SLASH says CD was the perfect AXL record

supercool

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/music/with_slash_lDtKV134RfV1vU908WBSlI

Considering the train wreck Axl Rose has become, it’s hard to believe that Slash was in a band with him for even a minute. Slash’s mellow demeanor is nearly equal in degree to Axl’s level of personal turbulence. And yet Slash, who created some of the greatest guitar riffs and solos of the rock era (“November Rain,” “Sweet Child o’ Mine,” “Welcome to the Jungle,” etc.), struck lightning not once, but twice, in the wacked-out vocalist department by creating Velvet Revolver with singer Scott Weiland.

The poster child for Ray Bans and top hats spoke to The Post.

NY Post: Since your mother [OLA HUDSON] was a costume designer for musicians and your father [Anthony Hudson] created album art, Were you exposed to rock stars growing up?

Slash: Yeah. A lot of pop-star eccentricity — a lot of wants and needs and delusions of grandeur. Joni Mitchell was probably my favorite. She was just a very deep, soulful individual. Then, on the flip side, there was Cher, who was obnoxious. She had a lot of attitude. My mom had a store, and she would come into the shop and be demanding and rude.

NYP: When Axl finally released “Chinese Democracy” in 2008, What did you think?

Slash: It was the perfect Axl record — exactly what I would have expected from the final years of us working together, and seeing where he was headed musically. It’s very heavy; sort of a dark, depressing record. He’s f- - - ing phenomenal.

NYP: But the two of you haven’t spoken in years. would you be open to speaking again?

Slash: I’m more standoffish because I know how vehemently he hates me. So that sort of makes me doubt it. But if we ran into each other and all that animosity were to pass for a second, then I’m sure we could have an interesting conversation.

NYP: Axl Rose and Scott Weiland are great vocalists, but not so stable. Is that why you worked with so many guests on your new record?

Slash: Now you’re getting into the deeper psychological aspect of it, which I hadn’t really taken into consideration. Maybe a couple of hours on the couch might pull that one out! I think the whole thing was just inspired by great singers that I wanted to work with. I didn’t think about other aspects of it. But the one cool thing that did come out of this was that it gave me a whole new respect for singers, and changed my attitude toward them given the last couple of guys that I’ve worked with. These people were all amazingly gracious and professional. I’ve done so much session work where I write or play with somebody, and it’s an empty feeling when you’re done because they take off with the material — it’s like being a surrogate. So this time, I had all these people play on my record.

NYP: That song “Beautiful Dangerous” is pretty hard-rocking for Fergie!

Slash: It is. But here’s the thing about Fergie: I met her at club Avalon in LA four years ago. We did a little rock medley, and she sang “Black Dog,” “Live and Let Die” and “Barracuda” like nobody’s business. I just don’t hear great female rock singers like that anymore. It was f- - - in’ amazing. She’s actually more of a rock ’n’ roll singer than a pop singer; I think even Will [will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas] knows that.

NYP: On Tuesday, Slash releases his first-ever solo album — simply titled “Slash” — featuring a range of guest vocalists that includes Ozzy Osbourne, Fergie, Adam Levine, Chris Cornell, Iggy Pop and more.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/music/with_slash_lDtKV134RfV1vU908WBSlI#ixzz0kDQ0KyOF

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash: I’m more standoffish because I know how vehemently he hates me. So that sort of makes me doubt it. But if we ran into each other and all that animosity were to pass for a second, then I’m sure we could have an interesting conversation.

:(

glad he leaves us with a shimmer of hope though

I agree with Slash.

CD is perfect and Axl is fuckin' phenomenal.

CD is perfect , in a dark, depressing sort of way.

Every track is doom.

Putting 15 years into a doom show backed up by the great talents of Robin, and Bucket might shed some light on what Axl's about.

Right, its better to be writing songs about an addiction to pills when your 43.

Does it seem like a bit of a back handed compliment? Yes, he thinks Axl is phenominal, but 'he hates me' making himself the victim again, like he never had any part in the problems.

Having said that, I'm not sure what else he can say when they keep bringing it up in interviews. Maybe he could leave it at 'we've gone our separate ways'.

I agree with Slash.

CD is the product of a neurotic, psychotic, bi-polar 10 year old who can't seem to let go of the past, so he writes songs like Sorry and Shackler's Revenge.

Please, Slash's album has much more immature songs. Sorry=Crucify the Dead thank you. Shacklers is about school shootings, not really an immature subject. Im sorry that Slash has to stick creating songs that are mainly poprock and could be done on the own right of the singers.

I agree with Slash.

CD is the product of a neurotic, psychotic, bi-polar 10 year old who can't seem to let go of the past, so he writes songs like Sorry and Shackler's Revenge.

"I know you don't wanna hear me cryin'

An I know you don't wanna hear me deny

That your satisfaction lies in your illusions

But your delusions are yours and not mine

We take for granted we know the whole story

We judge a book by its cover

And read what we want

Between selected lines"

I wonder if Axl actually hates Slash now, of course no one here knows what really goings on behind the scenes but the current tour and the way he has been on stage shows just a more laid back happy Axl. It would be cool for them to put aside the differences they still have but at least we got Chinese Democracy (Amazing) and now Slash (Awesome).

Edited by Rose UK