New York City "Surprise Gig" Review

Kaneda

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting things back on track, does anyone have any questions about the show last night? Ask away...

I take it you didn't ask how much he paid Eric to throw me under the bus?

Too bad. Would like to have seen his answer.

C'mon. As a former mod you should know that this is about Kaneda's experience at the show last night, not about you. Don't try and make this about you when it isn't and was never intended to be about you.

Ali

Wow, now I remember why I stopped frequenting this forum after Chinese Democracy came out. So many people with nothing better to do than complain and bitch. WE ALL had it with the endless delays of Chinese Democracy, but that anger should have died a long time ago when the leaks arrived, and finally, the album. Why some of you still live in that time period, still think every member on this forum needs to be held accountable for statements and feelings from YEARS ago when times were RADICALLY different is beyond me. It just boils down to this....everyone on this forum has a different relationship with Guns N Roses. Some are obsessed, some are casual fans, some know band members, some don't...some have changed their feelings towards the band, some still long for the original lineup...People aren't static robots, they change over time and adopt new feelings/beliefs towards things. It's called growing the fuck up. Shit, I was in my mid-20's when I used to go on here and bitch about this and that...you know, because I bitched about everyhing during those years...but instead of bitching, I changed my tune and decided to do something positive. You know, I once asked Matt and Get Off Axl's Back to give me ONE example of something significant they've done in their lives, just one accomplishment they are proud of, and did they respond? Nope, nothing. Feel free to respond now guys. We're all waiting.

It's just insane how some people think because Madison got tongue lashed last night's concert should have a black mark on it. Um, no.

Now, to answer some of you who actually asked questions about the show, here goes. There wasn't a lot of talking going on onstage in-between songs. The gang on stage seemed like they were having a blast and they were chatting it up amongst themselves, but no long speeches of any sort by anyone. Axl gave a lot of great NY shout outs in the middle of songs. The vibe was great in the room because of the energy on stage. The crowd was a little lame in the sense that there were too many ditzy girls just standing there not singing a word to any song...but for every bimbo, there were guys up front really getting into it...I was singing word for word with each tune. If there's one thing I would have wished happened, it would have been for the venue to let people in off the street to fill the place...there was lots of room for more people towards the end, since it got late (around 3am)...but I didn't give a shit, it was nice having this mega act playing the fuck out of their best songs in front of a small crowd.

Getting things back on track, does anyone have any questions about the show last night? Ask away...

C'mon. As a former mod you should know that this is about Kaneda's experience at the show last night, not about you. Don't try and make this about you when it isn't and was never intended to be about you.

Ali

I found the irony in all of this and have the balls to bring it up. If you don't see the irony and how it relates to Kanada and the recent events involving Madison, so be it.

I'm very happy for Kanada. Seriously. But I'd have more respect for the band and not gloat about my experiences and post what are meant to be private pictures of the band members on a public forum. If I were a famous person and invited somebody into my house, which is basically what happened to Kanada last night (well he kinda bought his way in), and then the next day read on some forum that that person had described what my house is like, what I'm like and then post pictures of me all over the web, I'd be pretty pissed off.

I could be totally wrong though, who knows. Axl might be pretty cool with all of this. I would hope Axl knew Kanada used to be the biggest detractor of the band for the better part of the last 10 years and was able to forgive him before he shook his hand. That would mean there's hope for Madison. And I hope everyone can at least agree on that.

Wow, now I remember why I stopped frequenting this forum after Chinese Democracy came out. So many people with nothing better to do than complain and bitch. WE ALL had it with the endless delays of Chinese Democracy, but that anger should have died a long time ago when the leaks arrived, and finally, the album. Why some of you still live in that time period, still think every member on this forum needs to be held accountable for statements and feelings from YEARS ago when times were RADICALLY different is beyond me. It just boils down to this....everyone on this forum has a different relationship with Guns N Roses. Some are obsessed, some are casual fans, some know band members, some don't...some have changed their feelings towards the band, some still long for the original lineup...People aren't static robots, they change over time and adopt new feelings/beliefs towards things. It's called growing the fuck up. Shit, I was in my mid-20's when I used to go on here and bitch about this and that...you know, because I bitched about everyhing during those years...but instead of bitching, I changed my tune and decided to do something positive. You know, I once asked Matt and Get Off Axl's Back to give me ONE example of something significant they've done in their lives, just one accomplishment they are proud of, and did they respond? Nope, nothing. Feel free to respond now guys. We're all waiting.

It's just insane how some people think because Madison got tongue lashed last night's concert should have a black mark on it. Um, no.

Now, to answer some of you who actually asked questions about the show, here goes. There wasn't a lot of talking going on onstage in-between songs. The gang on stage seemed like they were having a blast and they were chatting it up amongst themselves, but no long speeches of any sort by anyone. Axl gave a lot of great NY shout outs in the middle of songs. The vibe was great in the room because of the energy on stage. The crowd was a little lame in the sense that there were too many ditzy girls just standing there not singing a word to any song...but for every bimbo, there were guys up front really getting into it...I was singing word for word with each tune. If there's one thing I would have wished happened, it would have been for the venue to let people in off the street to fill the place...there was lots of room for more people towards the end, since it got late (around 3am)...but I didn't give a shit, it was nice having this mega act playing the fuck out of their best songs in front of a small crowd.

You want to go there do you?

In fairness to me i never read that post, feel free to post it for all to see how you called us out and we wilted under your awesome skill.Better yet post the part where me or matt13 lied and stated something that was untrue?

I wasn't ragging on you but fuck it if you want to somehow see yourself as a martyr then go ahead

Ali

I found the irony in all of this and have the balls to bring it up. If you don't see the irony and how it relates to Kanada and the recent events involving Madison, so be it.

I'm very happy for Kanada. Seriously. But I'd have more respect for the band and not gloat about my experiences and post what are meant to be private pictures of the band members on a public forum. If I were a famous person and invited somebody into my house, which is basically what happened to Kanada last night (well he kinda bought his way in), and then the next day read on some forum that that person had described what my house is like, what I'm like and then post pictures of me all over the web, I'd be pretty pissed off.

I could be totally wrong though, who knows. Axl might be pretty cool with all of this. I would hope Axl knew Kanada used to be the biggest detractor of the band for the better part of the last 10 years and was able to forgive him before he shook his hand. That would mean there's hope for Madison. And I hope everyone can at least agree on that.

It's not that I don't see the irony. It's that it is completely irrelevant to the show last night and Kaneda's review of it. This thread has NOTHING to do with Madison. It's about the show and Kaneda's experience at the show.

Ali

Kanada, you're a two faced douche bag. You're a rat... having to 'slip security guards money'. I'm saying that because it's so typical of you to request of somebody on a fucking forum to spill their guts about what they've done that's "significant" in their lives.

Nobody has to tell you or anybody on this forum anything like that. WTF does that have to do with anything, anyway? And save the big words for your kids one day. We're not a bunch of idiots as you're clearly portraying us.

For the record, I've done A LOT of good in this world and have accomplished a great deal. But that's none of your fucking business.

Fucking scum bag.

Get a life, moron. Maybe you can buy your way into a mental health clinic.

Please stay on topic.

It is on topic.

He chatted with Axl - as shown in the cool pics. So, I wanted to know if he asked him about it.

Kaneda has been a member of this forum for many many years. He knows what happened.

It's a fair question. I - and many others - would like to have known the answer to that.

Matt. let me get this straight. You're comparing havin a quick chat with Axl backstage to going into his home? You're also indicating he would be pissed because I said he was very nice. Your also implying the band was disrespected because I posted a glowing recount of the show? Correct me if I'm wrong man, but what color is the sky in your world man? I don't get you...

I just crapped my pants. You think asking Axl how much paid Eric to toss you under the bus is a fair question to ask? LOL...I needed a good laugh after only 3 hours of sleep...I wish I could lock this thread, it's gotten so dumb. I had a great time, GNR rocked, close thread now...

Please stay on topic.

It is on topic.

He chatted with Axl - as shown in the cool pics. So, I wanted to know if he asked him about it.

Kaneda has been a member of this forum for many many years. He knows what happened.

It's a fair question. I - and many others - would like to have known the answer to that.

No, it isn't at all. This is not about you. This is about the show last night and Kaneda's experience at it given that he posted the review. Neither of those two things have anything to do with you.

Ali

Please stay on topic.

It is on topic.

Really? Seriously? C'mon...

This thread is about the show, pictures, performances, whatever. It isn't about the incident that happened with you. Let it go. You're still here and posting, right? You should be glad Admin didn't ban you all together like you did with so many others for your own personal vendettas with them.

As for this topic:

I just got done looking at all of the pictures and watching that quick video and all I can say is: Awesome! Some great shots there, and I'm glad whoever was there had a great time!

All I can say is, "wow", what a concert. But tonight was far more than a concert. Let me walk you through the evening.

I get there at 10:30pm and the people at the front are saying, "we're filled to capacity, everyone go home..." I'm like fuck, Ron said meet at 11pm and we'd be fine. He tells me to go around back and I'm met by another security guard who won't let me pass. I had to grease that fucker $50 to get to the next security guard waiting by the back door. Luckily, someone I knew in the camp who knew the security guards showed up and we walked in. We walked into the downstairs sections of CBGB which was reserved for band members, friends and some celebs (saw Rachel Hunter and Kevin Bacon). While I was down there, I finally got to meet DJ Ashba, Frank and Sebastian Bach. Let me tell you, these are some of the nicest people going (that's what happens when you send cases of Dr Pepper their way, take notes people). But seriously, these are all down to earth, genuine people that are approachable and easy to talk to. Wonderful, wonderful folk.

At around 12:30, people started putting on their coats to go back around to the upstairs section. People were saying the band was on stage. When I walked through the doors, Mr. Brownstone was on in full force. There's something surreal about walking into CBGB and hearing GNR coming through the speakers and you look up and the band is on stage, playing live. It's magical when a huge stadium act like GNR take center stage inside such a small venue. The sound was amazing. Now I've seen Axl many times over the years, but I can honestly say, that tonight, he sounded just as good, if not better, than when I saw him in 1991. His range, his rasp, his power was all there and in full force. But you know what made tonight sooooo special? It was the rawness of the band. Ron was on an acoustic guitar all night and DJ on the Les Paul. This softer and simpler setup reminded me so much of Guns when they first got on the scene. WIthout the layers and layers of guitar, Axl's voice just comes right at you...that's why I fell in love with Guns N' Roses in the first place and it was magical hearing it for the first time on a cold night in 2010. I'll do my best to recapture the set list, but I was too busy jumping up and down to take proper notes. This is in no way the proper order, but use your imaginations....

Mr. Brownstone

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

The Blues

Patience

Catcher in the Rye - this song shines with Ron on acoustic. Was even better than the album version tonight.

Rocket Queen

Sorry

My Michelle

Knocking on Heaven's Door

Whole Lotta Rosie

Paradise City

Encore:

Sweet Child o Mine

This I Love

Nightrain

I may have missed a song or two, but as you can tell, it was an amazing set list. But you know what impressed me the most? Axl put everything he had into each song. With only about 150 people in attendance, he sung like there were 150,000! What a professional. The only annoying thing was most of the crowd weren't die hard GNR fans (aka, they didn't sing along to the new songs), but that's too be expected in NYC...everyone's too cool for school here. But when Axl plays MSG, it will be all die hards for Jersey and Long Island singing each note with him...

And lastly, after all these years, I finally got to meet the man himself. Fernando and his sister were super cool and once I introduced myself (as the dr pepper bozo), they were so gracious and made sure I got a chance to meet Axl. He's just a really, really nice guy. We had a great little chat and that was that, the perfect end to a perfect evening.

In the end, after all these years, after all of the ups and downs, Guns N Roses has manifest itself into a great band filled with amazing people. When you get close, you realize, these aren't rockstars, they are just people that want to laugh, have a good time and enjoy life. I'm just glad I got to see them in such a special setting giving their all. You know, life is short, and I'm so happy my turn on this rock also includes a little band called Guns N' Fucking Roses! Thank you Ron, Frank, DJ, Axl, Fernando and the gang for an amazing night. You're the best...

CK (aka, Kaneda).

Wow Kaneda.....you've just experienced a dream of mine - thanks so much for sharing! Now...tell me more :)

Did they have a piano? And if yes, who played it for "This I Love"?

Was there any random jamming?

I'm guessing there was no underwear thrown on stage this time? Ha!

Jesus, it seems like every fucking thread turns into a Madison argument. I didn't particularly care for her as a mod, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about how events went down over the last few days. By the same token, I'm not so upset by it that I'm going to try and hijack every single thread and turn it into a Madison argument. I know a lot of people are pissed about it, but what happened doesn't seem like any amount of complaining will reverse Eric's decision. No disrespect intended to those of you fighting for her, but get the fuck over it and enjoy what's going on with these gigs.

On topic, it seems like it was a hell of a time. The pictures are amazing, and I'm glad you had a great time Kaneda!

I just crapped my pants. You think asking Axl how much paid Eric to toss you under the bus is a fair question to ask? LOL...I needed a good laugh after only 3 hours of sleep...I wish I could lock this thread, it's gotten so dumb. I had a great time, GNR rocked, close thread now...

hear no evil

OK, this crap is getting freakin ridiculous, really. Can any of you actually hear yourselves?? I don't post a lot and I don't want to argue with anyone. But every freakin post I go to since Axl posted has resulted in this crap. Firstly, Matt, posting a review of a public live show and going backstage for five minutes is NOT like being invited into the privacy of someone's home and then spreading it over the internet. It was a public event. Some people would talk about it, others wouldn't. But it's not really disrespectful to the band. He (Kaneda) didn't disclose anything personal or spread any rumours around which could cause any damage or disrespect to the band or the members in any way.

And Madison...I don't have anything against you and I don't want to be rude. But please don't make this issue of yours everybody else's, that's not fair. If you want to know something from Axl, ask him yourself.