Guns N' Roses = Best Rock Band Ever

D..

Even if they're not my all-time favorite band, I honestly don't see how anyone could think any band is better than Queen. They're just perfect.

Really?! Queen isn't even in my top 100 artists of all time. I for one think they're extremely overrated with mediocre songs. At the expense of sounding 'homophobic', I would prefer a male lead singer to have a bad-ass straight-male-like attitude. Like Axl. No offense to Freddie... I just can't watch a Queen video or concert footage without thinking 'drag-queen'. And even that aside, the music to me is very lacking. I think millions of other people would agree.

Seriously? Do you actually judge the music of a band on the vocalist's attitude? I know Freddie was acting a bit like a female, but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best singers in the pop/rock history. Maybe it's 'cause they're my favourite band alongside with Guns, but I can't find one negative thing about their music or anything.. :) So just tell me, would like to know. That 'homophobic' comment doesn't count :unsure:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if they're not my all-time favorite band, I honestly don't see how anyone could think any band is better than Queen. They're just perfect.

Really?! Queen isn't even in my top 100 artists of all time. I for one think they're extremely overrated with mediocre songs. At the expense of sounding 'homophobic', I would prefer a male lead singer to have a bad-ass straight-male-like attitude. Like Axl. No offense to Freddie... I just can't watch a Queen video or concert footage without thinking 'drag-queen'. And even that aside, the music to me is very lacking. I think millions of other people would agree.

Seriously? Do you actually judge the music of a band on the vocalist's attitude? I know Freddie was acting a bit like a female, but that doesn't mean he's not one of the best singers in the pop/rock history. Maybe it's 'cause they're my favourite band alongside with Guns, but I can't find one negative thing about their music or anything.. :) So just tell me, would like to know. That 'homophobic' comment doesn't count :unsure:

I don't want a song like

or
on an album that's often hailed the greatest Queen album or rock album of the time. There's plenty more, too. Don't get me wrong, The prophet's song is incredible.

Completely agree. I love Queen but some songs just make me cringe.

"Radio Ga Ga" anyone? question.gif

Another example, thankyou.

Although that can get damn cacthy sometimes :ph34r:

I'm eating bbq-flavoured pringles right now and drinking Stella and that has absolutely nothing to do this, but yes!

Consider me jealous :xmasssanta:

(Postwhoring stopping now)

Guns N' Roses are the best Rock & Roll band of all time. I never get tired of listening to GN'R. Everytime I hear Sweet Child it brings me back to the first time I heard the song, just a magical feeling. I've never experienced that feeling with any other band or artist. That's why to me, Guns are the best ever. rock3

But I guess it's just a matter of opinion... ;)

I don't want a song like

or
on an album that's often hailed the greatest Queen album or rock album of the time. There's plenty more, too. Don't get me wrong, The prophet's song is incredible.

Arh, I understand someone don't like 'Lazing on a sunday afternoon' and 'Seaside Rendezvous', but you gotta admit they're funny songs :lol: I love both of them, but of course it's "only" because of 'Bo Raph' 'A night at the opera' gets so much credit. Not that it's wrong, 'Bo Raph' really is that good. But 'Queen II' is their best album, and it's totally underrated. Listen to 'March of the black queen' it has everything.

edit: Radio gaga is awesome. Just different and not very rock, more straight pop. Not my faveourite though, rarely listen to it actually.

edit again: That they'd so much success with so many different songs shows how good they were and how many people they could reach. Not only the hardrockers, but also people with the more soft taste. Sorry, I see I'm in a big Queen mode today, haha.

Edited by Scaramouche

Guns N Roses, more than any other band I've ever heard, most consitently reach the pinnacle of what music is possible of, ie Sweet Child, Estranged, Nov Rain, Rocket Queen, etc. There are other great bands that certainly have reached that level, ie Zepplin, Stones etc, but none as much as GNR in my opinion. If you take the 10 best GNR songs and match them up against any other rock band, they beat them. Pound 4 pound, GNR are the best!!!!!

Guns N Roses, more than any other band I've ever heard, most consitently reach the pinnacle of what music is possible of, ie Sweet Child, Estranged, Nov Rain, Rocket Queen, etc. There are other great bands that certainly have reached that level, ie Zepplin, Stones etc, but none as much as GNR in my opinion. If you take the 10 best GNR songs and match them up against any other rock band, they beat them. Pound 4 pound, GNR are the best!!!!!

Sorry.

U2 for me

And I think U2 appeals to more races, nationalities, culture etc. then GNR.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Sorry.

U2 for me

I agree with Sunny.

Heck take AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath/ Ozzy, Metallica, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin. Hell any good band with a big back catalogue of 6+ albums and they will beat GN'R purely because Guns have not released enough material.

I don't want a song like

or

I absolutely love Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon and Seaside Rendezvous. And on the contrary, I'd probably go as far as to say The Prophet's Song is my least favorite on ANATO besides Good Company. And I'm a bit split on Love Of My Life, I really don't care for the album version at all, but it's absolutely magical live.

Well,obviously GNR is the favorite band of most people here, you'll just get lots of arguing over what lineup people prefer.

Right cause anything before '94 is the only acceptable answer...after all that was GNR in name, spirit and aura.

people's personal preferences are the only acceptable answer. why do some of you insist on making every topic this" us vs them" argument. it doesn't need to be, lets just enjoy the music we all love.

I don't want a song like

or

I absolutely love Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon and Seaside Rendezvous. And on the contrary, I'd probably go as far as to say The Prophet's Song is my least favorite on ANATO besides Good Company. And I'm a bit split on Love Of My Life, I really don't care for the album version at all, but it's absolutely magical live.

I can't think of a song that gets more respond live than

, absolutely stunning! In this version he's singing almost the whole song though, funny how he often wasn't "allowed" to sing at all :P

Sorry.

U2 for me

I bet my life that GNR played in more countries than U2 and is more popular in more countries/cultures than U2.

I think you're the only person who took One In a Million seriously.

Sorry.

U2 for me

I agree with Sunny.

Heck take AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath/ Ozzy, Metallica, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin. Hell any good band with a big back catalogue of 6+ albums and they will beat GN'R purely because Guns have not released enough material.

Quantity ain't Quality mate. Metallica have release a huge ammount of shit, doesn't make em better than GNR. I respect highly the beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppeling, AC/DC and Black Sabbath (Maiden not so much, don't know why they are consider classic, their music is horrible imo). However, as big, famous as they may be and even though they've had probably a bigger impact on the music industry than GNR, and even if they are more pioneers than GNR are... they ain't better than Guns N' Roses.

Saying AC/DC is better than Guns N' Roses because it had a bigger impact on the music industry/is more popular/has more songs, is like saying the nintendo nes is better than the ps3 from a pure videogame pleasure point of view because it has a bigger game catalogue and had a bigger impact on the videogame industry. Exactly the same story.

Guns N' Roses is an evolution of music in general, and rock n' roll in particular. And hell did they manage to master it like fuck. Guns N' Fukkin Roses is KING.

Edited by D..

Sorry.

U2 for me

I bet my life that GNR played in more countries than U2 and is more popular in more countries/cultures than U2.

I think you're the only person who took One In a Million seriously.

Not at all.

U2 have many of the best ranking tours of all time. Their current tour has already grossed over $300 million and had close to an 100% sell out for every show, in stadiums.

Sure, I think that the band's attitude and especially their image has a TON to do with their aura and how they're 'ranked' or 'judged' by the general public. If GNR always played in, say, tela-tubbie outfits, they wouldn't be considered a 'bad-ass attitude' band.

Technically speaking, I can see where Queen fans appreciate Queen and rank them high on their lists. Freddie can do some amazing things singing, but to me, it's nothing special. He's kinda like an Opera singer gone Rock Band. No big deal. It's kinda like Football and Soccer. I love American Football and don't care much for soccer. But I still appreciate soccer and understand why so many people love it.

It's just a matter of taste. From my vantage point, Queen is highly overrated. They just don't "do it" for me. But in a lot of people's eyes, GNR are the same way. I'm a huge GNR fan but I'm not naive enough to even think they're in the same ballpark with the Beatles, Floyd or Zeppelin. Could GNR have attained that level of 'greatness'? Sure, if they would have held it together and like someone else said, churned out a good album every two years or so.

But that's all water-under-the-bridge to me. As far as I'm concerned, GNR is the greatest rock band of all time in any era, new or old. But that's just my book:)

To each their own, I guess.

Sorry.

U2 for me

Haha! Oh you di'n't just pull the race card there!

Seriously though, I see what you mean by U2 maybe having a wider appeal but I think bands who appeal to a wide audience are often quite bland.

Not saying U2 are but bands like Coldplay etc seem to appeal to the widest audience by not having the balls to offend anybody.

Not pulling any card. I just think U2 appeal to more people who are different in terms of color, religion, culture, income levels etc.

I could be wrong; but I'm black and my black friends who don't normally listen to rock, know and like a couple of u2 songs. The same can not be said if I mention GNR.

To me u2 is like MJ. They appeal to everyone - I don't think you can say that about GNR, and I think you have to be able to say that about a band, if you want to classify them as the best rock band of alltime.

I think Guns N' Roses could have been the best rock band ever. They left the keys to the world and the money of dreams out on the table and much more important than that is legacy. Even in the original line up's run they have managed to create such a strong legacy and made their name legit in the argument of tops bands of all time.

Someone mentioned u2 and well they can't be considered the best rock band of all time because IMO they aren't "just" and a rock band. They have expanded and changed.

Probably the best hard rock band to come out of the 80's. they brought back the edgy, guitar-driven rock and rock back, reminese of early Aerosmith, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones. They also had the sound of Queen and The Beatles in their songs as well. Appetite For Destruction is the best selling debut album EVER, selling 28 million worldwide and counting. They wen't to being underground rockers to being kings in less than a year. After Sweet Child came out they became HUGE. They were selling out everywhere, making epic videos and doing the longest tour in rock history. In my opinion, if they all stayed together they could have been a big as the Rolling Stones. They obviously would perform at the Super Bowl halftime show.

Are they the best band ever, no. That slot goes to The Beatles. Are they good, yes. Influential, kinda. Well known, hell yeah!

They made their mark in rock history. Welcome to the Jungle, Paradice City and Sweet Child O' Mine and many other's will be heard in sports arena's for many years to come, if they didn't have such huge differences and fights they would be big right know. The next stop for them is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Sorry.

U2 for me

Haha! Oh you di'n't just pull the race card there!

Seriously though, I see what you mean by U2 maybe having a wider appeal but I think bands who appeal to a wide audience are often quite bland.

Not saying U2 are but bands like Coldplay etc seem to appeal to the widest audience by not having the balls to offend anybody.

Not pulling any card. I just think U2 appeal to more people who are different in terms of color, religion, culture, income levels etc.

I could be wrong; but I'm black and my black friends who don't normally listen to rock, know and like a couple of u2 songs. The same can not be said if I mention GNR.

To me u2 is like MJ. They appeal to everyone - I don't think you can say that about GNR, and I think you have to be able to say that about a band, if you want to classify them as the best rock band of alltime.

Asia, South America, Europe love Guns N' Roses.

Your opinion doesn't make sense.

Sure, I think that the band's attitude and especially their image has a TON to do with their aura and how they're 'ranked' or 'judged' by the general public. If GNR always played in, say, tela-tubbie outfits, they wouldn't be considered a 'bad-ass attitude' band.

Technically speaking, I can see where Queen fans appreciate Queen and rank them high on their lists. Freddie can do some amazing things singing, but to me, it's nothing special. He's kinda like an Opera singer gone Rock Band. No big deal. It's kinda like Football and Soccer. I love American Football and don't care much for soccer. But I still appreciate soccer and understand why so many people love it.

It's just a matter of taste. From my vantage point, Queen is highly overrated. They just don't "do it" for me. But in a lot of people's eyes, GNR are the same way. I'm a huge GNR fan but I'm not naive enough to even think they're in the same ballpark with the Beatles, Floyd or Zeppelin. Could GNR have attained that level of 'greatness'? Sure, if they would have held it together and like someone else said, churned out a good album every two years or so.

But that's all water-under-the-bridge to me. As far as I'm concerned, GNR is the greatest rock band of all time in any era, new or old. But that's just my book:)

To each their own, I guess.

Actually - Meat Loaf was like an opera singer gone rock band.

But Queen's music is mediocre and lacking? He didn't sing all that operatic live, either. As far as being flamboyant went, there's enough footage of Mick Jagger to revoke his man card for life.

Oh yeah, back then people thought AC/DC, specifically Bon Scott, was bi because of the name before Highway To Hell - where the bible thumpers called them Anti Christ/Devils Children. But then again, no one listened to those early Judas Priest records and put 1 and 1 together. Covering Joan Baez and referencing Fire Island?

I don't expect them to have the same fanbase from 20-30 years ago, but they're still one of the biggest bands in the world.

Pink Floyd are a band whose popularity has grown far bigger in time. I think more people like them now than when they were together. A lot of people HAD Dark Side of the Moon, but seeing them live was another story. People were more likely to go see The Who, Wings, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac, and Eagles.

The show I had wished I could've gone to was Van Halen opening up for Ted Nugent, because VH blew The Nuge off the stage and he went on a f- Van Halen rant and lost his cool.

But the closest band from the 70s to GNR is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Equally volatile, equally talented.