topic but while we are on Nightrain and the box set, a guy named Jeff Fenster recorded a harmonica part for the song for Appetite that never made the final cut but would have been cool for the box set. Steve and Izzy also used to do a cool little intro that they played live at least once (Music Machine) and demo’d on the Pasha demos. Again something that would have been a nice addition as it isn’t that well known.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Euchre said:

This is the right.

Here’s another little known example and something that would have been cool for the box set. I’ve got a video interview with Adler that has never made it onto YouTube or anywhere else on the net that I know of. It’s from ‘89 I think - when he was at that baseball match the rockers did. The interviewer is a German lady so I’m guessing it was for German MTV.

Anyways he tells her that the night before the band were all out the Rainbow recording themselves sitting around talking about the old days and it was going to be released as the b-side of the upcoming Nightrain single.

Obviously this never got released, but Cleary happened and the recording must be in the vault somewhere.

A bit off topic but while we are on Nightrain and the box set, a guy named Jeff Fenster recorded a harmonica part for the song for Appetite that never made the final cut but would have been cool for the box set. Steve and Izzy also used to do a cool little intro that they played live at least once (Music Machine) and demo’d on the Pasha demos. Again something that would have been a nice addition as it isn’t that well known.

This segment must be from that interview, right?

https://www.a-4-d.com/t3601-1990-01-21-mtv-short-interview-with-steven

EDIT: I guess not, since the interviewer is a man. But it must have been at the same event.

Edited by Blackstar

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

No, but the fact that all we get again and again are these boring pictures and snippets is lame.

I was watching STPs facebook team earlier post links to old concerts. Metallica is known for sharing content. Even Acdc are now.

Team brazil/gnr should learn off their peers in the rock industry.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

First of all Axl was not a 'well known wife beater' get your facts right, accusations are just that, anybody can accuse us of anything to make a point/dosh for themselves, stop believinng everything you read.  So do we outlaw all films, books, tv before 1990 or do we allow folk to use their intelligence and just enjoy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

First of all Axl was not a 'well known wife beater' get your facts right, accusations are just that, anybody can accuse us of anything to make a point/dosh for themselves, stop believinng everything you read.  So do we outlaw all films, books, tv before 1990 or do we allow folk to use their intelligence and just enjoy.

I second this. Axl is often potrayed as the "women beater" by people who want to paint him in the worst possible light but he was hardly a "women beater" in traditional sense of the word. I'm not trying to justify his violent outbursts it's just that the term "women beater" gives the impression that he beat his women mercilessly for no reason, because dinner wasn't served on time or whatever, but in reality Axl was involved in two very dysfunctional relationships where there were a lot of drugs an alcohol involved.

Axl was easily provoked and he probably reacted violently more that he should but it's not like either Stephanie or Erin walked around in bruises. It was reported by various sources they were just as responsible for the volatility and they also weren't afraid to throw a punch.

I don't justify violence on women in any way I just don't think things are as black and white.

Also, I can't provide a source but I do remember reading that all the claims of either Erin or Stephanie needing hospital treatment was never corroborated by any kind of medical reports which gave an impression they were blowing things out of proportion. 

Edited by Sisyphus