Should summer USA Tour be Stadium or Amphitheatre?

insomniac

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope they do amphitheatres. one of my favorite places to see a show is the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel NJ. Thats a great venue

I`ve been there for 5 times. It`s a amazing place if you get a ticket for the covered area. :thumbsup:

Is that like a half indoor half outdoor place? We have one of those here in Mass down in Mansfield called the Comcast Center, it's AWESOME, saw Revolver and Skynyrd there before

They can't sell out stadiums in Canada, so they played in smaller venues.

They can sell out stadiums in South America, so they're playing in stadiums.

It's all relative! Can they sell out stadiums in US?

They played arenas in Canada because it is winter. Arenas are as big as you can do in winter.

On topic, as much as I'd rather see a stadium tour, it will be an amphitheater tour. A vast majority of amphitheaters that I've been to have absolutely shitty sound. However, Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA, and PNC Pavilion in Cincinnati have been great every time I've been to these places.

Edited by Powerage5

I really hope they do amphitheatres. one of my favorite places to see a show is the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel NJ. Thats a great venue

I`ve been there for 5 times. It`s a amazing place if you get a ticket for the covered area. :thumbsup:

Is that like a half indoor half outdoor place? We have one of those here in Mass down in Mansfield called the Comcast Center, it's AWESOME, saw Revolver and Skynyrd there before

Yeap!!! I`ll find some pic here and I`ll show u!

The amphitheaters in Cali are all great... San Diego and Irvine are great. Hollywood Bowl - I don't think GNR have ever played there, but it's still a good venue. The place out in San Bernadino I've never liked though (I think it's called San Manuel now?? It's been though all sorts of name changes).

East coast shows at Jones Beach and in New England have always had weather issues - not sure about Bethel Woods (where Woodstock took place).

My opinion - stadium tours are good if you're doing something on the scale of U2 and trying to put on a spectacle, or turning it into a day long fest where a lot of other bands can get to be heard throughout the day. I don't see the point of rock bands playing stadiums unless they're putting on a show that people in the nosebleeds are going to enjoy as much as the people on the floor.

We left out ballparks... The Police, Rolling Stones, Madonna, Springsteen all have played ballparks.

They played arenas in Canada because it is winter. Arenas are as big as you can do in winter.

On topic, as much as I'd rather see a stadium tour, it will be an amphitheater tour. A vast majority of amphitheaters that I've been to have absolutely shitty sound. However, Comcast Center in Mansfield, MA, and PNC Pavilion in Cincinnati have been great every time I've been to these places.

The amphitheaters in Cali are all great... San Diego and Irvine are great. Hollywood Bowl - I don't think GNR have ever played there, but it's still a good venue. The place out in San Bernadino I've never liked though (I think it's called San Manuel now?? It's been though all sorts of name changes).

East coast shows at Jones Beach and in New England have always had weather issues - not sure about Bethel Woods (where Woodstock took place).

My opinion - stadium tours are good if you're doing something on the scale of U2 and trying to put on a spectacle, or turning it into a day long fest where a lot of other bands can get to be heard throughout the day. I don't see the point of rock bands playing stadiums unless they're putting on a show that people in the nosebleeds are going to enjoy as much as the people on the floor.

We left out ballparks... The Police, Rolling Stones, Madonna, Springsteen all have played ballparks.

I can't say anything about amphitheaters out west, farthest west I've ever been is Cincinnati. But a lot of the New England venues are piss poor. I also forgot, the Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH is great as well. Probably the best acoustics of any venue I've ever been to.

there is no summer usa tour wtf are you people talking about?

All speculation.

I think it would make sense to do like 3 or 4 gigs in stadiums in US only. GNR are in US popular less than in any other state. Gigs in bigest cities would sell, but it does not make any sence for them to play a lot in US.Why should they? They can have better audience in europe, asia, australia, south amercia.

V_000274_H1.JPG

PNCStageView.jpg

They don't have to tour whole US.

They're playing 5 gigs in Brazil, all in South and Southeast. North and Northeast of the country don't have any gig booked, and some friends I have will have to travel more than 3.000 km to see the band live.

Do you guys think they could sell out stadiums if they did a whole tour here like Canada? No way.

Look, Metallica and AC/DC sold out their stadium concert in 3 days, and it was a stadium MUCH BIGGER, with capacity for 72,000 people. BUT, it was only one concert (Metallica added another date, but it was after).

Guns N' Roses is playing one gig in Argentina, for 65,000 people, and it sold out in less then two weeks.

If GNR was playing only one concert in Brazil, in a huge stadium, it would be already sold out too, but instead, they're playing 5, for almost 130,000 people:

Brasília (gym) : 15 thousand

Belo Horizonte (gym): 20 thousand

São Paulo (stadium): 45 thousand

Rio (park): 40 thousand

Porto Alegre (gym): 20 thousand

So what do you prefer, a lot of small venues (canada) or just some big venues concerts?

Just correcting: Belo Horizonte - 25000 :thumbsup:

I say arenas and amphitheaters. If they decide to do Madison Square Garden this tour, I'm there.

And I agree about the PNC Bank Arts Center, I saw Motley Crue there and they were AWESOME. It's a great venue.

If they decide the US tour at MSG or PNC or some place in NJ or NY this summer, I`ll be there too for sure. I`ll be on vacations! :D:thumbsup:

Edited by Caroline

V_000274_H1.JPG

PNCStageView.jpg

Yeah the Comcast Center is the exact same thing, only after the roof, a few years ago they turned the front of the lawn into outdoor seats, and then behind those is the lawn..but other then that, it's exactly the same

I say arenas and amphitheaters. If they decide to do Madison Square Garden this tour, I'm there.

And I agree about the PNC Bank Arts Center, I saw Motley Crue there and they were AWESOME. It's a great venue.

i agree about the PNC Bank Arts Ceneter as well. i saw Iron Maiden there. Epic! especially becasue it was raining and half the crowd was soaked and mudsliding down the hill and the other half was nice and dry. i swear to god that right as bruce sang the last verse to Revelations:

"Bind all of us together,

Ablaze with Hope and Free,

No storm or heavy weather

Will rock the boat you'll see.

The time has come to close your eyes

And still the wind and rain,

For the one who will be King

The Watcher in the Rain,

It is You.

All of you"

,that the lighting was furiously flashing and the rain felt like a whip to the face and then after the song ended the strorm considerably mellowed. it was so epic and i would love to see another concert there. gnr would be great!

i agree about the PNC Bank Arts Ceneter as well. i saw Iron Maiden there. Epic! especially becasue it was raining and half the crowd was soaked and mudsliding down the hill and the other half was nice and dry. i swear to god that right as bruce sang the last verse to Revelations:

"Bind all of us together,

Ablaze with Hope and Free,

No storm or heavy weather

Will rock the boat you'll see.

The time has come to close your eyes

And still the wind and rain,

For the one who will be King

The Watcher in the Rain,

It is You.

All of you"

,that the lighting was furiously flashing and the rain felt like a whip to the face and then after the song ended the strorm considerably mellowed. it was so epic and i would love to see another concert there. gnr would be great!

I was there too. Under the storm... LOL!

If gnr tour the US this summer and play Arenas it will be the same old situation, half the dates will be sold out, the rest half or little more filled.

Dates like MSG will be sold out

Yeah, and then after the MSG show, Axl won't show up for anymore shows and the producers of this tour will have to cancel the rest of the dates, just like in 2002.

I think if GNR do tour the US, they should try to play smaller venues, or if they play outdoor arena, they should have about 4 opening bands that are hot right now. That's what Motley Crue do now with Cruefest. They headline and get popular acts to open for them and then they close the show with a killer show, which is what GNR can do.

I'd be surprised if Axl and GNR actuallly do a US tour. There are so many cities they would have to play and I'm not sure if Axl wants to be on tour that long? It's all up to him, as usual.