Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

@IncitingChaos is probably right there. He might have indeed said "they tune down" which isn't incorrect - it's just that that happens to be the tuning which they play/record in. The keys of the songs aren't actually changed from the original recordings. A half-step down/E-flat is very common in hard rock music to make the guitars a wee bit dirtier sounding. KISS, Van Halen, Guns, etc... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Your friend just might be confused on the fact that GNR record their music half a step down, so when they play it live it's the same half step down 

The whole half step down thing is the key to slash's bluesy sound, it gives it a bit of an edge and sounds more bluesy. 

Source: guitar player and musician for 20 some ought years who can play these songs lol.

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

That's where there's disagreement, but let's agree to disagree and move on 

There is no way slash would play a full step down, that would put him in drop D. Once dropped to D the chords change and there would be no way for him to play these songs. It would be literally impossible to play. 

But lets move on, i agree.

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

That's where there's disagreement, but let's agree to disagree and move on 

Load of shit. You are 100% wrong. It's not a disagreement cause it's not an opinion, it's a fact they tuned down a half step live as well, just like in the albums on the vast majority of tunes.

Edited by Rovim

29 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Never. Arguably you could say they've dropped the key of the covers they do since they just do them in their typical E-flat tuning, but otherwise we've never had say a Civil War dropped to D minor or anything like that.

He's incorrect - they were a half step down live as well. No changes. The only exceptions in GNR's back catalogue are Bad Obsession (open tuning on Slash's guitar) and The Garden as I previously mentioned. They've never changed a key live.

Bond is right.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

:facepalm:

say what you will, but that shit happens out here all the time.

It's actually the exact scenario of when Faith No More did their secret show there this past September. Thursday at midnight, announced the day of...not that that means anything necessarily but it goes to show how these things work.

I'm not a crazy GN'R fan coming up with theories..I live out here and these kind of shows are quite common in hollywood and LA and i've been fortunate enough go to quite a few (VR at the Whisky, VR in an empty parking lot, Faith No More at the troub, etc etc). We'll see though. Slash usually has his bands play a special show at the Roxy to kick off a tour, so I was more expecting that than anything but the troub would be cool and is the venue that rumors seem to be popping up about.

A warm up show IS gonna happen. Why people want to deny that, I don't know. They aren't going to play together for the first time in 20 years in front of a crowd to a huge arena-crowd...it's gonna be to 250-400 people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

say what you will, but that shit happens out here all the time.

It's actually the exact scenario of when Faith No More did their secret show there this past September. Thursday at midnight, announced the day of...not that that means anything necessarily but it goes to show how these things work.

I'm not a crazy GN'R fan coming up with theories..I live out here and these kind of shows are quite common in hollywood and LA and i've been fortunate enough go to quite a few (VR at the Whisky, VR in an empty parking lot, Faith No More at the troub, etc etc). We'll see though. Slash usually has his bands play a special show at the Roxy to kick off a tour, so I was more expecting that than anything but the troub would be cool and is the venue that rumors seem to be popping up about.

A warm up show IS gonna happen. Why people want to deny that, I don't know. They aren't going to play together for the first time in 20 years in front of a crowd to a huge arena-crowd...it's gonna be to 250-400 people.

Agree to disagree. I really don't think a warmup show is going to happen. But I do hope I'm wrong.