The Sound of Chinese Democracy: More Machine than Man

ITW 2012

Guest RonMexico82

Jimi Hendrix was forever fucking around with new unconventional sounds. That weird sound on Crosstown Traffic was achieved by wrapping sellotape around a comb and blowing through it. Axl has Chris Pittman.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RonMexico82

Jimi Hendrix was forever fucking around with new unconventional sounds. That weird sound on Crosstown Traffic was achieved by wrapping sellotape around a comb and blowing through it. Axl has Chris Pittman.

lol!

'Jimmy had a comb wrapped in sellotape'

Axl has Chris'

guess there lies the difference between guitarists and vocalists :D

Yep :lol: I can just picture Axl summoning Chris to the studio and telling him he wants the sound of a wombat choking on a pretzl filtered through a a revolving speaker cabinet in space.

To echo what some people are saying, classic bands that Axl obviously was inspired by like Queen or Pink Floyd would be doing a lot of similar things production wise if the technology available now had been available back then. I love the production on CD, listening to the album on a good stereo is a treat, it sounds amazing. Compare the production to a lot of recent rock releases like Metallica and AIC's latest albums and it is night and day, CD sounds a million times better in terms of production and mastering. People who are the proponents of raw, stripped down production hate it based on principle but not everything has to sound like 5 guys in a garage to be "rock n' roll." Besides which even AFD was a very polished and well produced album, there just weren't as many layers of sound. But it was a very crisp, polished record in terms of the production and mastering

Edited by shotgunblues1978

it's weird cos on one hand I was surprised by CD production on the other hand it was going that way with the illusions and touring with NIN and T2 all the clues were laid for the future. maybe Oh my god was a red herring. in 20 years the production will be forgotten it will just sound like a really great record with tons of talent showcased and awesome songs. cant wait for the SOD video to break if that ever happens

Anybody else really dig the mechanical sound of Chinese Democracy? I think Axl's digitized vocal army is awesome. Some people hear overproduction but I hear heavy machinery. Like The Terminator stepping over the skeletal remains of a dead era. I can't wait for the sequel since it's supposed to be even meaner and darker.

I more a fan of a warmer organic sound, like they had on UYI 1 & 2. Some people want them to sound "modern", which is a stupid term to use. What is modern anyways? What you hear on MTV?

i like DM a bit but im not a metallica fan really. never liked anything outside of Enter Sandman really. but the new one has a lot catchy tunes on it.Axl's Digital Army is firing on all cylinders on There Was a Time. towards the end there's some epic layered drumming coming that I never heard before until yesterday. It really depends on what you listen on on headphones its one album, on stereo another, shacker's sounds amazing coming out of a lap top.

Anybody else really dig the mechanical sound of Chinese Democracy? I think Axl's digitized vocal army is awesome. Some people hear overproduction but I hear heavy machinery. Like The Terminator stepping over the skeletal remains of a dead era. I can't wait for the sequel since it's supposed to be even meaner and darker.

I more a fan of a warmer organic sound, like they had on UYI 1 & 2. Some people want them to sound "modern", which is a stupid term to use. What is modern anyways? What you hear on MTV?

Warmer? really? i'm the other way, I think CD sounds warmer, has more depth, overall more interesting to listen to, uyi is a bit flat now, granted when it came out it was the prefect record for the time, but times change. All the records seem to be of their time, in someways its great that CD isnt just a remake of UYI, or AFD, even it is influenced by them. The new band really rips on the UYI material now as well. I definitely havent heard a better Live n let die from any of the line ups.

not everything has to sound like 5 guys in a garage to be "rock n' roll."

Just wanted to quote that. It's true.

I'm pretty sure Bridges to Babylon is a rock n roll record. It's ironic that GNR sort of kicked in the door for grunge which then has been like an albatross around it's neck for years, your not 4 Real unless it's 4 chords and you didn't want to make it. It was an accident, honest. But I look around and there's no other raw bands really not even any really terrible punk punk bands and then the GNR songs that made them big are SCOM, NR, Patience, Paradise City, not so raw at all. Raw is a myth. Everyone loves ELO and Billy Joel really.

I would say that from SOD on CD is pretty good on a stereo, then from Sorry to the end. I guess Shackler's could be a bit abrasive, I'd play someone Catcher first it's pretty smooth going, but still Shacklers different on headphones I like at the noises and it's addictive but on speakers its more about the towering chorus and those cords playing behind, same live really its when Axl fronts up and does that chorus that it really seems like a threat, on headphones I love the drumming the swagger of it. It's an addictive track, some people just don't like anything nu metal sounding so I'd play them Sorry or Catcher, SOD.

One is the obvious song from Metallica for me. I liked Loaded and Reload I think. Ain't My Bitch was good, I've just never been obsessed with them, their probably relieved.

I realised the other day that Catcher in the Rye is a bit like One by Metallica. One is sung from the point of view of a soldier or a corpse? So it's like a third person POV like Catcher is sung from Holden Caulfield Syndrome sufferer/mental patient I think? With both songs people sing along with their own personal take on things, like Hey Jude.

It's a slasher B-movie if a video ever gets made and its not like that i'll be completely dumbstruck. There be a bit shaolin Wu Tang vibe to it as well. But the story of the song lyrically is like Catcher? Axl's the shooter in the first verses/funny feeling - then the chorus is just Axl saying there is no reason the shooter did it and it's not bcos of Brownstone??? but i just think of a this shackler thing going on a bender like in Left 4 Dead.

But outside of that, if that is the case, it just comes over like a pyschotic Rob Zombie track. Thats the thing with the first 3 songs, the just takes down Nirvana, Manson, RATM, Zombie, NIN then SOD is like the classic GNR track.

To me, Shackler's sounds like Pirates of The Caribbean directed by John Carpenter and Wes Craven.

ive always felt this. fuck mickey rourke. i think they should remake the opening POTC seige for the shacklers video with 06 braided axl. Aka the shackler. If that’s not the shackler im not player owner coach.

first time i heard shacklers i had 2 thoughts.

1.pirates

2.johnny depps opening to POTC

first show the ship approaching the town, i think they should show some mutilated bodies on the ship during the opening slasher pulses, establishing the shackler has commandeered the boat. Then for the bass riff show the shackler up on the mast approaching the town, when the ship pulls up to the wharf and sinks, as the shackler steps on the wharf the bucket riff kicks in and the shackler starts kickin ass.

it climaxes in a sword fight with tommy Hilfiger in the castle for the love of scarlett johanssen

Edited by Jackie Moon

madagascar has historically been home to pirates. captain kidd had a base there.

maybe we are all missing the boat, so to speak. i think many of us see CD as the soundtrack to excessive decadence, models on yachats doing coke off of pterodactyl eggs while wearing panda skin coats, but maybe its just a bitchin pirate theme. I don’t think pirates would call the irs tho. Or feel sorry. Prostitutes, check. Riad is 100% about pirates, Ill fight anyone who disagrees. Same goes for scraped, Chinese and if the world. Those are pirate anthems. And you could make a pretty good argument for better, catcher and twat.

pirates love and lose too, you know.

The whole of CD is a bit like the soundtrack to a remake of Mutiny on the Bounty.

Madagascar is gagging for a video based on Castaway where a bearded Axl is marooned on an island and builds a raft and paddles to NYC past the statue liberty then helicopters pick him up out of the sea and he flies into do a show at Giants Stadium.

Edited by wasted

The whole of CD is a bit like the soundtrack to a remake of Mutiny on the Bounty.

Madagascar is gagging for a video based on Castaway where a bearded Axl is marooned on an island and builds a raft and paddles to NYC past the statue liberty then helicopters pick him up out of the sea and he flies into do a show at Giants Stadium.

One point on Madagascar I have not seen mentioned.I'm not sure it's valid, but think a moment.Yes, it clearly speaks of desperation, isolation,and despair-no man is an island and all.But, that's also where Darwin cam up with the theory of evolution.Anyone think this may be there in the lyrics a bit also?

It seems to have this feeling of the band having to evolve, grow or die, and forgiveness. Sometimes it sounds a bit like when you come out of rehab, sober but alone. It's a call to arms in the face of immense odds. A statement of intent.

Edited by wasted

I do like this album, like you said; it has a 'mechanical' sound to it which is pretty interesting. I think it will be great, a new CD with Axl's improved vocals. I'm glad that his sound has progressed, instead of staying in the past. (Which is awesome too, but to a certain extent). Music has to evolve [somehow] for people to remain interested, and for it to not become monotonous.

They did something different, tried to push the envelope, I appreciate that. I'm sure they could have just got Mike Clink in and done a UYI III easily.

I sort of like the techno noises cos it's more like stuff the Glimmer Twins did crossed with early NIN. It's bringing classic rock into the 21st century.

They did something different, tried to push the envelope, I appreciate that. I'm sure they could have just got Mike Clink in and done a UYI III easily.

I sort of like the techno noises cos it's more like stuff the Glimmer Twins did crossed with early NIN. It's bringing classic rock into the 21st century.

Good Point wasted!! I kinda see shackler's as a serial killer song, someone pushed past all limits and drawing a line in the sand- I love to blast it when I'm driving, takes road rage ta the next level :lol::lol: