This is Guns N' Roses-here's why.

bax

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont hear any BS about Anthrax and scott Ian is the only original member (I love Anthrax btw), even when theyre sound changed with John Bush they got no shit. same for Megadeth, despite Ellefson coming back (Wich I also love as a band). Even Kiss doesent get as much shit as GnR in the music world, and they have dudes copying former members. What I'm saying is Guns N' Roses has always been the same band, no matter how the sound changes, theyre is always that essential GnR sound, but for some reason people decide that it is a mortal sin for Axl to continue the GnR name. Guns N' Roses are still around and it is a shame for people to want it to end especially now.

In my view this is Guns N Roses. The only reason why people can't come to realize this is GN'R is because of Axl Rose. They think he took complete control of the band and fired them. Which in real life, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt left on their own terms. And some people have a personal hatred toewards him for somthing he did 20 years ago.

Now today, people don't even give him a chance. But people have to realize, the old GN'R wil never reunite, so if you want Guns N' Roses, you listen to this band. Just because Slash had a book and mentioned all the stuff about Axl and GN'R, doesn't mean its true, the same with Axl, no one really knows what happened between them two to hate eachother. Theres one thing for sure though:This IS Guns N' Roses. This band today is kicking ass live, Axl is back with a vengence and sounding great on stage, and they have the raw, energetic, rebellious feel of Guns N' Roses, including Chinese Democracy. Until people get their heads out of their ass and stop living in the past, they will never trully embrace the new and great Guns N' Roses.

P.S. Fuck the haters!

If Izzy says it's not GNR, then it's not GNR

Period

What about when Axl says it's GNR?

It matters ZERO

That says a lot about your way of thinking.

Yes it does, it shows he is right

So we have two original members. Why is Izzy's opinion more valid than Axl's?

Because Axl essentially stole the rights to the name and isnt going to go around disowning the only thing he has left. Izzy on the other hand helped create the band and therefore knows exactly what GNR is, and since he has no hand in this new band its an unbiased outside opinion of merit. Seriously everyone trying to argue that this band is GNR havent had a good argument at all.

I think if you ask the members of GNR if they're in a "real band", they would all say yes.

The best and worst thing to happen to GNR was the UYI tour. It made them all wealthy, but without a doubt it was the beginning of the end. I honestly don't know how they all survived.

I can't tell you how many people I've tried to turn on to CD that haven't given me the argument "that's not Guns N' Roses" and refused to even give it a chance. I'm betting that's the majority view. But it really doesn't hold water, here's why.

A band is analogous to a relationship in my estimation. The bonds run very deep. There has to be a pretty intense level of empathy, good communication and trust. So when a member has an issue with the direction the band is headed in, obviously they have the right to assess whether they want to continue. Ultimately, Axl did not fire Izzy, Slash, and Duff. They walked away, totally for their own reasons. So in my opinion, Axl is not Guns N; Roses. But clearly, he runs the franchise. Does it really matter who wrote what and who played what on the CD? No. Every guitar track is properly credited. It captures a moment. Simple as that. Songwriters and performers get royalties for their work. The touring band was hired to interpret the material for a live audience, When you are talking about material with as complex in it's arrangements as CD, it is more about compositions than songs per se. Axl is more of a conductor than a frontman in the traditional sense. If you go to see a symphony, doe you bitch that Beethoven didn't make the gig? Fuck no, you just go with it. peace.

Chinese Democracy is not a Guns N' Roses album. It wasn't even made by a band. Was pretty much just loads of session players with Axl Rose putting everything together.

The band touring now can be called Guns N' Roses if they like, I love this line up but the album was not a band record.

Guns always had diiferent members, the original GN'R was Axl, Izzy, Ole Beirch, Tracci Gunns, and Rod Garder. This band always had line-up changes from day one. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven is the most recoginizable one. After Steven was fired, I don't think people were saying this isn't Guns N' Roses, then Izzy leaves and it's still the same, no bitching over the name. Now it's Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed. People still didn't care about the name. After '94 everything changes. Axl gets new recruits after his old members leave to keep the band giong, returns at Rock In Rio 2001 and people start bitching about the name. You know why, because of Axl. 'Axl this...", "Axl that....', "I hate Axl" is the reason why they don't think the band is GN'R. They think they group has "hired guns" where the whole history had "hired guns' ( Slash, Duff, Steven, Dizzy, Gilby, and Matt) If Slash had the name, people would care, but not as much as when Axl has the name. Put people have to realize this IS Guns N' Roses.

Dave Mustaine is the only long term member of Megadeth and i don't here people bitching about the name. KISS have two members wearing make-up of two old members, I don't think many KISS fans are bitching like, "this isn't KISS, thier hired members, their disgracing the legacy." Dave Coverdale is the only long term member of Whitesnake, I doubt people care about the name. But Axl Rose, "he should keep the name," "it's an Axl Rose Solo Project", "hired guns suck." Maybe if they put their personal stuff aside and accually listen to the music, they will realize this is Guns N Roses. Maybe not the one you remember, but if you stop living in the past and put personal hatred aside, you'll realize this is Guns N' Roses.

I don't know why people even bother arguing about this anymore.

If you're a fan of Axl and his GNR, they are touring this year and you should be happy.

If you are a fan of Slash, he will also be touring the world and has a new album coming out that has Izzy/Duff/Adler on it.

To my eye that says we are getting something from all 5 original members, which in any context is a good thing.

Guns always had diiferent members, the original GN'R was Axl, Izzy, Ole Beirch, Tracci Gunns, and Rod Garder. This band always had line-up changes from day one. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Steven is the most recoginizable one. After Steven was fired, I don't think people were saying this isn't Guns N' Roses, then Izzy leaves and it's still the same, no bitching over the name. Now it's Axl, Slash, Duff, Gilby Clarke, Matt Sorum and Dizzy Reed. People still didn't care about the name. After '94 everything changes. Axl gets new recruits after his old members leave to keep the band giong, returns at Rock In Rio 2001 and people start bitching about the name. You know why, because of Axl. 'Axl this...", "Axl that....', "I hate Axl" is the reason why they don't think the band is GN'R. They think they group has "hired guns" where the whole history had "hired guns' ( Slash, Duff, Steven, Dizzy, Gilby, and Matt) If Slash had the name, people would care, but not as much as when Axl has the name. Put people have to realize this IS Guns N' Roses.

Dave Mustaine is the only long term member of Megadeth and i don't here people bitching about the name. KISS have two members wearing make-up of two old members, I don't think many KISS fans are bitching like, "this isn't KISS, thier hired members, their disgracing the legacy." Dave Coverdale is the only long term member of Whitesnake, I doubt people care about the name. But Axl Rose, "he should keep the name," "it's an Axl Rose Solo Project", "hired guns suck." Maybe if they put their personal stuff aside and accually listen to the music, they will realize this is Guns N Roses. Maybe not the one you remember, but if you stop living in the past and put personal hatred aside, you'll realize this is Guns N' Roses.

So because three random guys played a couple of shows with Axl and Izzy before the other guys joined makes this new lineup Guns n Roses?

And Dave Mustaine can be the only member original member of Megadeth because he is the fucking band. He made it on his own and plays lead and sings. He can do what he want because its his and always has been, he didnt steal it away from everyone else.

Period

It matters ZERO

Because Axl essentially stole the rights to the name and isnt going to go around disowning the only thing he has left. Izzy on the other hand helped create the band and therefore knows exactly what GNR is, and since he has no hand in this new band its an unbiased outside opinion of merit. Seriously everyone trying to argue that this band is GNR havent had a good argument at all.

Are the past members of GNR still getting royalties? If so, he didn't steal from them. He did the same thing other bands have done, the Eagles and Van Halen (Azoff's represented both, btw) had done it to members they didn't feel were contributing as much as they had in the past. Rick Wright was fired from Pink Floyd, then put on salary for the tour, and was the only one from the band to make money from the tour. Gregg Allman fired Dickie Betts for not playing up to snuff, and there sure as hell haven't been Allman Brothers in almost 40 years. Skynyrd is still touring, but how many original members are touring with Skynyrd? They still sing, write and record as a band, and no one treats them as a cover or tribute band, do they? Steely Dan was a "real band" in 1973, but Becker and Fagen have toured with a wide variety of people over the years, all of which SOUNDED like Steely Dan.

To Axl and to millions of people, Chinese Democracy and the current tour SOUND like GNR. I don't think there's any false advertising going on. People know what they're in for when they go. No one's going "where's Slash" that paid to go see them.

Do I think he should've made an attempt to come up with a new band name? Sure, but should Pink Floyd have changed their name when Barrett checked out of reality in 68? Maybe. When Peter Gabriel left Genesis, should they have changed the name?

How's this: GNR is Axl and Slash, without one of the two, it isn't GNR. And nobody says anything about Mustaine because nobody gives a shit about Megadeth. Besides, the band he was a part of went on to be, well, the biggest act in rock/metal.

How's this: GNR is Axl and Slash, without one of the two, it isn't GNR. And nobody says anything about Mustaine because nobody gives a shit about Megadeth. Besides, the band he was a part of went on to be, well, the biggest act in rock/metal.

So Duff when Slash left GNR was a member of the Axl Rose Project???

Axl is more of a conductor than a frontman

Axl is a conductor! Haha thats rich. Why does no one have a problem with the direction the band is headed? Because they are all hired guns you fool. Think about it, are you gonna complain to your boss how the company is headed? If you do you wont have a job the next day.

Also, whats its like when members of the band havent written or recorded anything on the album? "This is Guns N' Roses" give me a fucking break

Axl's equally a conductor and a frontman and more importantly, he really IS Guns N' Roses. From the onset it was really his presence that defined the band. His voice, his performance, his ideals, vision, determination and hunger to make it all happen fueled their massive success. His integrity and stamina kept it all going while the others lagged, played and partied till they'd lost sight of what they'd really wanted, aspired to and attained, And when Axl was the last man standing he obviously had a choice to make, keep Guns going or fold. Anyone paying any attention to GN'R's rise from the early days to the "most dangerous band in the world" can see that Axl's choice was really an easy one, the only one he could make because from day one, it was already in the cards.

So, we have Guns N' Roses today. Hired guns? Yeah. Real, contributing, distinct band members? Yeah. Are they out of a job if they voice their opinions or complain? That depends, and here's where Guns is no different than any other entity in the real world. You get hired cuz your boss recognizes your talent and accomplishments, your potential within the organization and sees that your overall ideals are in line with what he's already created. You get to contribute, create and yes, even voice your opinions. If your opinions didn't count for shit you wouldn't be a part of the project and big picture in the first place! It's when you lose sight of the projects, overall goals and feel of the company that your position becomes precarious. And for sure when you become unstable or go wacko you're the next Adler or $la$h.

I don't know why the fuck people give Axl such a hard time. If you had equivalent brains and balls you'd be doin' the same thing in his position.

A band should be a collective group of guys with equal voice. Everything they do starts and ends with Axl.

Re-read my post & think about it. Then realize your reply doesn't make any sense.

I don't get why this is such a big deal. Everywhere people just complain like "This isn't Guns N' Roses, should be called "Axl Rose and Co." Nothing irritates me more. Axl was supposed to change the name of his band because Slash and them left? That wouldn't even make sense. If people don't want to listen to GnR because of different band members I think that's just ignorant.

All lineups are Guns N' Roses to me. It's a name, who gives a fuck, just listen to the music and shut up. If a name bothers you so much that's a bit obsessive and weird.

It's not obsessive nor weird. Saying the name doesn't matter is just dismissive. As someone else pointed out here a long time ago--if the name is worth fighting to keep, then it is important.

Axl owns the name. How has he fought for it?

Axl is a conductor! Haha thats rich. Why does no one have a problem with the direction the band is headed? Because they are all hired guns you fool. Think about it, are you gonna complain to your boss how the company is headed? If you do you wont have a job the next day.

Also, whats its like when members of the band havent written or recorded anything on the album? "This is Guns N' Roses" give me a fucking break

Axl's equally a conductor and a frontman and more importantly, he really IS Guns N' Roses. From the onset it was really his presence that defined the band. His voice, his performance, his ideals, vision, determination and hunger to make it all happen fueled their massive success. His integrity and stamina kept it all going while the others lagged, played and partied till they'd lost sight of what they'd really wanted, aspired to and attained, And when Axl was the last man standing he obviously had a choice to make, keep Guns going or fold. Anyone paying any attention to GN'R's rise from the early days to the "most dangerous band in the world" can see that Axl's choice was really an easy one, the only one he could make because from day one, it was already in the cards.

So, we have Guns N' Roses today. Hired guns? Yeah. Real, contributing, distinct band members? Yeah. Are they out of a job if they voice their opinions or complain? That depends, and here's where Guns is no different than any other entity in the real world. You get hired cuz your boss recognizes your talent and accomplishments, your potential within the organization and sees that your overall ideals are in line with what he's already created. You get to contribute, create and yes, even voice your opinions. If your opinions didn't count for shit you wouldn't be a part of the project and big picture in the first place! It's when you lose sight of the projects, overall goals and feel of the company that your position becomes precarious. And for sure when you become unstable or go wacko you're the next Adler or $la$h.

I don't know why the fuck people give Axl such a hard time. If you had equivalent brains and balls you'd be doin' the same thing in his position.

A band should be a collective group of guys with equal voice. Everything they do starts and ends with Axl.

Re-read my post & think about it. Then realize your reply doesn't make any sense.

Firstly you contradict yourself when you admit that they are hired guns.

However, if you think Im wrong because I said everything begins and ends with Axl, you must be living in your own world. You don't see Tommy issuing press statements, or deciding how and when the album will come out, where they are going to tour, etc. Now I'm sure Axl asks the band for input (What kind of person wouldn't?) but at the end of the day, HE is the one who makes all the big decisions. None of the members would be in the band if Axl didn't like them. I'm sure there have been others who liked a certain member but they couldn't keep him because Axl disliked them. It goes the other way too. No one but Axl liked Paul Huge but they kept him around anyways. To suggest that Axl doesnt have the final call, that somehow the band has to reach a universal, complete "Consensus" for doing something, then you are crazy

Firstly you contradict yourself when you admit that they are hired guns.

However, if you think Im wrong because I said everything begins and ends with Axl, you must be living in your own world. You don't see Tommy issuing press statements, or deciding how and when the album will come out, where they are going to tour, etc. Now I'm sure Axl asks the band for input (What kind of person wouldn't?) but at the end of the day, HE is the one who makes all the big decisions. None of the members would be in the band if Axl didn't like them. I'm sure there have been others who liked a certain member but they couldn't keep him because Axl disliked them. It goes the other way too. No one but Axl liked Paul Huge but they kept him around anyways. To suggest that Axl doesnt have the final call, that somehow the band has to reach a universal, complete "Consensus" for doing something, then you are crazy

I don't contradict myself at all. Read what I said after saying they're "hired guns." I mean read the whole paragraph without taking words out of context.

And yes, it's evident Axl has the final say. And why shouldn't he? Again, read what I said and the basis for my opinion will become clear to you.

Different people have different ideas of what GnR is. Personally, I don't call this lineup Guns N Roses, I usually call it New GnR or something along those lines. That doesn't mean I don't like this lineup.

1985-1996(ish) is GnR to me. If its not for you, that's cool. Just don't expect everyone to call this lineup Guns N Roses.

1985-1996 there were a lot line up changes you know... But you still call them GNR. Why not these days?

+1

:thumbsup:

Co-founder T.Guns was fired and replaced by Slash.

Adler replaced by Matt

... many more members.

Period

It matters ZERO

You can't steal what someone gives you to have. By signing that contract in '92, Slash and Duff GAVE the name to Axl. He didn't put a gun to their heads and force them to sign.

If CD was "mind - blowing" (like I wish it was), this hold Axl/Slash/What is GNR debate would have ended a little of over a year ago.

I wish Axl would take a break after South America and jump back in the studio; I believe the old dude still has it.

Different people have different ideas of what GnR is. Personally, I don't call this lineup Guns N Roses, I usually call it New GnR or something along those lines. That doesn't mean I don't like this lineup.

1985-1996(ish) is GnR to me. If its not for you, that's cool. Just don't expect everyone to call this lineup Guns N Roses.

1985-1996 there were a lot line up changes you know... But you still call them GNR. Why not these days?

June 6th 1985 -1991 wasn't any lineup changes apart from Dizzy the keyboard player

Plus this band wrote and recorded AFD, Lies, Use Your Illusion 1 + 2

Axl may own the name but it's still not the same band

Personally I would of loved if Axl had of named the current version WAR or Rose like his original band

Actually, June 6th 1985-1990 there was a change. In June 1990, Dizzy was hired and Steven was fired; Matt was hired in mid June.

In November 1991, Izzy quit and Gilby was fired. In June 1994, Gilby had his contract terminated and Paul Tobias was hired.

In April 1995, Izzy rejoined Guns and worked with Duff on material for Guns' next album; Izzy claims he and Duff wrote ten songs in the space of a week. One of these '95 Izzy songs, "Down by the Ocean" will be on GN'R's next record, said Axl back in December.

He made it clear he had no interest in touring with Guns but was fine with writing and was still working with the band as of July 1995 (according to an interview with Slash done in late July)

In 1995, Slash quit and was re-hired as per the terms of the August 1995 contract re-negotiations, which took effect on December 31st 1995.

From 12/31/1995 to October 1996, Slash was a hired member of Guns on contract on a short term basis. He terminated his contract and quit offically October 31st 1996.

In January 1997, Robin Finck was hired to replace Slash at the suggestion of Matt, signing a two year contract which went into effect on August 1st, 1997.

In April 1997, Matt was either fired or quit depending on whose story you believe.

Chris Vrenna was hired to replace Matt in April, and claimed that Duff was still in the band and working with Axl when he joined. He only stayed in the band a few weeks as he didn't want to commit to what he saw would be a long-term recording process and was replaced not long after by Dave Abbruzzese, who also didn't last long, and at the same time, Pod joined the band and Dave and Pod were a duo. Finally in mid 1997, Josh Freese was hired and stayed with GN'R until 2000.

In mid August 1997, Duff quit the band--He says he quit two weeks before his daughter Grace was born (August 27th, 1997).

In November 1997, Izzy was completely out of the GN'R partnership--When he left in '91, he legally ensured that he would still get percentage of everything Guns made money wise from the day he left until 11/1997.

I mentioned DIzzy and said no other lineup changes until 91 when Matt replaced Steven and covered his drumming

Basically all the band did after 91 was tour multiple times and release a punk covers album

Maybe you should read before the history lesson?

I'm happy with New Gnr as the name for the current incarnation but that's my own personal preference

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

This is Guns N' Roses. Like it or not.

For now.

Thankfully when the Hall of Fame comes calling in due time it will be for the Appetite Line-up, and there is nothing Axl or any message board posses will be able to do about it as it will be Axl/Slash/Izzy/Duff and Steven that will be immortalized for all-time as the definitive GNR line-up.