Should summer USA Tour be Stadium or Amphitheatre?

insomniac

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, but now these places are so strict on time and curfews etc.

IMO from observations made I don't think that curfews hold anyone back.

If they go on late they make deal with arena or city to pay a fine and continue on.

If they play in summer it could mean they can't play outside at certain venues because of residential concerns.

I like amphitheaters myself but if the weather is not great its always nicer to be inside (at least those without the cover).

Edited by gunsguy

I really hope they do amphitheatres. one of my favorite places to see a show is the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel NJ. Thats a great venue

They arent going to play a summer tour in the states, they will do South America, then probably head over to Europe in the summer, then as usual they will be playing in the states during the winter. GNR will not want the summer concert tour competition, all the big tour promoters arent going to dedicate themselves to Guns for a whole summer jaunt.

I can only imagine how much nicer it is to play Europe, Asia, and South America for them. In those places, the fans are non-judging, into it, energetic and loud. In North America, the fans are full of judgement, quiet, and they are just standing still watching the show.

I will agree that some big shows are like that but many shows and especially smaller shows and shows on the East Coast are Rockin'! I was at the Gn'R show in Moncton a couple of weeks ago and the crowd was electric!! It wasn't a big venue (maybe 5 - 6000 people) but the smaller venue made for a more intimate experience and really makes you feel part of the show. It was awesome (even Axl commented about it on Twitter)! And any show I've seen around the maritimes have been wicked; even the big shows at Magnetic Hill Music Fest, Halifax, and Cavendish!!

But for this question I'd have to go with arenas, I agree with the posts on here who say that if they are going to do a big tour, they aren't going to sell out many stadiums; and it's kind of a downer to be at a show with the seats half empty (mind you as soon as they take the stage that'll go away)

But: Arenas for sure; not Stadiums. I don't have an opinion on Amphitheaters because I've never actually seen a show at one...

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I highly doubt that they can sell out a stadium these days. Very few bands can, and GN'R isn't one of those that has kept all their fans in the same way as for example AC/DC has through the years.

I highly doubt that they can sell out a stadium these days. Very few bands can, and GN'R isn't one of those that has kept all their fans in the same way as for example AC/DC has through the years.

if we are talking america, ac/dc can't sell out stadiums either. Not many can. Not many bands even attempt it. I saw the Stones at Dodger stadium in '06, it wasn't even sold out, very full but not sold out. GN'R with the lineup it has could barely fill up the field of a stadium. A reunion wouldn't play stadiums either, they'd probably do arenas like van halen did and ac/dc currently does. I don't think people realize how big stadiums are. It's ridiculous to even think that it is anywhere near possible for this band to play stadiums.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Oh, I had no idea of that. I was thinking that it was about the same in the US as in Europe, where AC/DC can sell out stadiums quiet easy. On the other side, America got pretty many bigger stadiums than us.

Oh, I had no idea of that. I was thinking that it was about the same in the US as in Europe, where AC/DC can sell out stadiums quiet easy. On the other side, America got pretty many bigger stadiums than us.

yah ac/dc plays arenas which are generally smaller than stadiums, for example, I saw them at the forum in 08, which holds just under 18,000, dodger stadium holds about 53,000.

yea, Axl will have to be coming on earlier than normal... And if they do outdoor shows... definately cant be going passed 11PM at some places... So i would expect arenas.. smaller arenas more than most

Yeah, you're right. The one outdoor venue here in Dallas does have a time limit. I don't think I've ever seen a headliner go past 11:15. Most headliners are on by 9:30 and are off by 11:00. Most all day festivals start around 1:00 or like Ozzfest around 9:00 a.m.

I really wouldn't care where GNR performed as long as they came to Dallas. There are plenty of venues here all sizes to pick from and like I said, the HOB venue has the best sound system.

yah ac/dc plays arenas which are generally smaller than stadiums, for example, I saw them at the forum in 08, which holds just under 18,000, dodger stadium holds about 53,000.

By the same token however; the 2 stadium shows last year were packed (Though not quite sold out). Gillette and Giants would have probably sold out had they not already played Boston and NYC 6 months earlier. I think it's fair to say AC/DC could sell out stadiums in the bigger markets of North America. Gillette was about 90% full, and from what I've heard Giants was about the same. Both Toronto shows were sold out as well, and Rogers holds 55,000.

By the same token however; the 2 stadium shows last year were packed (Though not quite sold out). Gillette and Giants would have probably sold out had they not already played Boston and NYC 6 months earlier. I think it's fair to say AC/DC could sell out stadiums in the bigger markets of North America. Gillette was about 90% full, and from what I've heard Giants was about the same. Both Toronto shows were sold out as well, and Rogers holds 55,000.

depends how many shows they play in the area and if it is the first time around in years or not. They probably could of played a stadium the first time around in Los Angeles, if they didn't do two nights in L.A., as well as other single nights in areas within only a few hours of L.A. So yeah I agree with you, they probably could sell stadiums pretty well depending on the circumstances though.

depends how many shows they play in the area and if it is the first time around in years or not. They probably could of played a stadium the first time around in Los Angeles, if they didn't do two nights in L.A., as well as other single nights in areas within only a few hours of L.A. So yeah I agree with you, they probably could sell stadiums pretty well depending on the circumstances though.

Yea, that's pretty much what I was getting at. Not to mention I'm sure the economy figured into ticket sales this past year.

yea, Axl will have to be coming on earlier than normal... And if they do outdoor shows... definately cant be going passed 11PM at some places... So i would expect arenas.. smaller arenas more than most

Yeah, you're right. The one outdoor venue here in Dallas does have a time limit. I don't think I've ever seen a headliner go past 11:15. Most headliners are on by 9:30 and are off by 11:00. Most all day festivals start around 1:00 or like Ozzfest around 9:00 a.m.

I really wouldn't care where GNR performed as long as they came to Dallas. There are plenty of venues here all sizes to pick from and like I said, the HOB venue has the best sound system.

The latest ive been at a show is 12:15 and that was papa roach... but it was an indoor gig... longest outdoor was 11:30 for cruefest 2... the curfew is 11 pm here in houston

I vote amphitheaters/mid sized venues. I am a huge Guns fan---and I commend Axl & the boys for kicking some ass so far this tour. However as has been shown with the past few tours, and really the ticket sales in general for most shows in the US-----the music fans are a fickle bunch and there's bound to be a certain amount of skepticism with the fans here.

A slightly smaller setting would benefit the band in several ways IMO-- 1.Fuller Venues and one less thing for media fuckheads to try and bitch about. 2.A more intimate setting for the band to connect with fans 3.Word of mouth would build a buzz if shows start selling out and people have difficulty getting into shows.

Axl knows how to create a buzz and like many others on this board I am truly appreciative and happy for the communication, insight, and most importantly the premium quality of the shows. I can't wait to see 'em in the US......the shows will rock, and hopefully deliver a big FUCK YOU to everyone who said it couldn't be done.

Jayce

If it's during the summer, I'd rather a stadium. But really, as long as they do the tour, it doesn't matter to me. Just give me my General Admission tickets and I'll be happy.

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BACK NICE haha didn't even notice. Awesome! Listening to Cross Purposes Live right now haha.

Tony Martin Sabbath >:

Still love you though<3

Multiple shows at the Nokia Center would be awesome. That building has unbelievable acoustics. Or...if they wanna shake things up, they could book Pizza Hut Park. Dallas has an enormous, rabid Rock fan-base. Shows by established Rock artists usually sell-out in no time.

If it's during the summer, I'd rather a stadium. But really, as long as they do the tour, it doesn't matter to me. Just give me my General Admission tickets and I'll be happy.

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BACK NICE haha didn't even notice. Awesome! Listening to Cross Purposes Live right now haha.

Tony Martin Sabbath >:

Still love you though<3

DUDE big love backatcha hahaha.

On topic: You know what would be an awesome idea: They do 25 dates (or better yet, 60/70) all at the Worcester Centrum in Worcester, Mass, near me, back-to-back. I get to go to every show.

Tony Martin Sabbath >:

Still love you though<3

DUDE big love backatcha hahaha.

On topic: You know what would be an awesome idea: They do 25 dates (or better yet, 60/70) all at the Worcester Centrum in Worcester, Mass, near me, back-to-back. I get to go to every show.

Haha, nice. It's good to see you posting once again Dana. ;)

Anyways, I think it would be a cool idea to do one club show and one amphitheater show at each major city played. I believe the Rolling Stones have done this in the past. Not only would both shows most likely sell-out, but there would be undeniable buzz created.

Edited by IndiannaRose