David Bowie appreciation thread.

Guest Nasty Nate

i enjoy him. i remember one day just switching on the tv to see the last ziggy stardust show and it was amazing, so i got some of his cds. not heard much of his later stuff. is it worthwhile?

"Heathen" is a freakin amazing album, and "Reality" is pretty good too. Most of the other later stuff I'm not all that into.

NASA Launches David Bowie Concept Mission

FEBRUARY 8, 2010 | ISSUE 46•06

CAPE CANAVERAL, FL—NASA officials announced today the successful launch of the new shuttle Moonage Daydream, marking the beginning of a long-anticipated two-week conceptual mission inspired by British rock star David Bowie.

NASA-Launches-R.article_0.jpg

The crew of Moonage Daydream embark on the 4.5 billion dollar, genre-defying mission.

According to NASA administrator Maj. Gen. Charles F. Bolden, Jr., the highly experimental glam space program—dubbed Project Starman—has been in development for exactly five years. Though engineers initially feared the mission might "blow our minds," the historic launch ultimately proceeded without incident.

"Admittedly, this is a very bold and risky departure for the agency," said Bolden, later adding that Bowie's Ziggy Stardust period and other outer-space-related work has been a major influence on NASA's direction since the early 1970s. "Those familiar with NASA's previous, more conventional research and exploration sensibilities are going to be in for quite a shock. Many are likely to be confused and threatened by the boundary-pushing nature of the project."

"This mission certainly isn't for everyone," Bolden added.

NASA chief engineer Mike Ryschkewitsch said that Moonage Daydream differs from earlier shuttle models in several significant ways. Though the overall shape is similar to previous crafts, the exterior of the $4.5 billion vehicle has been fitted with improved shielding, making it better equipped to withstand the hazy cosmic jive.

In addition to the shuttle redesign, several other daring changes have been made to NASA's equipment. According to Ryschkewitsch, the astronauts, or "spaceboys," as they will be called during the mission, are equipped with state-of-the-art pressurized suits.

NASA-Launches-Jump-R.article.jpg

NASA's re-designed Spirit rover, nicknamed 'Leper Messiah,' will measure if sunlight striking the Martian surface is strong enough to produce a snow white tan.

"These new suits are veneered with a protective silver lamé to complement the multicolored lightning bolts emblazoned across the helmets' sun visors," Ryschkewitsch said. "They've also been updated with several improved components to ensure the team is completely safe when it's time to leave the capsule—if they dare."

The five-member crew is made up entirely of United States Air Force officers and includes Maj. Tom Louis, Maj. Tom Greely, Maj. Tom Ohweiler, Maj. Thomas Sinclair, and Maj. Tom Keenan.

While the mission will primarily study paranoia, decadence, and the fluidity of sexual identity in a zero-gravity environment, additional scientific testing will be conducted during the shuttle's 14-day orbit of Earth.

"One of the experiments we're most excited about will address the effects of Mars-like conditions on several different species of arachnids," NASA biologist Norman Stern said.

Public response to the project has been generally positive. Many Americans, however, consider the mission an egotistical and self-indulgent waste of taxpayer money.

"I just don't see this launch having any sort of lasting influence on future space exploration," St. Louis attorney Kevin Moran said. "Certainly NASA has to take risks to further mankind's knowledge, but this mission is simply too ambitious in scope to sustain mainstream interest."

Added Moran, "It's pretty out there."

Though NASA has defended the importance of Project Starman, it has reportedly scrapped a T. Rex–inspired mission named Project Interstellar Soul, saying that the launch of the zinc-alloy probe Venus Loon was made laughably irrelevant by the current program.

Source

• 3 weeks later...

I think he's done a lot of interesting things and was always interested in what was contemporary, whether it was popular or not.

He def. deserves the credit for a lot of things.

Not a lot of people are going to get John Lennon to be their background musician. Or Luther Vandross to be a background singer. On the same album. Or get Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lou Reed, and Iggy Pop noticed. But also, getting to sing a Syd Barrett song with PInk Floyd or Waterloo Sunset with Ray Davies are pretty cool. Or having John Lennon be there watching you sing a Beatles song. Or one of Queen's best songs ever.

Music video pioneer, almost about as long as he's been putting albums out.

Or can say they've worked with Marlene Dietrich and Bing Crosby... and did a really good job playing Warhol. He did see him around enough times to be able to mimic him pretty good. Pontius Pilate in Last Temptation, Man Who Fell To Earth, Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence.. some good movies.

And face it, both Axl and Slash prob. have VERY different opinions on Bowie... but you do have to wonder why David Bowie and Slash have never worked together.

Bowie gets top 10 of worst things thrown at a rock star by an audience member. A lollipop stuck in his eye is freaking gross.

Also, you can go through his catalog and find a lot of songs that have held up well. The 80s era was pretty weak, and we really did NOT need to see Jagger and Bowie dancing in the street, but still there are a lot of good moments.

I wouldn't say he is a true original, because he would work with people who were and used it on his records, but he did change the face of music.

Also, another interesting thing, not sure if it was mentioned - his son, formerly Zowie Bowie, changed his name to Duncan Jones - directed the movie "Moon" that Sam Rockwell is in and was really good...it's a trippy flick without a doubt, but if you haven't seen it, it was one of the best films of 2009. He's no longer just "David Bowie's son".

I saw his final full ive show in Provinssi rock 2004. He was some 20 hours away from his heart attack back then. And still. sheer amount of energy and pure joy of performing put every other artist of the festival in shame.

I've never seen an artist with even remotely equal amount of stage charisma.

In some ways, it is a shame how his admittedly brilliant creations of 70's and early 80's overshadow everything else he has since achieved. 1st outside and his final album,Reality, never got the praise or attention they'd deserve.

....Ofc neither compares to the saddeing odd brilliant mindfuk road trip through cold war era eastern europe that is Low.

Bring Me The Disco King (Lohner Mix) from Reality:

Heart's filthy lesson from 1. Outside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_sjm2YiL6E

Edited by LTD

Guest Len B'stard

Like the ignoramus that i am, i hated Bowie for many years for no reason other than i thought him a bit of a try hard. So the other day i'm in my car and i'm waiting to pick someone up and i stick this Bowie CD i have on, i think its like his singles or whatever, of which i've only heard Jean Genie and Starman.

Two songs i really hooked onto were (the names i dont know) one of em goes, this is ground control to major tom, you've really made the grade. and the other one went Ziggy played the guitar or whatever. I really liked em and they sound sorta familiar in the way certain old songs tend to nowadays since they've been sold to television commercials and what have you.

Wouldn't mind an albums worth of Jean Genie type stuff :)

Like the ignoramus that i am, i hated Bowie for many years for no reason other than i thought him a bit of a try hard. So the other day i'm in my car and i'm waiting to pick someone up and i stick this Bowie CD i have on, i think its like his singles or whatever, of which i've only heard Jean Genie and Starman.

Two songs i really hooked onto were (the names i dont know) one of em goes, this is ground control to major tom, you've really made the grade. and the other one went Ziggy played the guitar or whatever. I really liked em and they sound sorta familiar in the way certain old songs tend to nowadays since they've been sold to television commercials and what have you.

Wouldn't mind an albums worth of Jean Genie type stuff :)

I think the two songs you liked were "Space Oddity" and "Ziggy Stardust".