Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Well, the only reason I would care is if it affects Axl's confidence with a full album. Other than that, who cares?

To be clear (and you know this personally) I actually don't care if the music I like is popular. However, many people on this board do care. So much so that they make up wild claims such as "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" or the laughable "they're packing stadiums!". 

So my post was merely meant to show how if GN'R put the smallest amount of thought into promotion, people outside of the forums would actually give a shit about them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

To be clear (and you know this personally) I actually don't care if the music I like is popular. However, many people on this board do care. So much so that they make up wild claims such as "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" or the laughable "they're packing stadiums!". 

So my post was merely meant to show how if GN'R put the smallest amount of thought into promotion, people outside of the forums would actually give a shit about them.

You see things through a very small hole in the wall.  Plenty of people outside of the forms and around the world give a shit as they are the ones actually turning up and paying to see the band.   They don't pick apart the band, are objective and go there with the sole purpose of enjoyment.  

You forget people outside of the US (your small hole in the wall) have less opportunities or no opportunity to see this band in there own country.  Some have to travel to a nearby country to see the band, as the band might not visit there own country.

These people don't care about promotion, they are simply excited to see their favorite band or GNR up close and in person.

I have travelled to the US, UK, South America and Australia to see this band from the other side of the world.

It will be 6 years until December 2022 that i will be able to see this band up close along with about 70,000 people in Auckland, who like myself have waited 6 years to see this band again or will go and see the band to simply enjoy themselves.. 

Will i be paying to see the band because of a lack of promotion or a new album. I will purchase a ticket to see the band, because there may not be another opportunity to see the band live in my own country again without travelling or the expense that goes with it. 

Maybe when you make comments as this. You should be mindful that to some people,  "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" and around the world they're packing stadiums. 

Being objective, the news the band is playing in Auckland, 2022 at Eden Park, the response has been positive and overwhelming. To these people  GN'R is the biggest band in the world and Kiwis will  pack the stadium.

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

You see things through a very small hole in the wall.  Plenty of people outside of the forms and around the world give a shit as they are the ones actually turning up and paying to see the band.   They don't pick apart the band, are objective and go there with the sole purpose of enjoyment.  

You forget people outside of the US (your small hole in the wall) have less opportunities or no opportunity to see this band in there own country.  Some have to travel to a nearby country to see the band, as the band might visit there own country.

These people don't care about promotion, they are simply excited to see their favorite or a GNR up close and in person.

I have travelled to the US, UK, South America and Australia to see this band from the other side of the world.

It will be 6 years until November 2022 that i will be able to see this band up close along with about 70,000 people in Auckland, who like myself have waited 6 years to see this band again or will go and see the band to simply enjoy themselves.. 

Will i be paying to see the band, because of a lack of promotion or a new album. I will purchase a ticket to see the band, because there may not be another opportunity to see the band live in my own country again. 

Maybe when you make a comments as this. You should be mindful that to some people,  "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" and around the world they're packing stadiums. 

Being objective, the news the band is playing in Auckland 2022 at Eden Park the response has been positive and overwhelming. To these people  GN'R is the biggest band in the world.  

The old "dumb American only cares about the US" isn't even remotely applicable here. 

The facts are these: if GN'R was the biggest band in the world, the first new material they released in 13 years would have much higher streaming numbers than they do. 

I too paid to see the band on this last US tour and had a great time. That didn't mean that I had to make things up like "they're packing stadiums" to justify the fun I had. 

Ticket prices were heavily discounted and the shows were still not even close to sold out. That's not packing stadiums and it's certainly not indicative of the "biggest band in the world". 

I get that there's countries all of the world that they haven't been to in a long time but again, that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. 

• Like 1

There's no 

Just now, kiwiguns said:

You forget people outside of the US (your small hole in the wall) have less opportunities or no opportunity to see this band in there own country.  Some have to travel to a nearby country to see the band, as the band might not visit there own country.

These people don't care about promotion, they are simply excited to see their favorite band or GNR up close and in person.

It will be 6 years until December 2022 that i will be able to see this band up close along with about 70,000 people in Auckland, who like myself have waited 6 years to see this band again or will go and see the band to simply enjoy themselves.. 

Will i be paying to see the band because of a lack of promotion or a new album. I will purchase a ticket to see the band, because there may not be another opportunity to see the band live in my own country again without travelling or the expense that goes with it. 

Maybe when you make comments as this. You should be mindful that to some people,  "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" and around the world they're packing stadiums. 

Being objective, the news the band is playing in Auckland, 2022 at Eden Park, the response has been positive and overwhelming. To these people  GN'R is the biggest band in the world and Kiwis will  pack the stadium.

To people that go to see GNR they are "the biggest band in the world"? That makes no sense whatsover. How about the people that go and see, say, Alter Bridge? Are they "the biggest band in the world" to them too? 

Being the "biggest in the world" is not subjective at all. Being someone's "favourite" band is (and GNR are certainly mine)  but being the "biggest" really isn't. And there's literally no metric that would suggest they are, hence them releasing two new songs that didn't really chart significantly and not selling out venues. 

I'm not quite sure why people feel so strongly about GNR being the "biggest band" and why it matters really. It's not the 1990s, and they aren't. That's not a problem or a criticism, just a fact. Things change. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I have never heard anyone claim that Guns N' Roses in 2021 is the biggest band in the world.

I've noticed that lately, even if 1 person says something silly like that, than some posters just can't resist to point out how it's factually incorrect and they just can't believe how delusional some fans are. Over and over again.

is it really that important to make it clear to everyone that Gn'R can't sell tickets anymore and it's not what it used to be twice a day? the satisfaction of educating other Gn'R fans on these important issues must be very rewarding.

I think that yes, sometimes fans can exaggerate when it comes to their favorite band, but that's a very small minority and is expected in every fanbase and it's fine to correct shit but it becomes like a constant thing.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I have never heard anyone claim that GnR is the biggest in the world right now either.

Me neither, it is just a bit of a throw away line probably.  

In reality there are certainly some regional differences. Here in Australia, they really are one of the most popular, biggest crowd-pulling acts on the planet still. Which is impressive. But again, thats a regional difference thing. Rock music is popular here in Australia, rap music much less so. So you could say that Guns n Roses is one of the biggest touring bands in the world, for us Aussies anyway. 

If you compare them to their contemporarys, even though they rose well above them all, but GnR nowadays pull much bigger crowds than say Def Leppard, Motley Crue and the like who would be lucky to play in front of 5000 these days, compared to 50 000 like GnR do. So they have remarkably stood the test of time, despite how very little they have done creatively for decades. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Me neither, it is just a bit of a throw away line probably.  

In reality there are certainly some regional differences. Here in Australia, they really are one of the most popular, biggest crowd-pulling acts on the planet still. Which is impressive. But again, thats a regional difference thing. Rock music is popular here in Australia, rap music much less so. So you could say that Guns n Roses is one of the biggest touring bands in the world, for us Aussies anyway. 

If you compare them to their contemporarys, even though they rose well above them all, but GnR nowadays pull much bigger crowds than say Def Leppard, Motley Crue and the like who would be lucky to play in front of 5000 these days, compared to 50 000 like GnR do. So they have remarkably stood the test of time, despite how very little they have done creatively for decades. 

Definitely. I said this the other day too, in my country they've been selling out huge venues since the reunion. And the show for next year was sold out very quickly too, and this was before they released Absurd and Hard School and without any evidence of new music coming out anytime soon. Doesn't mean they're the biggest band here, I wouldn't even have a clue who that might be because I don't follow today's music much anymore, but touring wise they are one of the bigger acts out there at the moment. 

• Like 1

The thing is there hasn't been anything remotely close to being called "the biggest band in the world" since rock stopped being transcendent. The last band that could carry that label I think was Oasis (maybe) and that was 20 years ago. Therefore, mesozoic era bands like GN'R are still the biggest bands in the world. At least in South America, only the Stones and ACDC can sell more tickets than them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I have never heard anyone claim that GnR is the biggest in the world right now either.

I have - and there is some merit behind the claim.

Tour sales are much more important than album sales in these times.

GNR have just had the highest grossing tour of all time.

Are they the biggest band in the world - no.  Not even close.  

I'm just providing some context of why people might be saying it.

At least there is some basis for the claim (although the claim is incorrect overall).  It's not like someone is saying A Perfect Circle are the biggest band in the world, with absolutely nothing to back it up.

18 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

People have different reasons for following this band.

I'm never going to see them live again.  I wouldn't go for free if the stadium/arena was in walking distance.  I have absolutely no interest in standing/sitting there for 3 hours watching Rose wheeze through the same old setlist when I could be out having a drink, or sat at home watching TV.

If being out with your friends at a nostalgia concert is fun for you, then absolutely, go and enjoy.

I've followed the band in the hope that we'd get more studio releases.  Now it's obvious we won't, I'm simply keeping an interest in how long Rose can string some of you people along for whilst not writing/recording anything new.

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

I'm simply keeping an interest in how long Rose can string some of you people along for whilst not writing/recording anything new.

Why would you keep an interest in something like that? Why do you care if other people still like this band, with or without new material?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martinb33 said:

The thing is there hasn't been anything remotely close to being called "the biggest band in the world" since rock stopped being transcendent. The last band that could carry that label I think was Oasis (maybe) and that was 20 years ago. Therefore, mesozoic era bands like GN'R are still the biggest bands in the world. At least in South America, only the Stones and ACDC can sell more tickets than them.

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I've noticed that lately, even if 1 person says something silly like that, than some posters just can't resist to point out how it's factually incorrect and they just can't believe how delusional some fans are. Over and over again.

is it really that important to make it clear to everyone that Gn'R can't sell tickets anymore and it's not what it used to be twice a day? the satisfaction of educating other Gn'R fans on these important issues must be very rewarding.

I think that yes, sometimes fans can exaggerate when it comes to their favorite band, but that's a very small minority and is expected in every fanbase and it's fine to correct shit but it becomes like a constant thing.

Well, when people repeatedly engage in debates with others saying ludicrous or demonstrably untrue things then of course people are going to point out they are ludicrous or untrue. 

It's sort of the point of a band forum isn't it? Debate things and people pointing out when things aren't actually true?

I suppose we shouldn't really engage with those who seem suspiciously like trolls, and make these comments in order to stoke up an argument/give themselves a pat on the back for their "I'm a bigger fan than you" posts but someone is always going to be tempted, in an idle moment, to say something! 

Especially when there isn't really anything else to discuss at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

Why would you keep an interest in something like that? Why do you care if other people still like this band, with or without new material?

It's incredibly amusing, seeing people suckered in by this guy over and over again.

He is practically trolling at this point.  He releases two 'new' songs where he recorded his parts 20 years ago and people on here actually thought this might mean he's recorded actual new songs.

17 minutes ago, Pele said:

It's incredibly amusing, seeing people suckered in by this guy over and over again.

He is practically trolling at this point.  He releases two 'new' songs where he recorded his parts 20 years ago and people on here actually thought this might mean he's recorded actual new songs.

22 years ago. 1999, right? ;p

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Quite a peculiar interest you have, if you don't mind me saying, but to each their own I guess? You come across as someone who really wants other people to agree with you by constantly repeating the same criticism, but that's not going to happen. There will always be people who like this band whether or not they release music, no matter how often you repeat yourself and try to get your opinion heard. Maybe accept that already? Just some advice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pele said:

People have different reasons for following this band.

I'm never going to see them live again.  I wouldn't go for free if the stadium/arena was in walking distance.  I have absolutely no interest in standing/sitting there for 3 hours watching Rose wheeze through the same old setlist when I could be out having a drink, or sat at home watching TV.

If being out with your friends at a nostalgia concert is fun for you, then absolutely, go and enjoy.

I've followed the band in the hope that we'd get more studio releases.  Now it's obvious we won't, I'm simply keeping an interest in how long Rose can string some of you people along for whilst not writing/recording anything new.

Gotta be said - this part of the post really feeds to the ‘Pele is a troll’ narrative.

I just don’t see why folk would hang about a forum for trolling sakes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Gotta be said - this part of the post really feeds to the ‘Pele is a troll’ narrative.

I just don’t see why folk would hang about a forum for trolling sakes. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, you just keep buying your merch and your HardSkool singles, hoping that he'll eventually give you an album.

Edited by Pele

8 minutes ago, Pele said:

Yeah, you just keep buying your merch and your HardSkool singles, hoping that he'll eventually give you an album.

Dude - WTF is buying merch/a single got do with anything (of which I have neither…but anyway)?

Neither has anything to do with any new album….which can have as much 99 vocals as far as I care. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3

On 10/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, kiwiguns said:

Lol for real you joined in 2016 and I have not seen a single post that isn't just shitting on other people's posts you disagree with, I would suggest shitposting with us and talk GNR on occasion :lol:  

What's your fav GNR song?  Who is your fav GNR guitarist?  I think if your posts are all complaining about fans and nothing actually about GNR you may wanna reverse that lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Well, when people repeatedly engage in debates with others saying ludicrous or demonstrably untrue things then of course people are going to point out they are ludicrous or untrue. 

It's sort of the point of a band forum isn't it? Debate things and people pointing out when things aren't actually true?

I suppose we shouldn't really engage with those who seem suspiciously like trolls, and make these comments in order to stoke up an argument/give themselves a pat on the back for their "I'm a bigger fan than you" posts but someone is always going to be tempted, in an idle moment, to say something! 

Especially when there isn't really anything else to discuss at the moment. 

yes, in principal the point of a forum is to discuss the band and share differing opinions and of course you are free to debate whatever you want,  but are we really going to pretend that correcting ludicrous statements is where it ends? or that it is in proportion in quantity to a few fans saying ridiculous shit?

you present it like it is in your post. (it's so silly all the time, that it's warranted. I disagree)

and I honestly think that a lot of Gn'R fans have this really bitter attitude towards the band cause it is what it is and it's not something else. So when the same usual suspects say something ridiculous, it quickly divulges into how Gn'R doesn't care or could do this, that, and the other.

if that's what some people want to do, fine. I can always keep scrolling, but it takes away from the experience imo cause I'm genuinely interested in what those posters have to share when they're not bitching about how Gn'R is much less than what it is perceived to be by some other fans.

And just to clarify: critic of the band is healthy and welcomed but it's not always constructive and often just as exaggerated as those silly biggest band in the world statement/packed stadiums. (Axl can't sing anymore, the band doesn't give a shit, they're only going to release music after Axl is dead, why is Axl not doing what he doesn't want to do?, etc)

sometimes the baggage that comes with being the type of Gn'R fan that can't adjust their expectations makes it tedious to discuss. I think that's the point I was trying to make.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2