"My love/hate affair with Axl Rose"

John Bonham

Everybody has their own opinion. She has hers. I disagree 100%. I love Chinese Democracy. Still listen to it almost daily. I also have loved most of the songs off of Slash's solo album.

What I find most pathetic (and slightly funny) are the Axl bashers who are still posting here!!!!!! You hate Axl, you hate the new album, you hate "Axlites".....but you have nothing better to do with your time than to hang out on a gnr forum and bash Axl and his fans. Does that make you feel better about yourself? I've never understood why Slash lovers have this deep need to come here and bash not only Axl, but his fans. (Not seeing the hypocricy in what they are doing).

But whatever. Sad that people can't just enjoy the music they love. I dont understand why anybody gets mad and upset over what OTHER people enjoy. Life is too short.

I agree with you. It's really quite unbelievable that so many of them still come here to start shit. We have an Ex gunners section, where Slash and all of the old band members can be discussed until the cows come home. This section has nothing to do with Slash and everything to do with Axl and the current line up of GN'R - so why not stay the fuck out? We don't want to hear your negative shit... and as fans, of course most of us think the article is a load of shit, it doesn't make us axlites, it makes us fans.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never understand why some people feel that anything that happened before 94 shouldn't be discussed.

Or act as if CD is the only album that GNR ever released.

Everybody has their own opinion. She has hers. I disagree 100%. I love Chinese Democracy. Still listen to it almost daily. I also have loved most of the songs off of Slash's solo album.

What I find most pathetic (and slightly funny) are the Axl bashers who are still posting here!!!!!! You hate Axl, you hate the new album, you hate "Axlites".....but you have nothing better to do with your time than to hang out on a gnr forum and bash Axl and his fans. Does that make you feel better about yourself? I've never understood why Slash lovers have this deep need to come here and bash not only Axl, but his fans. (Not seeing the hypocricy in what they are doing).

But whatever. Sad that people can't just enjoy the music they love. I dont understand why anybody gets mad and upset over what OTHER people enjoy. Life is too short.

I agree with you. It's really quite unbelievable that so many of them still come here to start shit. We have an Ex gunners section, where Slash and all of the old band members can be discussed until the cows come home. This section has nothing to do with Slash and everything to do with Axl and the current line up of GN'R - so why not stay the fuck out? We don't want to hear your negative shit... and as fans, of course most of us think the article is a load of shit, it doesn't make us axlites, it makes us fans.

fan is short for fanatic

Edited by SunnyDRE

I'll never understand why some people feel that anything that happened before 94 shouldn't be discussed.

Or act as if CD is the only album that GNR ever released.

fan is short for fanatic

it should be disscussed...

here.... http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showforum=8

What's most disturbing to me about this thread is the fact that people actually think this article is well written. :shocked:

That shit has so many holes in it, it's almost embarassing.

Agree man :rofl-lol:

after this quotes what can u expect :shrugs:

to denial (I swear to you I never owned The Spaghetti Incident)
My real lust for the band kind of faded right around Civil War
They gave us the good stuff first so they could later on sit back and make this pretentious, melodramatic drivel that they called art.
ROFL!

i could go on.... but i cant belive what im reading ^^

Did he seriously say that he first started to dislike GNR when Civil War came out?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I don't agree, but I don't think that is to much of a stretch.

I know fans that don't like the ballads on the Illusion albums or feel as if the melodramatic material on those albums is the point where the band jumped the shark.

Did he seriously say that he first started to dislike GNR when Civil War came out?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I know fans that don't like the ballads on the Illusion albums or feel as if the melodramatic material on those albums is the point where the band jumped the shark.

Well, "Estranged" is my favorite Guns song so whatever.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Don't get me wrong, I love Civil War. It was my fave GNR song for along time; But I do know there are GNR fas that feel like the band lost some its "danger" with songs like November Rain, Civil War, Estranged.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Don't get me wrong, I love Civil War. It was my fave GNR song for along time; But I do know there are GNR fas that feel like the band lost some its "danger" with songs like November Rain, Civil War, Estranged.

well more than half of the UYI songs were made at the same time as the AFD ones...

The woman that wrote that article is an obviously naive, ignorant and emotionally challenged person that needs to project her own inner lack of fulfillment outwards and try to crucify someone that as of last night, played in front of 30,000 eager fans who's lives he has inspired. Nuff said!!

Edited by Tyson

The truth is the "general public" really doesn't know who the guitar players or any other band members are in a band. The singer is who they fixate on and since video is dead most of the GP have never seen what their favorite groups look like. Can any of your moderate music fan friends name anyone but Bono in U2, Brandon Flowers in The Killers, Chad Kroeger (vomits) in Nickelback, or Tom Petty from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. No offense to Slash but that's just the way things are now. IMO only the fans give a damn and everyone else just cares if they like the music or not.

The truth is the "general public" really doesn't know who the guitar players or any other band members are in a band. The singer is who they fixate on and since video is dead most of the GP have never seen what their favorite groups look like. Can any of your moderate music fan friends name anyone but Bono in U2, Brandon Flowers in The Killers, Chad Kroeger (vomits) in Nickelback, or Tom Petty from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. No offense to Slash but that's just the way things are now. IMO only the fans give a damn and everyone else just cares if they like the music or not.

Apparently, you've never heard of Youtube.

You should check it out.

My love/hate affair with Axl Rose

By MICHELE CATALANO

I was reading a few articles this morning about Axl Rose being sued and it got me thinking about my long, on again-off again relationship with Axl and Guns N’ Roses and how I never got to tell anyone how much I hated Chinese Democracy and everything that went into it. Old story? Sure. But hyperbolic hatred loves a new audience.

My history with Axl and company is a long and complicated one. I imagine that most metal fans who hooked on to the early GnR bandwagon followed the same path I did. Think of the seven stages of grief in reverse. From acceptance (Appetite for Destruction = welcome to my record collection!) to denial (I swear to you I never owned The Spaghetti Incident), we watched – and in some ways participated in – the slow death of a once great band. But it wasn’t their years of putting out head banging, fist pumping music that was the greatest show. No, it was watching Axl Rose trying in vain to raise the Phoenix from the ashes that offered the most jaw dropping, car-wreck kind of entertainment this side of the November Rain video.

Real music fans don’t just buy an album, get their groove on and put the album away until later. We invest a part of ourselves in each record we buy. And, by extension, we invest a piece of ourselves in the bands we love. We form a relationship, so to speak, with the band as a whole. And it’s a tenuous sort of relationship, because the only thing that ties us together is the actual music. A new album comes out, you listen for the first time and each perfectly crafted song is tantamount to being embraced by a passionate lover. Every lyric that resonates, beat that you feel in your bones, hook that captures your soul – it’s like making love to the music and those who made the music (metaphorically speaking, of course). The better the anticipated album or single, the more intense the action is. So each new album we wait for is like the promise of hot, dirty sex after your partner has been away for a while. And in that essence, Chinese Democracy was a years long cock tease.

My real lust for the band kind of faded right around Civil War. It was then I realized that Guns N’ Roses was the equivalent of the girl who teases you with her perky breasts for years and when you finally manage to get under the hood, you grab hold of three inches of padded bra. All that music before Use Your Illusion II was just a ruse to get us to this point. They gave us the good stuff first so they could later on sit back and make this pretentious, melodramatic drivel that they called art. There was nothing left to them. Empty D cups.

I never held a grudge against the rest of the band like I do Axl. He was – and is – a self indulgent monster whose posturing bravado could never hide the fact that he was really nothing more than a wimp, a nancy boy, a withered soul of a human being who couldn’t handle criticism or competition. Yet somehow, he managed to convince himself that he was the king of the mountain and deserved every indulgence he demanded – something the attempted creation of Chinese Democracy made all so evident, especially since during the recording of that disaster he surrounded himself with people just like himself.

He accompanied Buckethead on a jaunt to Disneyland when the guitarist was drifting toward quitting, several people involved recalled; then Buckethead announced he would be more comfortable working inside a chicken coop, so one was built for him in the studio, from wood planks and chicken wire.

That excerpt alone is what symbolizes both Axl Rose and the whole warped evolution of Guns N’ Roses. Ridiculous excess, indulgence, pretentiousness and the penchant for extending the idea of making an album to such ridiculous heights that, somehow, building a chicken coop for Buckethead seemed like a good way to spend money. The mere fact that Axl spent 14 years and 13 million dollars of someone else’s money making what amounts to a mediocre tribute to his own ego is all anyone needs to know about the mindset of the man.

Of course I listened to the album when it finally came out. I had to know. Was it worth the time and money? Would Axl regain my love? Does this band really deserve to be named Guns N’ Roses? And, like any great myth, the legend of Chinese Democracy was a tale bigger and grander than the sum of its parts. I thought it was bland, lifeless and sad, desperate attempt to recapture the hearts and minds of the people who swayed along to Sweet Child of Mine but who refused to acknowledge any Guns N’ Roses that didn’t include Slash. Sure, millions of people bought the album, but there’s only going to be so many people, most of them sporting mullets and sleeveless denim jackets, who will truly, honestly believe in their hearts that the band that put out Chinese Democracy, and the band that is currently touring under the Guns N’ Roses name is actually Guns N’ Roses. Because it isn’t. Not by a longshot. If Axl had any integrity at all, he would have ditched the band name and come up with something new. But ingegrity and Axl Rose have never gone hand in hand, have they?

I would say Chinese Democracy was the final chapter in the rise and fall of Axl, but it’s more like the rise and fall and fall and fall; he seems determined to make his plunge from rock star to “Where Are They Now?” last forever. Currently, he’s at the bloated, hardly recognizable stage of demise. But if it’s controversy and lawsuits that keep him alive, Axl will live forever.

I prefer to remember Axl the way I first loved him; all swaying hips and high decibel screaming, causing riots, forgetting to show up for concerts, making an ass of himself in ways that are forgivable in rock and roll. Everything from the original Guns N Roses on? As unforgivable as The Spaghetti Incident.

Every time Axl makes the news, I listen to Appetite for Destruction and yearn for the days when our relationship was so uncomplicated.

http://trueslant.com/michelecatalano/2010/03/26/my-lovehate-affair-with-axl-rose/

Currently, he’s at the bloated, hardly recognizable stage of demise whats that all about?

The mans 48 years old of course he's going to have a little extra weight, can't expect him to look like he did when he was like 20, because thats just ridiculous.

He still has the same stage presence, fair enough he doesn't jump about crazy like he used to, but like i said he 48 years old, but he still draws a crowd and people are still addicted to his mysterious intenseness that he's always had, he's definetley not lost that.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Drifter