Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

5 minutes ago, Dean said:

Subjective. I've always thought the Appetite material had a lot more swagger live, regardless of the incarnation of the band and if you're going to dub in crowd noise, why not save yourself the hassle and just use Live Era which are full of overdubs?! Tremendous overdubs, I will grant them that. The best version of Rocket Queen is on that record, so naturally I disagree with your first claim, but as I said, all subjective!

That being said, I don't believe they see it that way. Which is why they've gone with the AFD audio.

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I never understood why they insist on playing the studio versions of the tunes over these types of videos. Axl sounds great on most of the Appetite songs, mix and master the soundboards and use them to give an idea of what you'll encounter, especially if you're going through the effort of dubbing in audience noise.

Am I just bitter that we haven't had a live release or a new album yet? Yes.

:lol:

I really did enjoy that last run. It took me on a journey I really wasn't expecting after that first show. More of the same next year, hopefully! Hopefully by then it'll be more than just a couple of singles they've released...

Or they could use the studio recording of one of their new songs instead of the same old same old WTTJ or whatever.

• Like 1

The song just isn’t good enough. Not interesting. It’s hardly played currently here on NY/NJ radio. It was played at least once a day the first couple of days after release but very little interest and feedback good or bad.

absurd garnered more interest 

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 2

Both are good songs, but Absurd sounds more honest, whereas Hard Skool sounds a little bit paint by the numbers. I guess casual fans dig Hard Skool more, but they will forget it come next year. Absurd one the other hand will be talked about. Some will love it and some will absolutely hate it. And I think that's the point of music. Making something that sparks a reaction. Guns N' Roses should embrace that with new music. I mean, it's what they used to do. Not every song they released was great, but they always sounded honest.

17 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

The song just isn’t good enough. Not interesting. It’s hardly played currently here on NY/NJ radio. It was played at least once a day the first couple of days after release but very little interest and feedback good or bad.

absurd garnered more interest 

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Although HS is the better track overall, I honsetly think Slash's leads on Absurd a far more interesting.

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Both are good songs, but Absurd sounds more honest, whereas Hard Skool sounds a little bit paint by the numbers. I guess casual fans dig Hard Skool more, but they will forget it come next year. Absurd one the other hand will be talked about. Some will love it and some will absolutely hate it. And I think that's the point of music. Making something that sparks a reaction. Guns N' Roses should embrace that with new music. I mean, it's what they used to do. Not every song they released was great, but they always sounded honest.

For me, it has nothing to do with whether it's a good song or not. Plentiful of terrible music has been extremely popular lol. 

I'm more concerned with the fact that GNR just seems to have zero interest in promoting themselves in any sort of creative way. 

• Like 2

Hard Skool is a good example of public interest in new GNR music. Its a decent song! Its quick, has good Axl and Slash parts, and is catchy. Yet, it came and went. The band could have done more to promote it, but eh, their time has gone. Hopefully they get the one last album out for the hell of it

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I couldn't give a rat's ass about how well this song does in the charts. I only care about whether I like it or not.

Well, the only reason I would care is if it affects Axl's confidence with a full album. Other than that, who cares?

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Well, the only reason I would care is if it affects Axl's confidence with a full album. Other than that, who cares?

That's actually a good point, if this affects his confidence, then I hope it goes to number one.

Besides that, I think it's kinda cool they put it out there without all the promo whoring like going on cheesy late night shows and doing a lot of annoying press. Almost 1,8 million views on YT in 4 weeks time isn't even that bad for a dinosaur band. Iron Maiden's song Stratego, with video, was released at the same time and has only 1 million views.

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

To be clear (and you know this personally) I actually don't care if the music I like is popular. However, many people on this board do care. So much so that they make up wild claims such as "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" or the laughable "they're packing stadiums!". 

So my post was merely meant to show how if GN'R put the smallest amount of thought into promotion, people outside of the forums would actually give a shit about them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

To be clear (and you know this personally) I actually don't care if the music I like is popular. However, many people on this board do care. So much so that they make up wild claims such as "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" or the laughable "they're packing stadiums!". 

So my post was merely meant to show how if GN'R put the smallest amount of thought into promotion, people outside of the forums would actually give a shit about them.

You see things through a very small hole in the wall.  Plenty of people outside of the forms and around the world give a shit as they are the ones actually turning up and paying to see the band.   They don't pick apart the band, are objective and go there with the sole purpose of enjoyment.  

You forget people outside of the US (your small hole in the wall) have less opportunities or no opportunity to see this band in there own country.  Some have to travel to a nearby country to see the band, as the band might not visit there own country.

These people don't care about promotion, they are simply excited to see their favorite band or GNR up close and in person.

I have travelled to the US, UK, South America and Australia to see this band from the other side of the world.

It will be 6 years until December 2022 that i will be able to see this band up close along with about 70,000 people in Auckland, who like myself have waited 6 years to see this band again or will go and see the band to simply enjoy themselves.. 

Will i be paying to see the band because of a lack of promotion or a new album. I will purchase a ticket to see the band, because there may not be another opportunity to see the band live in my own country again without travelling or the expense that goes with it. 

Maybe when you make comments as this. You should be mindful that to some people,  "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" and around the world they're packing stadiums. 

Being objective, the news the band is playing in Auckland, 2022 at Eden Park, the response has been positive and overwhelming. To these people  GN'R is the biggest band in the world and Kiwis will  pack the stadium.

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

You see things through a very small hole in the wall.  Plenty of people outside of the forms and around the world give a shit as they are the ones actually turning up and paying to see the band.   They don't pick apart the band, are objective and go there with the sole purpose of enjoyment.  

You forget people outside of the US (your small hole in the wall) have less opportunities or no opportunity to see this band in there own country.  Some have to travel to a nearby country to see the band, as the band might visit there own country.

These people don't care about promotion, they are simply excited to see their favorite or a GNR up close and in person.

I have travelled to the US, UK, South America and Australia to see this band from the other side of the world.

It will be 6 years until November 2022 that i will be able to see this band up close along with about 70,000 people in Auckland, who like myself have waited 6 years to see this band again or will go and see the band to simply enjoy themselves.. 

Will i be paying to see the band, because of a lack of promotion or a new album. I will purchase a ticket to see the band, because there may not be another opportunity to see the band live in my own country again. 

Maybe when you make a comments as this. You should be mindful that to some people,  "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" and around the world they're packing stadiums. 

Being objective, the news the band is playing in Auckland 2022 at Eden Park the response has been positive and overwhelming. To these people  GN'R is the biggest band in the world.  

The old "dumb American only cares about the US" isn't even remotely applicable here. 

The facts are these: if GN'R was the biggest band in the world, the first new material they released in 13 years would have much higher streaming numbers than they do. 

I too paid to see the band on this last US tour and had a great time. That didn't mean that I had to make things up like "they're packing stadiums" to justify the fun I had. 

Ticket prices were heavily discounted and the shows were still not even close to sold out. That's not packing stadiums and it's certainly not indicative of the "biggest band in the world". 

I get that there's countries all of the world that they haven't been to in a long time but again, that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. 

• Like 1

There's no 

Just now, kiwiguns said:

You forget people outside of the US (your small hole in the wall) have less opportunities or no opportunity to see this band in there own country.  Some have to travel to a nearby country to see the band, as the band might not visit there own country.

These people don't care about promotion, they are simply excited to see their favorite band or GNR up close and in person.

It will be 6 years until December 2022 that i will be able to see this band up close along with about 70,000 people in Auckland, who like myself have waited 6 years to see this band again or will go and see the band to simply enjoy themselves.. 

Will i be paying to see the band because of a lack of promotion or a new album. I will purchase a ticket to see the band, because there may not be another opportunity to see the band live in my own country again without travelling or the expense that goes with it. 

Maybe when you make comments as this. You should be mindful that to some people,  "GN'R is the biggest band in the world" and around the world they're packing stadiums. 

Being objective, the news the band is playing in Auckland, 2022 at Eden Park, the response has been positive and overwhelming. To these people  GN'R is the biggest band in the world and Kiwis will  pack the stadium.

To people that go to see GNR they are "the biggest band in the world"? That makes no sense whatsover. How about the people that go and see, say, Alter Bridge? Are they "the biggest band in the world" to them too? 

Being the "biggest in the world" is not subjective at all. Being someone's "favourite" band is (and GNR are certainly mine)  but being the "biggest" really isn't. And there's literally no metric that would suggest they are, hence them releasing two new songs that didn't really chart significantly and not selling out venues. 

I'm not quite sure why people feel so strongly about GNR being the "biggest band" and why it matters really. It's not the 1990s, and they aren't. That's not a problem or a criticism, just a fact. Things change. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I have never heard anyone claim that Guns N' Roses in 2021 is the biggest band in the world.

I've noticed that lately, even if 1 person says something silly like that, than some posters just can't resist to point out how it's factually incorrect and they just can't believe how delusional some fans are. Over and over again.

is it really that important to make it clear to everyone that Gn'R can't sell tickets anymore and it's not what it used to be twice a day? the satisfaction of educating other Gn'R fans on these important issues must be very rewarding.

I think that yes, sometimes fans can exaggerate when it comes to their favorite band, but that's a very small minority and is expected in every fanbase and it's fine to correct shit but it becomes like a constant thing.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I have never heard anyone claim that GnR is the biggest in the world right now either.

Me neither, it is just a bit of a throw away line probably.  

In reality there are certainly some regional differences. Here in Australia, they really are one of the most popular, biggest crowd-pulling acts on the planet still. Which is impressive. But again, thats a regional difference thing. Rock music is popular here in Australia, rap music much less so. So you could say that Guns n Roses is one of the biggest touring bands in the world, for us Aussies anyway. 

If you compare them to their contemporarys, even though they rose well above them all, but GnR nowadays pull much bigger crowds than say Def Leppard, Motley Crue and the like who would be lucky to play in front of 5000 these days, compared to 50 000 like GnR do. So they have remarkably stood the test of time, despite how very little they have done creatively for decades. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

Me neither, it is just a bit of a throw away line probably.  

In reality there are certainly some regional differences. Here in Australia, they really are one of the most popular, biggest crowd-pulling acts on the planet still. Which is impressive. But again, thats a regional difference thing. Rock music is popular here in Australia, rap music much less so. So you could say that Guns n Roses is one of the biggest touring bands in the world, for us Aussies anyway. 

If you compare them to their contemporarys, even though they rose well above them all, but GnR nowadays pull much bigger crowds than say Def Leppard, Motley Crue and the like who would be lucky to play in front of 5000 these days, compared to 50 000 like GnR do. So they have remarkably stood the test of time, despite how very little they have done creatively for decades. 

Definitely. I said this the other day too, in my country they've been selling out huge venues since the reunion. And the show for next year was sold out very quickly too, and this was before they released Absurd and Hard School and without any evidence of new music coming out anytime soon. Doesn't mean they're the biggest band here, I wouldn't even have a clue who that might be because I don't follow today's music much anymore, but touring wise they are one of the bigger acts out there at the moment. 

• Like 1

The thing is there hasn't been anything remotely close to being called "the biggest band in the world" since rock stopped being transcendent. The last band that could carry that label I think was Oasis (maybe) and that was 20 years ago. Therefore, mesozoic era bands like GN'R are still the biggest bands in the world. At least in South America, only the Stones and ACDC can sell more tickets than them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I have never heard anyone claim that GnR is the biggest in the world right now either.

I have - and there is some merit behind the claim.

Tour sales are much more important than album sales in these times.

GNR have just had the highest grossing tour of all time.

Are they the biggest band in the world - no.  Not even close.  

I'm just providing some context of why people might be saying it.

At least there is some basis for the claim (although the claim is incorrect overall).  It's not like someone is saying A Perfect Circle are the biggest band in the world, with absolutely nothing to back it up.