What does "Prostitute" mean....to you?

springclean

I know its not about this, but one day I was listening and thought of the story of Judas betraying Jesus

"I told you when i found you, if there were doubts you should be careful, but unafraid"

"I wont ask of you, what I would not do"

"Up and away is what ive gotta do"

etc etc

But i'd say not selling out is the main point

I know its not about this, but one day I was listening and thought of the story of Judas betraying Jesus

"I told you when i found you, if there were doubts you should be careful, but unafraid"

etc etc

i was thinking about such similarities too...some lines sound as they could have been taken or at least inspired from the bible.

Amazing song, second best on the album for me after TWAT, and easily in the top 10 GN'R songs ever

Powerful guitars, great emotional lyrics, and a superb ending...

perfect ending to the perfect album

Totally agree, one of my favorites and a very underrated GNR song. Just wish people would appreciate the new stuff more.

Basically a whining song directed towards the haters of the new band and filled to the brim with autotune.

Worst song on CD and one of the worst GNR songs of all time. Thank god for TIL.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

100% agree with you. I just can't get into this song...IMO the beginning is just awful, lyrics rival NR for cheesiness…but that is my opinion…I am glad others like it but for me it just doesn’t do it…and the autotune…yikes this Axl singing right not Jamie fox.

As far as the meaning of the song it sounds to me he doesn’t want to sell out and prostitute himself out like others…

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

It doesn't really mean anything to me. I think it's listening-able, but nothing more. Very overrated on this board.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

etc etc

Wow, I thought the same thing. I listen to CD a lot when I'm walking and I walk a lot. Over time, it seemed to me to be a conversation between Judas and Jesus.

For example:

Jesus:

It's not a question of

Whether my heart is true

Streamlined

I had to pull thought

Look for a new

Beginning on you

Oh I got a message for you

Up and away

It's what I gotta do

Forgive what you have

For what you might lose.

Judas response:

What would you say

If I told you that I'm to blame

And what would you do

If I had to deny your name

Where would you go if I told you

I love you and then walked away

N' who should I turn to

If not for the ones

You would not save

I can't believe anyone else tied that to Judas.

etc etc

Wow, I thought the same thing. I listen to CD a lot when I'm walking and I walk a lot. Over time, it seemed to me to be a conversation between Judas and Jesus.

For example:

Jesus:

It's not a question of

Whether my heart is true

Streamlined

I had to pull thought

Look for a new

Beginning on you

Oh I got a message for you

Up and away

It's what I gotta do

Forgive what you have

For what you might lose.

Judas response:

What would you say

If I told you that I'm to blame

And what would you do

If I had to deny your name

Where would you go if I told you

I love you and then walked away

N' who should I turn to

If not for the ones

You would not save

I can't believe anyone else tied that to Judas.

Not knowing anything about this topic is there some kind of reference to these kind of things somewhere?

Hmmm I think it also has a lot to do with relationships, your relationship with yourself most importantly and

"I told you when I found you if there were doubts you should be careful but unafraid."

That could be directed to a woman in Axl's life and also the beautiful line "What would you do if I told you I loved you and then walked away?"

etc. etc. :)

Not knowing anything about this topic is there some kind of reference to these kind of things somewhere?

Do you mean can I site a reference? Not really, other than where I got the lyrics:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gunsnroses/prostitute.html

because the rest is just my own interpretation.

Or did you mean something else?

Sorry about that, what I mean is I have no knowledge or Judas or Jesus is there something I can read that ties to these lyrics? Like a chapter or verse in the bible? This got my interest and I want to check it out :)

Do you mean can I site a reference? Not really, other than where I got the lyrics:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/gunsnroses/prostitute.html

because the rest is just my own interpretation.

Or did you mean something else?

Sorry about that, what I mean is I have no knowledge or Judas or Jesus is there something I can read that ties to these lyrics? Like a chapter or verse in the bible? This got my interest and I want to check it out :)

Oh, I see, you could start with New Testament, Book of Matthew verse 26 (or somewhere around there.

In short, Judas sold Jesus out to the Romans for some cash. He faked love (kissed Jesus to identify him to the Romans). But it was necessary that this happen since Jesus had to die on the cross to rise and save us all.

There's a lot more to it, but that's the gyst.

Spent a lot of time in the convent.

Edit: oh, important point - Judas feels such remorse over turning on Jesus that he ends up killing himself.

Edited by Orsys

One of my favorite songs on the album. Some of Axl's strongest work both melodically and lyrically, IMO. It's about artistic integrity, honesty, perseverance, and moving forward from a difficult situation in your life.

Ali

Hmmm I think it also has a lot to do with relationships, your relationship with yourself most importantly and

"I told you when I found you if there were doubts you should be careful but unafraid."

That could be directed to a woman in Axl's life and also the beautiful line "What would you do if I told you I loved you and then walked away?"

etc. etc. :)

Yes, i thought it might be a song to Stephanie, but something didn't fit.

What is your view on this great song and the lyrics?

I think it's the best song on CD and I love the James Bond atmosphere that it has to it.

However, I have no idea what the lyrics really mean. Not to read too much into them but is this about selling out or not selling out? Is it about staying true to yourself or giving up and letting go, like in love or life and all? The line "forgive what you have for what you might lose" is killing me every time. I think it could be the song with the deepest meaning along with "Catcher In The Rye".

I also love how the ending is an actual end chord musically and for the album with those three notes coming on and off in waves. The ending is quite intense, taking out the CD after this song feels like coming home from a funeral, I want be left alone for at least an hour but then again I would love to hear a full album with stuff like that so maybe I'm a masochist? LOL...

The song is great!

Prostitute has a James Bond vibe, really? I would think if the world has more of a Bond vibe.

I think the song is about Steph Seymour.