Music Essentials

kevin

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main St. + plenty of others

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison, At San Quentin

Gram Parsons - GP, Grievous Angel

Bruce Springsteen - Everything between debut and Born in the USA

Big Star - the first three albums

eh...there's too many to mention like this.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

I completely agree.

I don't think anything is absolutely essential to hear. Telling someone they have to listen to an album makes it feel like the equivalent to forced summer reading that actual enjoyable listening. So, instead, I'll just suggest a few albums I think are worth hearing.

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

Eminem??? :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

I don't think anything is absolutely essential to hear. Telling someone they have to listen to an album makes it feel like the equivalent to forced summer reading that actual enjoyable listening. So, instead, I'll just suggest a few albums I think are worth hearing.

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

Eminem??? :rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Ohh noes, RAP?!! you must be kidding son, rap is not music lololol ROCK N ROLL FOREVER!!! :lol::rofl-lol:

:blink:

Definitly Maybe - Oasis

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys

Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols

Blonde On Blonde - Bob Dylan

London Calling - The Clash

Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles

All of the Hendrix studio albums.

Metallica- Master of Puppets

Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger

Rolling Stones- Beggars Banquet, Exile on Main Street and Sticky Fingers

Pearl jam-first 3 albums

Muddy Waters-Folk Singer

Any 60s and early 70s era Bob Dylan.

Edited by Mastodonny

Guest Len B'stard

Nothings essential, there's nothing more boring than an album collection full of 'essentials'. The beatles, the stones, the who, the beatles, the stones, the who, i love a lot of bands that come under that essential banner but at the same time when i look at a record collection i wannabe turned on to something, not just nod in agreement whilst scratching my chin.

This is how I'd word it:

Someone who's been deaf their entire life gets surgery and their hearing will be completely normal. Or, someone who was raised by a pack of wolves is being acclimated to modern society, what kind of CD mix would you make for someone who has no idea what music is? Get everything you've enjoyed and grown used to listening to out of your head, and go with what essential music you think they should be exposed to... do you let them hear standard Christmas music, do you send them straight to rock and roll, do you make a mix of the classical music you are familiar with through Bugs Bunny and favorite movies?

Guest Len B'stard
Someone who's been deaf their entire life gets surgery and their hearing will be completely normal. Or, someone who was raised by a pack of wolves is being acclimated to modern society, what kind of CD mix would you make for someone who has no idea what music is? Get everything you've enjoyed and grown used to listening to out of your head, and go with what essential music you think they should be exposed to... do you let them hear standard Christmas music, do you send them straight to rock and roll, do you make a mix of the classical music you are familiar with through Bugs Bunny and favorite movies?

I'd do my utmost to not make an "essential list android" out of them, i'd be quite interested to see what they naturally find and respond to rather than doing the whole "once upon a time there was a young man born in Tupelo Mississippi named Elvis Aaron Presley" bit, its occurs to me that a person whoose just heard music for the first time would be free of the cynical little bullshit that clouds my judgement and would perhaps appreciate music on a level that i could never, except from taking his cue.

I'm full of all sorts of "ugh, this this and this band suck" crap...a person coming to music for the first time like that will have a much more honest ear than mine and much more heartfelt responses. They wouldn't rip it apart like i do "hmm, this sounds like The Stones only it has a little more etc etc etc".

I'd probably learn more from them than they ever could from me..

Edited by sugaraylen

My essentials would be:

Aerosmith's Greatest Hits

Ac/Dc's Back in Black

All four Buckcherry albums

Great White's Twice Shy

Cinderella's Still Climbing

Poison's Greatest Hits

All the Motley Crue albums

All the GnR albums except CD

And of course, all the Izzy albums :wub:

^^^^ That. A million times that.

Also,

Back in Black-AC/DC

Nevermind- Nirvana

Nevermind the Bollocks- Sex Pistols

Ramones s/t

Led Zeppelin s/t

Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd

Beggars Banquet- The Rolling Stones

Whos Next- The Who

Paranoid- Black Sabbath

Marshall Mathers LP- Eminem

Ready To Die- The Notorious B.I.G.

The Doors s/t

Doolittle- Pixies

Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan

Are You Experienced?- The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Master of Puppets- Metallica

But as Sugaraylen mentioned, there's nothing more boring than a music collection with just the "essentials"

These albums are just to "get you started" The vast majority of these aren't even the artists' best work...just their most accessible.

I'd do my utmost to not make an "essential list android" out of them, i'd be quite interested to see what they naturally find and respond to rather than doing the whole "once upon a time there was a young man born in Tupelo Mississippi named Elvis Aaron Presley" bit, its occurs to me that a person whoose just heard music for the first time would be free of the cynical little bullshit that clouds my judgement and would perhaps appreciate music on a level that i could never, except from taking his cue.

I'm full of all sorts of "ugh, this this and this band suck" crap...a person coming to music for the first time like that will have a much more honest ear than mine and much more heartfelt responses. They wouldn't rip it apart like i do "hmm, this sounds like The Stones only it has a little more etc etc etc".

There's a lot of music out there - but you're going to wind up looking for a mix of traditional and modern songs. Which is why I'd prob. start with folk music... Pete Seeger's prob. one of the most important of the 20th century, because he ties into working with Alan Lomax, playing with Woody Guthrie to Bob Dylan to Bruce Springsteen, and had his share of controversy, took "We Shall Overcome" from a gospel song into a rallying cry for civil rights, (although Baez gets some credit for that, she's someone you can connect Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, and Judas Priest... ) but he has this appeal that spans ages. I'd have to go with the basics of music as far as anything related to a music essential goes.

Guest Len B'stard

There's a lot of music out there - but you're going to wind up looking for a mix of traditional and modern songs. Which is why I'd prob. start with folk music... Pete Seeger's prob. one of the most important of the 20th century, because he ties into working with Alan Lomax, playing with Woody Guthrie to Bob Dylan to Bruce Springsteen, and had his share of controversy, took "We Shall Overcome" from a gospel song into a rallying cry for civil rights, (although Baez gets some credit for that, she's someone you can connect Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, and Judas Priest... ) but he has this appeal that spans ages. I'd have to go with the basics of music as far as anything related to a music essential goes.

Yeah, the anthology of american folk music'd be a good start i guess :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoEG8SRiNn8 breathtaking..

Edited by sugaraylen

Prince - Purple Rain

Prince - Sign O The Times

The Time - What Time Is It

Michael Jackson - HIStory

Michael Jackson - Dangerous

David Bowie - Low

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

Neil Young - Harvest

Tori Amos - From The Choirgirl Hotel

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk