Should Axl follow this example

Stipemanblue

Hey guys, I noticed on the Iron Man 2 trailer, the logo lettering is:

IRON 2 MAN

The 2 is out front a little bit but it's in the middle. It seems like Chinese D. 2 would be even more interesting looking like this on the album cover:

Chinese 2 Democracy.

Interested to hear your thoughts about this.

I'd hope that they don't call the next album Chinese Democracy 2...

I have mixed feelings about this. In one sense, they ARE songs that were recorded during the Chinese Democracy sessions. Also, it would justify them going out on the 3rd "Chinese Democracy World Tour" since 2002.

On the other hand, that name has a certain negative stigma about it that this band might want to get rid of. A different title for the next album might seem like a fresh start to some of the more lukewarm and out of the loop fans, aka the majority.

To be honest, they can call it "Clown Farts" and I'd still buy the damn thing. I just wanna hear it.

Edited by sofine11

I have mixed feelings about this. In one sense, they ARE songs that were recorded during the Chinese Democracy sessions. Also, it would justify them going out on the 3rd "Chinese Democracy World Tour" since 2002.

On the other hand, that name has a certain negative stigma about it that this band might want to get rid of. A different title for the next album might seem like a fresh start to some of the more lukewarm and out of the loop fans.

To be honest, they can call it "Clown Farts" and I'd still buy the damn thing. I just wanna hear it.

I got to say the most interesting thing, other than the actual music on the next record, will be the name of it. Im pretty sure Axl has a name made up already but hasn't told anyone but the higher ups at Geffen, probably using some "working title". Im hoping we get an album late this year with the tour, but thats really dreaming. I want more new GnR goodness, the mix of guitars, pianos and synths, acoustic drums and Axl's voice and lyrics is golden in my opinion.

I don't know why some people have it in their minds that this might never come out. As recent as last year during the Axl chats, he said that November 09 release was a possibility. My guess is that as soon as this tour is over, they are going to concentrate on getting the next album out.

I think it's obvious that the original, albeit ideal, plan was for Guns to tour in the summer and fall of 09 and then drop the next album in November again. Since the tour is still in it's early stages now, my guess is that they will tour on Chinese for now and then put the next album out accordingly and then tour on that.

The only trepidations I have about all that is the current lack of management as well as Axl's very public disputes with the label. I really hope that doesn't delay things any more than they currently are.

On the other hand, that name has a certain negative stigma about it that this band might want to get rid of. A different title for the next album might seem like a fresh start to some of the more lukewarm and out of the loop fans, aka the majority.

The Clash was a band that released double and triple albums. Actually Bill Price, the guy who engineered Sandinista! also worked on the Illusion albums. Anyway, even though a lot of bands release a double album one time and then go back to releasing single albums, it would be nice to see GN'R follow in the footsteps of a band like The Clash that put out a big group of songs under the same title.

I kinda wish people would stop talking about the second album, they only just started touring the first one.

They already toured this album before it came out. Hell, they played half of it live on the 06 tour. That is why people aren't frothing at the mouth for another CD tour, and would prefer instead some new material that in some cases has not been played live for 9 years already.

The "they just started touring this album" contingent fails to acknowledge that reality. It is not like they just released a new album last year with 14 brand new songs that had never been played/heard before.

I kinda wish people would stop talking about the second album, they only just started touring the first one.

They already toured this album before it came out. Hell, they played half of it live on the 06 tour. That is why people aren't frothing at the mouth for another CD tour, and would prefer instead some new material that in some cases has not been played live for 9 years already.

The "they just started touring this album" contingent fails to acknowledge that reality. It is not like they just released a new album last year with 14 brand new songs that had never been played/heard before.

Gotta say, this really sums up how I feel too. I can't wait til' the Toronto show and would see then live as many times as possible if I could. That said, my real anticipation lies with the next album. We've had PLENTY of time to enjoy Chinese Democracy. Let's hear what else is in the can!

But this is the first of the three tours to actually have the album released and Axl has said they are going to spend at least 2 years working behind it and it looks like those 2 years started in Asia. He also said that the package, in terms of the album, is delivered, in his view, when there is a tour behind it and promotion such as videos and singles are released. Until then I don't see much point in talking about a second album.

Edited by plonker88

He also said that the package, in terms of the album, is delivered, in how view, when there is a tour behind it and promotion such as videos and singles are released.

At this point then it is time to abort that plan, because the album is dead. There are going to be no more singles. The first 2 couldn't get a lick of airplay, yet 14 months later a new single is going to magically take hold? Not going to happen.

The problem with Axl and his handlers is you can't create a HTGTH world of pretend in the real world. Just wishing it would be doesn't make it so.

He waited too long to show any interest in this album after it was released to ever hope to do anything constructive with it. That is reality.

Whether it is the first CD tour with the album out or not is irrelevant, because having been on 2 CD tours already he watered down the impact a CD tour would have as touring on the album name and playing half of it live to most people constitutes a tour in support of the album.

Pretending those tours didn't happen doesn't erase them, and outside of a few songs on the normal set list (not that one marathon show) people have already pretty much seen the same CD show in 06.

It is this same naivete that saw them release a pair of singles last year (one that had been played live 7 years earlier) and the other that had been circulating around the net for 2.5 years in almost identical final form (the Better leak) and pretending that it wasn't going to have an impact on their success as singles.

They weren't official releases, but it doesn't mean that people hadn't already heard them in many cases. Just slapping the "official" label on them didn't change a thing. They were still old songs that weren't fresh and weren't generating excitement.

Much the same way this tour is just a retread of the same 06 tour, and is not going to generate the type of excitement in markets they hit in 06 as it would with a new album of songs that they hadn't spent a ton of time playing live with a new single on the radio people actually cared about.

He also said that the package, in terms of the album, is delivered, in how view, when there is a tour behind it and promotion such as videos and singles are released.

At this point then it is time to abort that plan, because the album is dead. There are going to be no more singles. The first 2 couldn't get a lick of airplay, yet 14 months later a new single is going to magically take hold? Not going to happen.

The problem with Axl and his handlers is you can't create a HTGTH world of pretend in the real world. Just wishing it would be doesn't make it so.

He waited too long to show any interest in this album after it was released to ever hope to do anything constructive with it. That is reality.

Whether it is the first CD tour with the album out or not is irrelevant, because having been on 2 CD tours already he watered down the impact a CD tour would have as touring on the album name and playing half of it live to most people constitutes a tour in support of the album.

Pretending those tours didn't happen doesn't erase them, and outside of a few songs on the normal set list (not that one marathon show) people have already pretty much seen the same CD show in 06.

It is this same naivete that saw them release a pair of singles last year (one that had been played live 7 years earlier) and the other that had been circulating around the net for 2.5 years in almost identical final form (the Better leak) and pretending that it wasn't going to have an impact on their success as singles.

They weren't official releases, but it doesn't mean that people hadn't already heard them in many cases. Just slapping the "official" label on them didn't change a thing. They were still old songs that weren't fresh and weren't generating excitement.

Much the same way this tour is just a retread of the same 06 tour, and is not going to generate the type of excitement in markets they hit in 06 as it would with a new album of songs that they hadn't spent a ton of time playing live with a new single on the radio people actually cared about.

Hard to argue with. Good points.

I think the fact that Axl actually has the second album done and could have it out within, oh 3 months, if he wanted to, shows just how little interest he has in generating any real excitment around this band.

Why, I'll never know.

Edited by sofine11

Billy Corgan is a songwriter who's work I really enjoy. He has updated his fans with info about his new 44 song album he's releasing one song at a time in the next few years. Billy Corgan has mentioned a lot of details to his fan base and it's really great to see a rock star that actually deserves fans by keeping them posted on what's in store. Here's the point: As nice as it is getting so much musical material from other bands we love. As nice as it is getting updates about the musical goings on from bands we love. We still, at least all of us here, go back to GN'R and care about their music and one of the reasons is "the not knowing." It is always a mystery what is happening from one year to the next.

hopefully the chinese democracy follow up will sell more than a hundred copies unlike CD

Yeah, I can't believe Chinese Democracy only sold 97 copies :(

Well we technically dont know how much it sold. But between 82-99 copies is the estimate.

I could care less how much it sells. I mean obviously I want the band to do well so they keep making music, but some people around here you'd think base their own enjoyment on how much cash CD made and how much the follow up will make. Lame.

I could care less how much it sells. I mean obviously I want the band to do well so they keep making music, but some people around here you'd think base their own enjoyment on how much cash CD made and how much the follow up will make. Lame.

I care about how much it sells because I want more people to enjoy the music as much as I do

+ 1

Some people are getting way ahead of themselves.

Yeah, weird wanting to hear the rest of the songs that have been done for over 5 years now right?