Axl's new way of singing the outro for "Street of Dreams"...

Estranged Reality

Does anyone think it's now better than the way he used to sing it? You can hear an example here:

- it's during the outro part after he usually jumps off the piano.

Instead of matching the pitch of the guitars or whatever (as he used to do), he dips his voice a bit lower. I think it sounds cool. That being said, I wish he'd do the big "was ONLY memory" scream a bit more often (like the studio cut).

I know this is kind of a random topic but I was checking out some bootlegs of "SoD" and he seems to be singing it this way every time, now. It's just a small thing, but imo it's really cool.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I gotta be honest, I liked the demo outro better. I don't hate the album version but the lyrics just seem a little tacked on like "I gotta hurry up and put words here!". I still really love the song though. It's one of my favorites!

I'm not talking about the added lyrics - I mean the way he actually sings the "Ahh ahh ahh" parts.

But now that you bring up the added lyrics - I remember making a thread during the '06 tour saying that it sounded like Axl was adding (at the time barely comprehensible) lyrics to the outro, and some people heard it as well... and other people said they didn't hear it and we were imagining things. Then the album cut had the lyrics we were hearing. I think it's interesting that Axl gradually began adding to the song while touring and is now doing the same thing again.

Is it just me or is there a new chord progression during the second half of the first verse? I mean where it starts "and it hurts too much to see you..." Match it up to the album version. Not quite the same!

In one of the older blues leaks there's a choir ever so faintly joining Axl in the final "Ahh ahh ahh" part. Also ontop; i'm not sure it's actually purposely done like that or Axl simply can't go up another level since he's worn out and his voice is returning to that 06' rasp. Fact is he sounds great IMO. Great video, too.

I like hearing the "What I tell ya?" "It's never better!" bits he sometimes finds enough room to slip in.

Edited by MoonWalker

I really liked how he sang the outro in the Rock Am Ring 2006 show, he sang the words and "aaaahh aaaaahh" parts a little differently to how he usually did it, I thought it was beautiful and always had to keep rewinding and playing that bit over and over.

The 2002 version was definently my favourite live version though, and I much prefered the first leak that came out in 2007 to the album version.

Let me know when they go back to the 2002 intro for The Blues. That was killer. Of all the things that didn't need fucking with on the album.

+1

+2

I'd love to hear Axl's explanation for removing the guitar from the intro. Maybe one day he'll do an interview where he discusses music.

Let me know when they go back to the 2002 intro for The Blues. That was killer. Of all the things that didn't need fucking with on the album.

+1

+2

I'd love to hear Axl's explanation for removing the guitar from the intro. Maybe one day he'll do an interview where he discusses music.

Next Thursday, I promse you that.

My favourite version is definitely from Rock In Rio 3 back in 2001 (fuck is that nearly 10 years ago?!...)

It has the full intro, and the song itself is slightly faster which gives it a bit more energy and swagger. Since then they slowed it down and it's ruins it IMO. The RIR3 version Axl sings the ending great as well, first scream is low but the 2nd scream he nails.

Check it out on YouTube ( it was called The Blues back then)

LA

hey speaking of street of dreams, does anyone have a link to the house of blues 2001 performance of street of dreams? I found it on youtube a while ago after looking so long for it but then i didnt favorite it O.O

I like the background synthesized sounds that went along with the song in the early performances of it long before CD. I imagine those were intact on the older demos pre-leaked demos of The Blues. Or any version without Bucket on it.

Edited by Sweersa

I really liked how he sang the outro in the Rock Am Ring 2006 show, he sang the words and "aaaahh aaaaahh" parts a little differently to how he usually did it, I thought it was beautiful and always had to keep rewinding and playing that bit over and over.

Good call.

Yeah, that's the part of the song I'm talking about in this thread, too. I noticed that when I watched the Rock Am Ring show and thought it was pretty cool as well. I think the new way is my favourite yet, though.

When was the last time he actually went high for the "only memory" part? I think the only time I've heard him successfully hit the note was Osaka 2002.08.18. Has he attempted it recently?

I remember the first time I heard the Osaka boot and was like "whoah!" and how much I wanted him to hit that on the album. Then we got the first Blues leak, and it was great to hear that he went that way.

When was the last time he actually went high for the "only memory" part? I think the only time I've heard him successfully hit the note was Osaka 2002.08.18. Has he attempted it recently?

I remember the first time I heard the Osaka boot and was like "whoah!" and how much I wanted him to hit that on the album. Then we got the first Blues leak, and it was great to hear that he went that way.

He did it a couple times during this tour, at the first few shows, but I haven't heard it since.

My favourite version is definitely from Rock In Rio 3 back in 2001 (fuck is that nearly 10 years ago?!...)

It has the full intro, and the song itself is slightly faster which gives it a bit more energy and swagger. Since then they slowed it down and it's ruins it IMO. The RIR3 version Axl sings the ending great as well, first scream is low but the 2nd scream he nails.

Check it out on YouTube ( it was called The Blues back then)

LA

Very much agree. That live version is my favorite version of the tune, and one of the best live versions of a GNR tune I've heard.

I also really like the 'Chinese Democracy' and 'Madagascar' from that show a lot. I often think its because that's where I first heard them. I got used to those versions for YEARS.

But don't be fooled. That concert is a fucking trainwreck. I love those three tunes, but most of the older tunes are just fucking awful. 'You Could Be Mine' is especially terrible.

The Blues @ Rio '01 is still my favourite, yeah. The whole "Okay, nevermind!" thing got stuck in my head for the longest time...whenever I'd listen to other versions of the song, I'd expect that part to pop up like it was part of the song. :lol:

The song had a faster pace then, was more energetic, had the sweet guitar riff (that NEVER should have been removed, imo) and, because it was only the second time it had ever been performed, you could really tell how much Axl was into it. His voice was off that night but the new songs hadn't been heard by most people before, so for many of us paying attention back then, that's how we came to know them. I actually find the "cleaner" vocals on SoD to be more effective than the raspier ones.

The Blues @ Rio '01 is still my favourite, yeah. The whole "Okay, nevermind!" thing got stuck in my head for the longest time...whenever I'd listen to other versions of the song, I'd expect that part to pop up like it was part of the song. :lol:

The song had a faster pace then, was more energetic, had the sweet guitar riff (that NEVER should have been removed, imo) and, because it was only the second time it had ever been performed, you could really tell how much Axl was into it. His voice was off that night but the new songs hadn't been heard by most people before, so for many of us paying attention back then, that's how we came to know them. I actually find the "cleaner" vocals on SoD to be more effective than the raspier ones.

Yeah, the song was a lot peppier. I prefered it that way. It was a fun song.