Folk Music

st0n3r

Guest deleted_19765

All genres start to make no sense at some point, but "Folk" has to be the worst. It used to be traditional acoustic music, like Pete Seeger or Blues. Now its just about the opposite, anything original by a singer-songwriter who has an acoustic guitar. Then again, there is "Folk Metal" with electric guitars. The term has lost any meaning. I haven't yet heard music that wasn't made by folks, so I don't see what it means.

Edited by AgainstAllOdds

All genres start to make no sense at some point, but "Folk" has to be the worst. It used to be traditional acoustic music, like Pete Seeger or Blues. Now its just about the opposite, anything original by a singer-songwriter who has an acoustic guitar. Then again, there is "Folk Metal" with electric guitars. The term has lost any meaning. I haven't yet heard music that wasn't made by folks, so I don't see what it means.

+100

One of the first shows I played was at this little basement that was pretty well known but they didn't have an entertainment license so there was no cover, anyway I get there and find out I'm playing with a bunch of "Folk Punk" artists, and I'm just thinking... what the hell is that? Well it turned out to be guys with dreadlocks banging on acoustic guitars screaming about killing police officers and whatever other retarded anarchist ideas they had. I GUESS you could call that folk punk but they weren't no folks I'd want to pal around with, it was pretty much the worst excuse for talent I've ever seen, they hardly knew how to play guitar, the vocals never lined up with the "music", and the lyrics were just... bad. It was just a big joke, like there's this idea "strap folk to anything and those hipster punks will be obligated to like it", thats really what the atmosphere felt like in there, just a bunch of self indulging dumbasses

I really like Against Me! Some say they play folky music, I don't really agree but I see where somebody would get that from, their songs are just so anthemic

Edited by sweetness

While I do agree that there is no exact definition of the term 'folk music', one can easily hear the difference between the songs I posted and a couple of anarchist retards screaming over some bagpipes.

Edited by st0n3r