Official GNR Social Media Update / Discussion

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

"I can't enjoy myself or GNR unless they keep their opinions to themselves." LOL. Okay.

Americans take their politics really seriously. :P 

Jim Carrey did a funny or die video a few years back that mocked the NRA and he was torn a new one - the backlash was so vitriolic, he's been quiet ever since. Let's not forget the dixie chicks either. This stuff can backfire badly even with the best of intentions. 

On 3/26/2017 at 9:49 AM, killuridols said:

No, this is the easy comment Axl's nutswingers use to justify that he's as obsessed and annoying as Del James, but most of them don't want to hang from Del's sack, so Axl's tweets about Trump become as equally amazing as if he was announcing new music :facepalm:

Maybe he and del talk about politics, I dunno. At least he writes his own tweets/social media.

7 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Do you guys think the fact that Steven still enjoys recreation has anything to do with them steering clear of bringing him back full-time? Not just the influence on the actual band members but the road crew, family & kids they lug around? I know Slash has no problems having people drink in front of him but maybe its harder for duff who slighting slipped off the wagon with pills in VR? It would be kinda awkward to have steven off to the side engaging alone no?

What are you talking about? Steven is out of those things so they don't have that excuse. A few years ago Duff talked about that and it was an issue for him, he said it reminded him of his dark days or something like that so if Steven was still using, it would be understandable if Duff didn't want him around too much. But again, Steven is clean now so they don't have that issue to worry about.

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed, but it just makes good business sense to stay away from stuff like that.

Then I hope he'll write 75 tweets a day against Trump. I'm sick of this whole business thing. I would be proud to see him stand for what he believes risking his own success. I guess that's what Don't Damn Me is about too, speaking your mind despite the possiblity of offending others.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Axl should be happy when the president of the us acknowledge you on numerous occasions.

Being the president of the US or any other country is completely irrelevant if you're a piece of shit as a human being, which is clearly Axl's opinion on Trump. Personally, I guess I would feel proud if I was complimented by Nelson Mandela but I would be worried if I was complimented by Adolf Hitler. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I was thinking, maybe Axl is actively campaigning for Hillary but he's just late as always :smiley-confused2:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed, but it just makes good business sense to stay away from stuff like that. American politics is so polarizing these days. Since they're doing a cash grab tour, there's no point in alienating a huge portion of their fanbase with politically charged twitter comments. These tweets are picked up by Breitbart and other right-leaning sites and circulated to a wider audience. There will be a number of people who will boycott GnR now -- whether it makes a dent in the attendance of the summer NITL shows remains to be seen. But you're right, he has every right to say what he wants. 

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Americans take their politics really seriously. :P 

Jim Carrey did a funny or die video a few years back that mocked the NRA and he was torn a new one - the backlash was so vitriolic, he's been quiet ever since. Let's not forget the dixie chicks either. This stuff can backfire badly even with the best of intentions. 

I can see that side of it and you're absolutely correct, business wise it's very risky. The Dixie Chick still haven't fully recovered from that speech and it's been well over 10 years. So that's definitely something to consider. On the flip side, Axl has a huge following. If him talking about politics - no matter what side of the fence he's on - gets people talking and interested in what's going on in the world then I think that's a good thing. It just seems like a waste to have that much influence to only use it for tweeting emjois.  

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

I can see that side of it and you're absolutely correct, business wise it's very risky. The Dixie Chick still haven't fully recovered from that speech and it's been well over 10 years. So that's definitely something to consider. On the flip side, Axl has a huge following. If him talking about politics - no matter what side of the fence he's on - gets people talking and interested in what's going on in the world then I think that's a good thing. It just seems like a waste to have that much influence to only use it for tweeting emjois.  

It could only backfire in the U.S. and to some degree only, not in Europe or South America. I think Axl has nothing to worry about

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 0:11 PM, xBrownstonex said:

Good for you. But there are people who find it interesting what their favourite artist has to say about whats going on in the world. Guns were always political in some way. Afd was a fuck you to society. I dont get why people are harmed by what artists have to say about politics. Its ridiculous and narrow minded.

Agreed. Celebrities, at the end of the day, are private citizens and they have their opinions too. And they're also in a position to speak out against things, if they wish. Some people want that. I certainly appreciate it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Padme said:

It could only backfire in the U.S. and to some degree only, not in Europe or South America. I think Axl has nothing to worry about

You don't think people throughout the rest of the world have intense and polarizing views on Trump and American politics in general? Damn, how ignorant.

4 minutes ago, blackieloveless said:

Cant imagine anyone backing "sanctuary cities " , I understand why the "stars" do they are hold up in mansions with big wrought iron fences and security and are also rubbing elbows with the globalists .

Anyone who's an asylum seeker who requires them to access heath services for their children. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

If Trump stuff backfires for Axl?  What about how Trumps stuff has backfired on Trump?  I thought his supporters liked how he's the best at making and closing deals?  Wasn't he supposed to successfully change a bunch of stuff?  Trumps utter failures justify Axls comments.

And plus I remember when the Trump blow up doll thing was a big deal here on the GNR forums, some people were saying how bad it was for ticket sales and GNR's reputation but in the grand scheme of things not only was there no backlash, nobody really seems to care.  There is going to be no backfire 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed, but it just makes good business sense to stay away from stuff like that. American politics is so polarizing these days. Since they're doing a cash grab tour, there's no point in alienating a huge portion of their fanbase with politically charged twitter comments. These tweets are picked up by Breitbart and other right-leaning sites and circulated to a wider audience. There will be a number of people who will boycott GnR now -- whether it makes a dent in the attendance of the summer NITL shows remains to be seen. But you're right, he has every right to say what he wants. 

Yea it seems GNR is falling into the trap of what on the surface appears to be popular opinion. It seems popular because the media only focuses on the sentiments of those in liberal cities like NY, DC & LA while neglecting the rest of America which painted the election map red and got Trump elected. I thought Dems learned from their mistakes but they continue to repeat them. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump wins again in 4yrs by a landslide this time