Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

In the tradition of CSI: GNR, I hereby speculate that the small bits of white tape on the head stocks of three of the basses are to mark alternate tunings. Since every pre-1993 Guns song was in E-flat tuning/a half-step down (minus The Garden which was Drop D a half-step down, otherwise known as Drop C#), that would seem to suggest some CD, VR, or otherwise unknown songs are included.

Or...a lot of bands drop down when playing live bc it's easier on the singer....just had a discussion about this with a buddy of mine who is in a band.

8 minutes ago, James Bond said:

In the tradition of CSI: GNR, I hereby speculate that the small bits of white tape on the head stocks of three of the basses are to mark alternate tunings. Since every pre-1993 Guns song was in E-flat tuning/a half-step down (minus The Garden which was Drop D a half-step down, otherwise known as Drop C#), that would seem to suggest some CD, VR, or otherwise unknown songs are included.

Lol! Too detailed ?

3 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Or...a lot of bands drop down when playing live bc it's easier on the singer....just had a discussion about this with a buddy of mine who is in a band.

You're right that it's not uncommon - we've seen that with KISS and AC/DC too. However, that would be a first for Guns N' Roses. It would also suggest that not all the songs are being tuned down to help Axl because only three of the basses are marked alternatively. My gut says CD songs.

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Ok buddy....they did on the Illisions tour, but you can say different.

No they didn't. All the songs on the UYI tour were played in the original keys. Don't confuse the fact that GNR plays a half-step down (E-flat tuning) with changing the keys of the songs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

You're right that it's not uncommon - we've seen that with KISS and AC/DC too. However, that would be a first for Guns N' Roses. It would also suggest that not all the songs are being tuned down to help Axl because only three of the basses are marked alternatively. My gut says CD songs.

I'm pretty sure they have dropped songs live...that's what I've been told from someone I trust.  At any rate, you could be right about the other reason some are tabbed for CD songs alternatively.  

im gonna chime in here. 

Slash to this day always plays a half step down, it has actually messeed up performances in the past, such as his super bowl appearance with BEP. 

My guess would be that those are in regular tunings, and would be used on CD songs as they are in normal key, and probably a couple other songs such as out to get me, or bad obession which are in open tunings as he would be playing the travis bean or a slide guitar. 

Just saying. 

Edited by Redout
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

I'm pretty sure they have dropped songs live...that's what I've been told from someone I trust.  At any rate, you could be right about the other reason some are tabbed for CD songs alternatively.  

Never. Arguably you could say they've dropped the key of the covers they do since they just do them in their typical E-flat tuning, but otherwise we've never had say a Civil War dropped to D minor or anything like that.

1 minute ago, GunnerOne 84 said:

I thought they were half a step down? Or is that just on the albums?

He's incorrect - they were a half step down live as well. No changes. The only exceptions in GNR's back catalogue are Bad Obsession (open tuning on Slash's guitar) and The Garden as I previously mentioned. They've never changed a key live.

• Like 4

Just now, James Bond said:

Never. Arguably you could say they've dropped the key of the covers they do since they just do them in their typical E-flat tuning, but otherwise we've never had say a Civil War dropped to D minor or anything like that.

He's incorrect - they were a half step down live as well. No changes. The only exceptions in GNR's back catalogue are Bad Obsession (open tuning on Slash's guitar) and The Garden as I previously mentioned. They've never changed a key live.

You you may be right, I'm just going on what I'm told from a friend who is a musician...and a fan.  

Just now, tsinindy said:

You you may be right, I'm just going on what I'm told from a friend who is a musician...and a fan.  

I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but so am I - a musician and a fan. ;)

Ask him to show you an example - he'll be hard pressed to find one.

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Your friend just might be confused on the fact that GNR record their music half a step down, so when they play it live it's the same half step down 

• Like 1