bumblefoot interview at ultimate-guitar.com

riot

How you can possibly constantly drag up bad points about this well executed, insightful, respectful interview and talk down to anyone who appreciated it is pretty damn surprising. Ron's not in the habit of lying, if he says something is the way it is, it's because it IS that way, you can shout at people like BBA until you die of oxygen starvation... you could probably take the fucker backstage and SHOW him the band dynamic of them all hanging out and having fun and he'd still probably say to them "Yeah, but you guys aren't really friends, right? it's all about the money, c'mon I can see it in your eyes!"

For fuck's sake it's not like these guys are short of work or not in demand in any way, they could make all the money they wanted outside of GNR, they're maybe not so visible in the public sphere but as session musicians in the industry, guys like Fortus have an incredible reputation, they're in it because they want to be in the band. Ron's another one, he doesn't need the money, his wife's a practicing vet for fuck's sake, and if he felt it was a bullshit or a phoney environment he would be out of there, it is not essential to his life. What has MADE it essential is the camaraderie they have, you can see it onstage, you can hear it from the conversations you hear int he monitor mixes, in the backstage stories from guys like Revolver. Ron's a musician's musician and if he does anything at all it's for the love of the music and the experience, not for the money, why do you think he'd like to see Guns become more independent? So they can make more cash and increase his fat paycheck which makes the gag order worthwhile? No, because he wants to be creative with the band. The reason that he doesn't sahre intimate details of the band's personal life is out of RESPECT for his FRIENDS. you can say "well back in the day they all talked about each other in interviews!" yeah well they all hate each other now, look where that got them.

Yet the same people choose to ignore it all time and again because it doesn't suit them, step back from it all and LISTEN or READ what is being said, there is no "between the lines" you guys are worse than goddamn 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

I'm not seeing the world through rose-tinted spectacles either, I'm just being objective... the evidence is all there.

Fucking great interview Ronald!

I stand corrected. People were banging down Frank's door due to his stellar work in Pisser. Ron was rumored to be the next go-to guy for high profile artists if Slash couldn't make it. Tommy Stinson was so in-demand at the time he came into Guns that he was practically out of the music business all together. If Richard Fortus wasn't in GNR, maybe he could play for the NSYNC reunion.

Did I not say it wasn't about public image? You probably won't have heard of the vast majority of sought after session musicians in the world. I acknowledged this, therefore your attempt to take the piss just doesn't work. Ron had a scene he was part of, with a market doing work with guys like Guthrie Govan and Mattias Eklundh, soundtracks for tv-shows (whether you like the shows in question is irrelevant by the way) they might not be shifting units the way Fergie and Cypress Hill are, but it wasn't about that, it was about the music itself and that's the whole point. Read the interview and you'll see that Ron was content with the stuff he was doing before he joined Guns, why would he lie about that? What the hell does he stand to gain?

It's about the music, and with guys like Ron Thal and Richard Fortus AND W. Axl Rose it always will be. That's what I love about Guns N Roses and all the negativity that others spout on this forum does fuck all to change that.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected. People were banging down Frank's door due to his stellar work in Pisser. Ron was rumored to be the next go-to guy for high profile artists if Slash couldn't make it. Tommy Stinson was so in-demand at the time he came into Guns that he was practically out of the music business all together. If Richard Fortus wasn't in GNR, maybe he could play for the NSYNC reunion.

In the meanwhile your idol, Slash, plays with class acts such as Jamie Foxx, Fergie, and Cypress Hill.

:fuckyou: That's called being diverse...

:rofl-lol:

"Buckethead, Bumblefoot, 4tus, Stinson, Ferrer are unknown nobodies"...

No shit...Call me when you win a grammy for playing in punk garage bands or recording experimental music...

Do some of you just not get it?

BBF, Richard, Frank, and the rest of the "band" Axl has on his payroll are pawns. Nothing more. Period. It is NOT a band.

It's basically Axl Rose telling a group of unestablished musicians to do this - and not to do that - and if they do this specific thing they will be fired. If you don't think this is reality, you are lying to yourself. That's why Axl no longer has the all-star cast of musicians that the world wants to see behind him (Slash, Izzy, Duff, etc). They wouldn't allow Axl to control them. Now, Axl is forced to employ different musicians every couple years so he can have this full control that he is looking for. Think about it .. did any of you even know who Fortus, Frank, Pittman, etc were before Axl started paying them? After he started watching guys like BH, Robin, and Freese bail on his ass it started sinking in that he wouldn't be able to find & keep any respectable musician (with an ounce of pride) who would be willing to operate this way, so he knew a group of virtual unknowns - with no other options - were his only resort. It's sad, but it is in fact reality.

No other band on earth gives answers like "no comment" or "I really don't know what's going on in the band" (that I am supposedly a part of). It's not normal and there is no other way to explain such abused, subserviant behavior. Their roles are to play their instrument (the way Axl wants it to be played) and to shut their fucking mouth. That's it. It should be painfully obvious that this is the case and I truly feel sorry for anyone who feels as though this isn't true.

Deal with it guys. It's fucking sad.

Wow... way to take a thread about a lovely interview and truly show your a complete and utter jack ass. The question begs why the fuck are you here if you don't like the new band?? seriously I can think of a thousand other things i'd rather do than post shit about a band I clearly don't like on their fan forum... like jerk off while watching sumo wrestling...

But I digress... why is it so important for you that people in Guns N Roses are KNOWN?? what the fuck does your level of fame have to do with one's ability to play great music?? Zero!! If fame meant anything at all Britney, T-pain, and puff daddy or ditty or what ever the fuck he calls himself would be considered genus... but they are not PERIOD.

But if you want to get picky about it Frank, Richard, Tommy, DJ, Chris, have all been signed to major labels at some point in their career's.. which only like 1 in a million musicians get record deals so that kinda makes them somebodies... not that that matters to me.

Seriously have you been to any of the new shows??? probably not. I've been to five and GNR rocks! fucking slays... when I'm listening to better or shackler live in makes me very happy to be alive and part of the GNR experience. Do I wish slash were around?? not really... because then I wouldn't have the new album which I love, I wouldn't be seeing a happy and energized Axl running around on stage with a band that is tight as fuck and having a great time.

Seriously... your probably still in love with the first girl you ever kissed... things change jack ass no point in dwelling in the past.

Now please go away

How you can possibly constantly drag up bad points about this well executed, insightful, respectful interview and talk down to anyone who appreciated it is pretty damn surprising. Ron's not in the habit of lying, if he says something is the way it is, it's because it IS that way, you can shout at people like BBA until you die of oxygen starvation... you could probably take the fucker backstage and SHOW him the band dynamic of them all hanging out and having fun and he'd still probably say to them "Yeah, but you guys aren't really friends, right? it's all about the money, c'mon I can see it in your eyes!"

For fuck's sake it's not like these guys are short of work or not in demand in any way, they could make all the money they wanted outside of GNR, they're maybe not so visible in the public sphere but as session musicians in the industry, guys like Fortus have an incredible reputation, they're in it because they want to be in the band. Ron's another one, he doesn't need the money, his wife's a practicing vet for fuck's sake, and if he felt it was a bullshit or a phoney environment he would be out of there, it is not essential to his life. What has MADE it essential is the camaraderie they have, you can see it onstage, you can hear it from the conversations you hear int he monitor mixes, in the backstage stories from guys like Revolver. Ron's a musician's musician and if he does anything at all it's for the love of the music and the experience, not for the money, why do you think he'd like to see Guns become more independent? So they can make more cash and increase his fat paycheck which makes the gag order worthwhile? No, because he wants to be creative with the band. The reason that he doesn't sahre intimate details of the band's personal life is out of RESPECT for his FRIENDS. you can say "well back in the day they all talked about each other in interviews!" yeah well they all hate each other now, look where that got them.

Yet the same people choose to ignore it all time and again because it doesn't suit them, step back from it all and LISTEN or READ what is being said, there is no "between the lines" you guys are worse than goddamn 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

I'm not seeing the world through rose-tinted spectacles either, I'm just being objective... the evidence is all there.

Fucking great interview Ronald!

Did I not say it wasn't about public image? You probably won't have heard of the vast majority of sought after session musicians in the world. I acknowledged this, therefore your attempt to take the piss just doesn't work. Ron had a scene he was part of, with a market doing work with guys like Guthrie Govan and Mattias Eklundh, soundtracks for tv-shows (whether you like the shows in question is irrelevant by the way) they might not be shifting units the way Fergie and Cypress Hill are, but it wasn't about that, it was about the music itself and that's the whole point. Read the interview and you'll see that Ron was content with the stuff he was doing before he joined Guns, why would he lie about that? What the hell does he stand to gain?

I wonder if Ron is making the same amount of money now, as he was when he was doing work Guthrie Govan and Mattias Eklundh.

In the meanwhile your idol, Slash, plays with class acts such as Jamie Foxx, Fergie, and Cypress Hill.

:fuckyou: That's called being diverse...

:rofl-lol:

"Buckethead, Bumblefoot, 4tus, Stinson, Ferrer are unknown nobodies"...

No shit...Call me when you win a grammy for playing in punk garage bands or recording experimental music...

Fix your quotes.

... He didn't have to say that it was coming from Axl. However, anyone with more than 2 brain cells can deduce that if Axl wanted him to have these songs it would have taken him, oh, 3 seconds and would have saved Ron an ass load of stress and problems.

I have to agree. Even if "management" refused to give him a copy of the new songs, Axl certainly could have done so. Keep in mind, Axl was the one who was playing tracks from CD to strippers at a nightclub in Las Vegas. So, if he could let strippers hear them, surely he could let his guitarist hear them. So, I'm not sure what all that was about. :unsure:

If he felt Axl was complicit in denying him copies of tapes of the songs, he wouldn't have gone on record with it to begin with or risk being fired from the band for discussing band business publicly.

Ali

Axl can't fire Bumble now - how damaging would that be to the credibility of the band?

It would just reinforce the notion that this is a revolving-door of guitarists.

Agreed. Ron has become an integral part of the new band. He's reached out to fans in a way no other band member has done, and has played a major role in helping the band "gel" onstage - something that wasn't present in the 2002 lineup. If he was suddenly "replaced" - I think most fans would throw in the towel and start demanding the original lineup return. jmo.

Agreed. Ron has become an integral part of the new band. He's reached out to fans in a way no other band member has done, and has played a major role in helping the band "gel" onstage - something that wasn't present in the 2002 lineup. If he was suddenly "replaced" - I think most fans would throw in the towel and start demanding the original lineup return. jmo.

Well, with all due respect, I heard the same things said about Bucket and Robin.

Ali

Well, with all due respect, I heard the same things said about Bucket and Robin.

Ali

With equally due respect, the majority of fans never thought Bucket "fit" with the band at all, and "GNR" really didn't perform like a cohesive "band" when he was there. There was zero chemistry or interaction between the members onstage. Whereas, the current lineup looks and performs like a band.

Yes, some people were disappointed when Bucket left, but most were relieved.

I've grown rather cynical of interviews involving members of GN'R who appeared in the past to have instructions not to let any news regarding the band slip out!

This interview though was an interesting read and Ron didn't appear to be tongue tied. The only time he appeared to be guarded with his answers was when he was asked 'what the future of the band holds' & maybe thats simply because he hasn't been informed.

What I found disappointing is that he's been in the band since 2006 and has yet to contribute anything on a songwriting level! Ron says that he and the other members have plenty of ideas for the next album but seems unsure as to whether there will be another one. Axl has talked about a second part to Chinese Democracy involving songs that have already been written. Ron says he and other members of the new line up want to write songs from scratch and not just add their own parts to pre-existing songs that are 85% complete.

This new line up is the best performing live act the band has had since their hay day and it's a shame the fans will not see what they can do in the studio together from scratch any time soon. I don't regard Chinese Democracy as this line ups album because so many members who were involved have come and gone during it's production.

Hopefully we can start to see more interviews of this quality from the rest of the band with them all being able to speak freely.

Edited by Fogy Malone

... He didn't have to say that it was coming from Axl. However, anyone with more than 2 brain cells can deduce that if Axl wanted him to have these songs it would have taken him, oh, 3 seconds and would have saved Ron an ass load of stress and problems.

I have to agree. Even if "management" refused to give him a copy of the new songs, Axl certainly could have done so. Keep in mind, Axl was the one who was playing tracks from CD to strippers at a nightclub in Las Vegas. So, if he could let strippers hear them, surely he could let his guitarist hear them. So, I'm not sure what all that was about. :unsure:

If he felt Axl was complicit in denying him copies of tapes of the songs, he wouldn't have gone on record with it to begin with or risk being fired from the band for discussing band business publicly.

Ali

Axl can't fire Bumble now - how damaging would that be to the credibility of the band?

It would just reinforce the notion that this is a revolving-door of guitarists.

It´s so strange Ron wasn´t given a copy of the new songs to learn them... so hilarious. But Axl is so hilarious as well... so it doesn´t surprise me at all.

I don´t think Ron must de fired to tell this in the interview... it´doesn´t make sense to me ...

Ron is the best guitar player right now, a extremely cool guy and if he is fired it would be a big mistake

Ali

With equally due respect, the majority of fans never thought Bucket "fit" with the band at all, and "GNR" really didn't perform like a cohesive "band" when he was there. There was zero chemistry or interaction between the members onstage. Whereas, the current lineup looks and performs like a band.

Well, I think time has changed memories. I recall a lot of people lamenting the departures of both Bucket and Robin. Despite their images, they were integral in the writing of the record, and for that reason alone, there was a sizable chunk of people who sounded the death knell for the band when each of those two left. Truth is, as great as Ron is and as good a fit as he is with the band, he's as replaceable as Bucket and Robin.

Ali

Do some of you just not get it?

BBF, Richard, Frank, and the rest of the "band" Axl has on his payroll are pawns. Nothing more. Period. It is NOT a band.

It's basically Axl Rose telling a group of unestablished musicians to do this - and not to do that - and if they do this specific thing they will be fired. If you don't think this is reality, you are lying to yourself. That's why Axl no longer has the all-star cast of musicians that the world wants to see behind him (Slash, Izzy, Duff, etc). They wouldn't allow Axl to control them. Now, Axl is forced to employ different musicians every couple years so he can have this full control that he is looking for. Think about it .. did any of you even know who Fortus, Frank, Pittman, etc were before Axl started paying them? After he started watching guys like BH, Robin, and Freese bail on his ass it started sinking in that he wouldn't be able to find & keep any respectable musician (with an ounce of pride) who would be willing to operate this way, so he knew a group of virtual unknowns - with no other options - were his only resort. It's sad, but it is in fact reality.

No other band on earth gives answers like "no comment" or "I really don't know what's going on in the band" (that I am supposedly a part of). It's not normal and there is no other way to explain such abused, subserviant behavior. Their roles are to play their instrument (the way Axl wants it to be played) and to shut their fucking mouth. That's it. It should be painfully obvious that this is the case and I truly feel sorry for anyone who feels as though this isn't true.

Deal with it guys. It's fucking sad.

oh please, dont tell me the current lineup if filled with "all star musicans." there all fuckin skilled and u know it!

hey didnt Izzy Stradlin had to be re taught the chords to Nightrain?!

"Again, it's about entertainment and perception, not truth. The truth is it's a band, just like many other bands that write and record and tour, but if people don't wanna see that, it doesn't change what we are. It just changes how they look at it, and that's fine. It doesn't make any difference, because we're still a band going on tour, promoting the album of songs we wrote and recorded."

Ron will not be fired fucking drama, this band for those who are at home watching youtube is 100 times that live, this band gels very well on stage and you can see it, that is the difference, it is not faked it is real, they are happy to be together, and each one of them shines through. Not only that but the members are very good people in real life, and very approachable I had the opportunity to speak with all of them, they are so happy that the band is where it is right now, ALL OF THEM, and appreciate each and every fan here and at the shows, something I have not seen in a very long time if ever...

Edited by gunsguy

"You're not my daddy.. You're not my real dad (laughs)" - that whole thing of "You're not Slash, you're not Buckethead, you're not Gilby... you're not...". It's not just filling someone else's shoes - it was like filling a shoe closet (laughs).

:lol: Hilarious! Great interview. Bumble had a trial by fire experience entering GN'R. Cool guy. B)

"You're not my daddy.. You're not my real dad (laughs)" - that whole thing of "You're not Slash, you're not Buckethead, you're not Gilby... you're not...". It's not just filling someone else's shoes - it was like filling a shoe closet (laughs).

:lol: Hilarious! Great interview. Bumble had a trial by fire experience entering GN'R. Cool guy. B)

Ron is awesome.

He was honest and straight-forward, with a great sense of humor.

It's so refreshing to hear someone chat openly and from the heart about the band and how it pulled together.

Ron rocks! :shades:

Also very interesting that the first performance of Whole Lotta Rosie was spontaneous.

Didn't the band use it as part of their soundcheck?

When they finish playing it Axl goes "Can't believe I remembered the fucking words," which made me laugh.

Ali

And by majority you mean you and three other people.

Ali

And by majority you mean you and three other people.

No, it means everybody but you and maybe three other people. B)