March 14th, 2010 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil IS CANCELLED!

KIKOZ3

Fuck that's horrible news, hope everyone is ok.

The only bright side we can take from this is that it happened before the show started. I dread to think what might of happened to all the people in the front rows, the band, the crew if it has collapsed later into the night because no doubt by then the damage would have been more severe.

Again, I hope everyone turns out ok from this.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PIcture of the stage collapsed on my blog:

gnrworld blog

Hope everybody is well!

I was worried about informing my friends but after seeing this picture,if they were there I guess the outcome would be pretty clear and the official cancellation is just a confirmation of something they already knew.

I'm glad to hear all injuries are minor.I saw a guy all the way up last night fixing something near the roof of the stage and it looked terrifying.It is very,very high.These guys work really hard to put all that monstrous setting in place for our fun and joy and are rarely given ( by us) all the credits they deserve.

+1

just saw that picture, that sucks...

soo, they use the same stage for all concerts???? this means they just lost the stage??? that looks pretty broken.... i wonder what will happen for the future dates :question: :question:

i hope they dont have to go back to the smaller configuration for the upcoming big stadium shows...

just saw that picture, that sucks...

soo, they use the same stage for all concerts???? this means they just lost the stage??? that looks pretty broken.... i wonder what will happen for the future dates :question: :question:

i hope they dont have to go back to the smaller configuration for the upcoming big stadium shows...

From what I imagine yes its all the basic structure but most of that was scaffolding that can be easily brought in, having said that equipment must have been damaged as well, thats a big collapse. I am sure they will be fast to let us know where this goes from here, the important thing right now is that everyone is ok and well

fuck. If this would happend during the show, it could easily mean hunderts of death people..maybe close to thousands. If the stadium would be full, I think that about 3-6 thousands people would be in that arena, where is the stage now. Im just wondering which prick is responsible for this. Don't know how it works in brasil, but in Czech Republic(thats where i live) there are strict rules for every kind construction. I remeber when a local rock group "kabát" was building stage for audience of 60 thousand people. They had had big reserve in strenght of the construction but they still wouldn't get the premission to build that stage if weather wasn't good. Well, my english isnt good, what am i tryin to say is that I believe someone is responsible for this. construcetrs can calculate how heavy rain or wind is the construction able to stand and there is huge reserve for this fixed by law. somtehing went terribly wrong tonight.

Del James posting to DJ Ashba's Facebook: "The stage in Rio collapsed due to a massive thunder storm. Doors to the stadium had not yet opened to the public so no fans were inside when the stage collapsed. The band was not at the venue when this occurred The earliest reports lead us to to believe that there may have been casualties and serious injuries. Th...ankfully that was not the case. Everyone in the GNR crew are shaken up but doing fine. We will keep everyone posted as more information comes in but the most important thing is that everyone, GNR as well as local crew and stage hands, are alive and well."

fuck. If this would happend during the show, it could easily mean hunderts of death people..maybe close to thousands. If the stadium would be full, I think that about 3-6 thousands people would be in that arena, where is the stage now. Im just wondering which prick is responsible for this. Don't know how it works in brasil, but in Czech Republic(thats where i live) there are strict rules for every kind construction. I remeber when a local rock group "kabát" was building stage for audience of 60 thousand people. They had had big reserve in strenght of the construction but they still wouldn't get the premission to build that stage if weather wasn't good. Well, my english isnt good, what am i tryin to say is that I believe someone is responsible for this. construcetrs can calculate how heavy rain or wind is the construction able to stand and there is huge reserve for this fixed by law. somtehing went terribly wrong tonight.

Just got back from Apoteose... and it was going to be a packed show!! Fortunetely no one go hurt and people accepted the cancelation well, it was raining a lot, and I mean a loooooot, there was no way this show could happen (aside from what happened from the stage).

For the Guns camp, we really hope you can set another date in Rio, people understood the decision and what happened and when I was leaving hundreds of people were on the streets chanting GUNS N ROSES!! We hope to see you soon!

Just got back from Apoteose... and it was going to be a packed show!! Fortunetely no one go hurt and people accepted the cancelation well, it was raining a lot, and I mean a loooooot, there was no way this show could happen (aside from what happened from the stage).

For the Guns camp, we really hope you can set another date in Rio, people understood the decision and what happened and when I was leaving hundreds of people were on the streets chanting GUNS N ROSES!! We hope to see you soon!

did you snag any pics of the people or anything? Also where ya from?

did you snag any pics of the people or anything? Also where ya from?

Im from Rio.

I didnt take any pictures, it was raining a lot , but I saw some photographers from local newspapers taking pictures, they tought there was gonna to be a riot (justify their presences there) but there wasnt, people just went home, no problems occured and no people injured (as far as I know).

how does stage collapse from rain

If it rains heavy enough building can collapse, so a stage would be easy. If the ground gets waterlogged and there is a large amount of pressure in the stage it will just give in.

Correct it is also very important to note that a stage is a temporary structure not designed to withstand alot because it needs to be easy enough to put up and down. and as far as being knocked down by wind and rain, ask my neighbor about that one, last night a tree thats been here over 50 years took out his car from the wind and torrential downpours :shock:

If it rains heavy enough building can collapse, so a stage would be easy. If the ground gets waterlogged and there is a large amount of pressure in the stage it will just give in.

Ok. here in Finland we never have bad weathers like that...so just wondering. sucks :(

A thunderstorm is usually a little windy. I would think that's the cause of the damages.

A poorly engineered stage. Unless it was hurricane like winds, then anything can happen.

Edited by BMo13

Can I kill somebody?

Really? It didn't rain all week but today it had to rain. REALLY?????

Come on GN'R, do it tomorrow. Don't just simply cancel. My life depends on this.

I hope they can, depends on the damage and how fast they can get new stuff or what ever