David Bowie appreciation thread.

Guest Nasty Nate

I like a bit of his stuff, but he's overrated by tons of people, in my opinion.

david bowie can only be underrated

Sorry, but that isn't true. People have proven time and time and time and time and time again that it isn't true. Maybe because I have some nutty Bowie-loving cousin, or maybe because it seems that every forum I go on he's worshipped, but he seems to be more overrated than underrated.

I think he's underrated within the general public...depending on which aspects you're considering. Music fans acknowledge him plenty, but I know plenty more people that don't really know much beyond the hit singles. My younger sister loves "Changes" but probably couldn't name any of his other tunes. The great thing about Bowie is that like Dylan, Springsteen and Young, he's one of those dudes who's got countless hidden gems that didn't hit the charts but are just damn great tunes.

Low is a masterpiece, for example.

I'm inclined to believe "Heroes" may be top five of all time. I'd rank it with God Only Knows and a couple other songs as truly defining "pop."

Edited by Estranged Reality

I've slowly been getting into David Bowie the past few months. Some of his stuff I find really rubbish and other stuff I find amazing. It's cool that he changed his style every few years to keep it fresh, so there is at least some stuff of his I love and other stuff I'll probably never like.

He's one of my heroes!

I thought of one thing.. If there's one person or one band that's difficult to place in a category when it comes to their music, it's Bowie. He's not playing pop, rock or whatever you want it to be. He's playing Bowie! :D

Fave album is Aladdin Sane. And it isn't only a brilliant album, the cover is at least just as amazing as the music on it :heart:

His music is not my cup of tea, at least according to the past few times I tried to give him a chance. My mum's a huge fan, tho.

Same boat.

A few great songs. But the majority of the rest are just boring to me. I dated a girl back in the day when he was fronting Tin Men? or whatever they were called, and she tried to get me into the Bowie experience. Boring.

But I do have a weird uncle who thinks Bowie is God.

Bowie is one of the best artists of the last century.

My weird 55 year old uncle agress with you.

I am weird, everyone in this thread who likes Bowie is weird, Bowie is weird. your uncle is weird. The whole world is weird. Glad that you are the only normal human being on this planet, eh? :rolleyes:

Bowie is one of the best artists of the last century.

My weird 55 year old uncle agress with you.

I am weird, everyone in this thread who likes Bowie is weird, Bowie is weird. your uncle is weird. The whole world is weird. Glad that you are the only normal human being on this planet, eh? :rolleyes:

Ummm, my weird 62 year-old mom agrees with Jean as well.

YAY for weird people!