Security at Winnipeg show instructed to turn away people if they showed up in Slash shirts/tophats

madison

Somebody started a thread yesterday claiming that security at the Winnipeg show was told not to allow people into the venue if they were wearing Slash shirts. Since there was no proof at the time that this happened, I closed the thread.

However, I have since verified this and found it to be true.

I spoke to a security manager who was there for the show, and he told me that he was specifically instructed not to allow people into the show if they wore Slash shirts or were dressed in Slash gear with tophats. He told me three people were turned away for this during Winnipeg's show. In some cases, they had to turn their shirts inside-out or leave the tophat outside the venue. This particular manager told me he's covered security for major bands for 22 years - everyone from the Stones to U2 - and thought this particular request was rather odd. (He was more colorful in his comments, but you get the idea).

So, I'm re-opening the discussion on this.

Axl - what were you thinking? Seriously.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody started a thread yesterday claiming that security at the Winnipeg show was told not to allow people into the venue if they were wearing Slash shirts. Since there was no proof at the time that this happened, I closed the thread.

However, I have since verified this and found it to be true.

I spoke to a security manager who was there for the show, and he told me that he was specifically instructed not to allow people into the show if they wore Slash shirts or were dressed in Slash gear with tophats. He told me three people were turned away for this during Winnipeg's show. In some cases, they had to turn their shirts inside-out or leave the tophat outside the venue. This particular manager told me he's covered security for major bands for 22 years - everyone from the Stones to U2 - and thought this particular request was rather odd. (He was more colorful in his comments, but you get the idea).

So, I'm re-opening the discussion on this.

Axl - what were you thinking? Seriously.

Very strange indeed. I hope people believe us so called "cupcakes" now.

^^

Yeah, I'll eat a little crow. I didn't believe this, when it was first posted/talked about.

Funny, people always talk about Slash being obessed with a reunion, or getting back with Axl, yet in reality, hearing about this and Axl's interviews/twitter, it sees to me that Axl's obssessed/paranoid with Slash.

Edited by SunnyDRE

How do we know it was Axl who requested this?

Anyone in the management could have asked for this so he won't end up diving into the crowd or anything.

True, although he definately knows about it now... but nevertheless, what the fuck? :P

Anyone in the management could have asked for this so he won't end up diving into the crowd or anything.

True, although he definately knows about it now... but nevertheless, what the fuck? :P

Yeah it does seem a bit ridiculous.

I can see more and more people turning up in Slash/VR shirts now just to see if they can get away with it.

True.

Anyone confirmation from you source, Madison, if Axl specifically requested this?

Ali

True.

Anyone confirmation from you source, Madison, if Axl specifically requested this?

Ali

The security guard I talked to in 2006 and the guy I talked to the other night was told it was Axl's request.

True.

Ali

The security guard I talked to in 2006 and the guy I talked to the other night was told it was Axl's request.

Didn't ask you. And, a security guard wouldn't know if it came down from Axl, anyway. A security manager, yes, but not a security guard. The guard will just do what he's told.

Ali

Guest siliconmessiah

Seriously. What is it that people don´t understand.

There is a fucking war going on between Axl Rose and Saul Hudson.

It won´t be solved in anyones of those two persons life time.

Axl Rose hates Slash, probably more than anything in this world, and does not want to be reminded of him - ever.

Slash is no longer a part of Guns N´ Roses - and he never will again.

Edited by siliconmessiah

True.

Ali

He said it was Axl's request.

But you never know - maybe a handler told him Axl wanted this. Not sure. But, in his answers to me, he said "Axl."

True.

Ali

Didn't ask you. And, a security guard wouldn't know if it came down from Axl, anyway. A security manager, yes, but not a security guard. The guard will just do what he's told.

Ali

I actually saw them do this is 2006 as well. The security at the door was yelling out that anybody wearing Slash tshirts will not be allowed into the show, and he aslo kept saying, this is Axl's orders.

True.

Ali

But you never know - maybe a handler told him Axl wanted this. Not sure. But, in his answers to me, he said "Axl."

Agreed Madison. I find it strange that it wasn't reported happening in other cities though.

True.

Ali

Considering a press release about the LAX paparazzi incident was released without Axl's consent, it's possible someone requested it on his behalf thinking he would flip out if he saw people in Slash gear.

Ali

somebody in the GNR camp feels intimidated....

this is ridiculous... and as mentioned before, thiw ill cause a lot of trouble... a lot of people will turn with Slash's shirts just to cause trouble.....

oh man, i like GNR, new or old, but this is a circus

True.

Ali

Ali

I actually saw them do this is 2006 as well. The security at the door was yelling out that anybody wearing Slash tshirts will not be allowed into the show, and he aslo kept saying, this is Axl's orders.

I went to three shows in three different cities across the US in 2006 and at every show I saw people wearing Slash t-shirts, VR t-shirts, etc. I never saw anyone being turned away. Like I said, I don't believe a security guard would have confirmation that this came straight down from Axl. He'll just be told something and then regurgitate it.

Ali

Wow, Axl is coming off as 1 little insecure dude. Granted, I don't see the point in wearing a Slash or VR shirt to a NewGnR show, but still. That's some pretty childish shit ,IMO. Once word of this gets out, and it will, I wonder how many people will show up in Slash shirts just to try to get a rise out of Axl.

in 2006 ? C'mon I was at two concerts in 2006 and I've noticed anything like that, what's more my friend came with Slash t-shirt and not a single security guy took notice - BS

Maybe it happened at Winnipeg I don't know, but for sure it didn't happen in 2006

And why someone would show up in Slash/VR t-shirt ? it like going to Black Label Society show in Limb Bizkit t-shirt

Edited by eye2eye