Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

Personally I have no problem with GNR being woke. People grow up and change. It's a good thing. However, if you really have changed, the first step is to own up to your past. Otherwise, any purported change or growth doesn't seem genuine.

With that said, I think people exaggerate the wokeness of GNR. As far as I know, Duff is the only one who has expressed any support for women's rights. As far as Axl, the best thing that can be said for him is that there are no recent reports of him beating up or raping women. That doesn't necessarily mean he's all woke now or even pretending to be. More likely, he's just older and learned his lesson from the previous lawsuits. You can only dodge a bullet so many times. Presumably he doesn't want to end up in prison.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

I second this. Axl is often potrayed as the "women beater" by people who want to paint him in the worst possible light but he was hardly a "women beater" in traditional sense of the word. I'm not trying to justify his violent outbursts it's just that the term "women beater" gives the impression that he beat his women mercilessly for no reason, because dinner wasn't served on time or whatever, but in reality Axl was involved in two very dysfunctional relationships where there were a lot of drugs an alcohol involved.

Axl was easily provoked and he probably reacted violently more that he should but it's not like either Stephanie or Erin walked around in bruises. It was reported by various sources they were just as responsible for the volatility and they also weren't afraid to throw a punch.

I don't justify violence on women in any way I just don't think things are as black and white.

Also, I can't provide a source but I do remember reading that all the claims of either Erin or Stephanie needing hospital treatment was never corroborated by any kind of medical reports which gave an impression they were blowing things out of proportion. 

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The lengths people go to to defend the guy. :facepalm:

Edited by Scream of the Butterfly
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

First of all Axl was not a 'well known wife beater' get your facts right, accusations are just that, anybody can accuse us of anything to make a point/dosh for themselves, stop believinng everything you read.  So do we outlaw all films, books, tv before 1990 or do we allow folk to use their intelligence and just enjoy.

You assumed I was talking about Axl even though I didn't mention any names....... now I wonder why that is ?

It's almost as if its because that is the person that has had numerous such allegations put to them over the years from wives, girlfriends, friends of girlfriends, band mates, musician friends, other friends, first hand witnesses.......and someone who also puts lines like "Wife Beating Has Been Around for 10,000 Years" and other similar sentiments on their album covers and lyrics.

I don't believe in cancel culture at all and I certainly don't believe things should be banned before 1990. My issue is the phoney, hypocritical nature of the way Duff is going about things and the attitude of 'when me or my friends say this stuff, <insert some sort of explanation here of why it shouldn't be interpreted that way>, but when anyone else does cancel them as they must be pure evil'

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 5:40 AM, Euchre said:

If the OP is thinking anything like me - the problem with all this is how hypocritical it all is. It is pure virtue signalling of the worst possible kind, all trying to jump on a bandwagon and either feel morally superior or for the accolades and ultimately $$ - not really caring at all about the issue. As soon as something else takes over in the popular mood, he will move on and forget about it.

Evidence ?

Well the guy who wrote It's So Easy "turn around bitch I got a use for you", Cornchucker - I won't even go there. And plays in the band with songs like Back Off Bitch, Bad Obsession etc I could go on and on.

Sure people change. If that was the case it would be fine. However when that happens people normally own it / address it / apologise especially when their prior outlook was so public.

We don't get this but instead get BS interviews from Duff - with bullshit like I never knew anyone who talked like that. You didn't know yourself or your bandmates who made comments like that publicly and in songs ? One band member who was a well known wife/girlfriend beater and subject to a couple of rape accusations ?

And if you change you generally don't repeat. However Duff is so proud of Its So Easy, he calls his book that. This whole thing doesn't stop him performing it every night. Why ? Well $$ trumps values especially if you can so easily sprout obvious bullshit that people lap up (that costs nothing). Just crap he can say things esaily enough but actions that will cost him $$ that is too far.

I'm sure he would have some different take under some sort of 'artistic' take on things as to why its all justifiable - but if so just accept that everyone else you are calling out on those types of things does to (ie don't be a hypocrite).

Or, you know, he has raised two daughters and his opinion changed. His support of a cause doesn't have to mean he is virtue signaling. Did he preach to you at a live show about women's rights? No. They just played their songs.

I do agree it was lame when he went out on TV and claimed all their old lyrics or the way they behaved was done in jest or was tongue-in-cheek. He could have just as easily said, "I would do it differently today, but I was young and dumb." That's it.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Euchre said:

You assumed I was talking about Axl even though I didn't mention any names....... now I wonder why that is ?

It's almost as if its because that is the person that has had numerous such allegations put to them over the years from wives, girlfriends, friends of girlfriends, band mates, musician friends, other friends, first hand witnesses.......and someone who also puts lines like "Wife Beating Has Been Around for 10,000 Years" and other similar sentiments on their album covers and lyrics.

I don't believe in cancel culture at all and I certainly don't believe things should be banned before 1990. My issue is the phoney, hypocritical nature of the way Duff is going about things and the attitude of 'when me or my friends say this stuff, <insert some sort of explanation here of why it shouldn't be interpreted that way>, but when anyone else does cancel them as they must be pure evil'

I personally wasnt necessarily responding to you at all I just wanted to explain why I feel Axl's violence towards women has been somewhat exaggerated. 

Totally agree about Duff. You know he's punk as fuck. In a corporate politically correct way. :lol:

Edited by Sisyphus

On 3/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, Sisyphus said:

I second this. Axl is often potrayed as the "women beater" by people who want to paint him in the worst possible light but he was hardly a "women beater" in traditional sense of the word. I'm not trying to justify his violent outbursts it's just that the term "women beater" gives the impression that he beat his women mercilessly for no reason, because dinner wasn't served on time or whatever, but in reality Axl was involved in two very dysfunctional relationships where there were a lot of drugs an alcohol involved.

Axl was easily provoked and he probably reacted violently more that he should but it's not like either Stephanie or Erin walked around in bruises. It was reported by various sources they were just as responsible for the volatility and they also weren't afraid to throw a punch.

I don't justify violence on women in any way I just don't think things are as black and white.

Also, I can't provide a source but I do remember reading that all the claims of either Erin or Stephanie needing hospital treatment was never corroborated by any kind of medical reports which gave an impression they were blowing things out of proportion. 

I wasn't there and it dont really concern me, just wanna say no one ever talks about the violence coming from women, mostly psychological violence edging torture towards men.

A man should not beat a woman. Period. But that's not all there is to it. A woman should be good to their men and not abuse them with mindgames and betrayal. A woman gets her face slapped you see it, a man gets his soul destroyed no one ever sees it or talks about it.

Not to excuse any type of violence, just saying there is two sides to it and the male side is ignored in public. A violent asshole is a violent asshole, reardless the gender or type of violence.

This whole men are always evil and pussy is always innocent thing basically comes down to just divide people even more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I wasn't there and it dont really concern me, just wanna say no one ever talks about the violence coming from women, mostly psychological violence edging torture towards men.

A man should not beat a woman. Period. But that's not all there is to it. A woman should be good to their men and not abuse them with mindgames and betrayal. A woman gets her face slapped you see it, a man gets his soul destroyed no one ever sees it or talks about it.

Not to excuse any type of violence, just saying there is two sides to it and the male side is ignored in public. A violent asshole is a violent asshole, reardless the gender or type of violence.

This whole men are always evil and pussy is always innocent thing basically comes down to just divide people even more.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say. There's two sides to the story.

A man should never beat up a woman. Agreed. But that doesn't really stop a woman from punching you in the face. Is it ok to retaliate? That's up for debate I guess.

According to various sources both Axl's supposed "victims" were known to be a little cuckoo.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Pretty much what I'm trying to say. A man should never beat up a woman. Agreed. But that doesn't really stop a woman from punching you in the face. Is it ok to retaliate? That's up for debate I guess.

According to various sources both Axl's supposed "victims" were known to be a little cuckoo.

And they were both Hot as Fuck !!!😛😛😛😛

• Like 1

Imagine a photo from 1991 where instead of the depraved drunkards you see smiling Axl and Slash surrounded by Alan Niven's family, his children's spouses and various nannies constantly breathing on their neck on every snapshot... :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ratam said:

Fresh news, In  PEOPLE magazine is news that Ace Harper , Matt Sorum wife is expecting first baby, is a baby girl.

Interview here plus cheesy cake reveal video and obligatory celebrity bump in skimpy underwear photo :lol:

https://people.com/parents/matt-sorum-wife-ace-harper-pregnant-expecting-first-child-daughter-exclusive/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2