What other rock bands do you think inspired the sound of Chinese Democracy?

Towelie

I love the feel of the up-tempos on CD, the industrial feel and energy of songs like Shacklers, Scraped, Better and the title cut. I would love to know if there were other bands out there with a similar sound that perhaps inspired the production of these songs.

Could anybody shed any light on this? I remember one critic comparing the title cut to Korn, who I can't say I'm all that familiar with.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles (Catcher in the Rye)

Queen (Scraped)

Pink Floyd (Sorry)

Led Zeppelin (Riad)

Bran Van 3000 (Madagascar)

Meat Loaf (This I Love)

Santana (If The World)

Garbage (There Was A Time)

Moby (Prostitute)

Not that any would be rip-offs I just hear a bit of these influences in there.

The most unique sounding song to me is BETTER, it's a mix of many styles but it works.

The Beatles (Catcher in the Rye)

Queen (Scraped)

Pink Floyd (Sorry)

Led Zeppelin (Riad)

Bran Van 3000 (Madagascar)

Meat Loaf (This I Love)

Santana (If The World)

Garbage (There Was A Time)

Moby (Prostitute)

Not that any would be rip-offs I just hear a bit of these influences in there.

The most unique sounding song to me is BETTER, it's a mix of many styles but it works.

I dont know about all those, but for sure Pink Floyd (Sorry).

I remeber a guy talking about some songs that didn't make it in Chinese Democracy. Two songs. One of then he said that sounded like Smells Like Teen Spirit. Anyone remember this ??

I'm sure he was making reference to the title track, 'Chinese Democracy'

I don't hear Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd at all in Chinese Democracy, wtf are you guys talking about?

I hear Guns N' Roses inspired music with excessive production influenced by the likes of earlier Nine Inch Nails albums, as industrial rock was gaining popularity. There's also a song that sounds like it was inspired by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Other than that I guess you can pretty much just list all the classic rock bands that inspired Appetite and the Illusions

also I don't expect a whole lot of you to agree with me on this but Shacklers reminds me of a bloated Brittany Spears single... that chorus :tongue2:

Just looking at the credits, where all the arrangers, producers, and musicians had come from, and Axl wanting it to still sound like a GNR album. He also mentioned listening to movie soundtracks, so you can probably just go on imdb and see who scored a particular film and hear the influence.

I'm also pretty sure with him travelling around the world, someone was playing something in the background that caught his ear and checked it out.

I remeber a guy talking about some songs that didn't make it in Chinese Democracy. Two songs. One of then he said that sounded like Smells Like Teen Spirit. Anyone remember this ??

He said that about a track called 'Quick Song' i think. Axl confirmed the track name as real

besides the bands already mentioned, a possible influence could be jane's addiction.I can't say i hear it very much directly but we all know that axl seems to love that band

off the top of my head...

CD - More than a Feeling meets Vertigo meets Fight song played by Rage Against the Machine.

Shackler's - 4 Lane Black Top by Rob Zombie meets Follow the Leader era Korn with the drum beat from Happiness in Slavery, God of Thunder chorus.

Better - SCOM meets NIN.

SOD - Elton John meets Faith No More.

ITW - Eminem meets Don Johnson.

TWAT - You Can't Always Gimme Shelter played by the New Yardbirds.

Catcher - One in a Hey Jude played by Jerry Lee Lewis.

Scraped - Prodigy meets Out ta Get Me played by Michael Jackson's backing band.

Riad - 21st Century Immigrant Song meets Janes's Addiction.

Sorry - Poles Apart by Floyd meets Rooster.

IRS - Taxman by The Beatles meets 50 Cent.

Madagascar - Massive Attack meets Civil War.

This I Love - Too Much Love Can Kill You by Queen meets that solo on Easy by the Commodores.

Prostitute - Bitter Sweet Symphony by Queen if they were Radiohead.