Song Credits from Chinese Democracy Tab Book

jellyzero

Chinese Democracy (Rose/Freese/Tobias/Stinson/Finck/Reed/Costanzo/Cardieux)

Shackler's Revenge (Rose/Carroll/Costanzo/Mantia/Finck/Scaturro)

Better (Rose/Finck)

Street Of Dreams (Rose/Stinson/Reed/Finck/Tobias)

If The World (Rose/Pitman)

There Was A Time (Rose/Tobias/Stinson/Reed)

Catcher In The Rye (Rose/Tobias/Finck/Reed/Stinson)

Scraped (Rose/Costanzo/Carroll)

Riad N' The Bedouins (Rose/Stinson/Finck/Tobias/Reed)

Sorry (Rose/Carroll/Mantia/Scaturro)

IRS (Rose/Tobias/Reed)

Madagascar (Rose/Pitman)

This I Love (Rose)

Prostitute (Rose/Tobias/Finck)

if they made all those errors with the songwriting credits, i wonder how many errors they did with which people played on what parts, like i find it strange that richard only plays on 5 of the songs while bumble plays on all of them

if they made all those errors with the songwriting credits, i wonder how many errors they did with which people played on what parts, like i find it strange that richard only plays on 5 of the songs while bumble plays on all of them

I wonder about that too, Andrew. I think these credits are very revealing because you can see that in the early songs for the album (TWAT, IRS, etc) the new band was writing as a unit. On most of those songs you see Rose/Finck/Reed/Tobias/Stinson or close to that. Later when the sessions changed direction and Bucket joined you see that the producers and programmers are so involved with the editing and arranging of the songs that they too receive a writing credit. I think it shows that there were 3 distinct eras of the CD sessions.

- New band jamming, writing, and recording together

- Newer members of the band writing and recording with Rose, producers and engineers molding the songs afterwards.

- Finally, adding more overdubs and second guessing before letting the album out to be pressed.

I also think that it is possible to see when the songs were originally written based on the writing credits. We know This I Love was the first song written so...This is my guess:

1992:

This I Love

1997-1999:

Street Of Dreams

Riad N' The Bedouins

There Was A Time

IRS

Prostitute

Chinese Democracy

Catcher In The Rye

------------these were written and originally recorded by Rose/Stinson/Finck/Reed/Tobias/Freese

2000:

Madagascar

If The World

-------------after Finck's departure these songs were written by Rose and new recruit Chris Pitman in the absense of a suitable replacemtn lead guitarist.

2000-2002:

Shackler's Revenge

Scraped

Sorry

----------Buckethead and Brain are now in the band. Rose is once again inspired and new songs are written, drums are re-recorded, many more guitar overdubs take place. Finck rejoins the band for the 1st live shows and then stays on to add his parts to the album (again). I also believe these are the songs that were worked on when the 2002 tour abruptly ended.

2003:

Better

-------I believe Better to be the newest song on the album. I think it was written after Finck rejoined. We know that other members like Thal, Ferrer, and Fortus added overdubs to the album during the timeframe from 2002-2008.

I also think that it is possible to see when the songs were originally written based on the writing credits. We know This I Love was the first song written so...This is my guess:

1992:

This I Love

1997-1999:

Street Of Dreams

Riad N' The Bedouins

There Was A Time

IRS

Prostitute

Chinese Democracy

Catcher In The Rye

------------these were written and originally recorded by Rose/Stinson/Finck/Reed/Tobias/Freese

2000:

Madagascar

If The World

-------------after Finck's departure these songs were written by Rose and new recruit Chris Pitman in the absense of a suitable replacemtn lead guitarist.

2000-2002:

Shackler's Revenge

Scraped

Sorry

----------Buckethead and Brain are now in the band. Rose is once again inspired and new songs are written, drums are re-recorded, many more guitar overdubs take place. Finck rejoins the band for the 1st live shows and then stays on to add his parts to the album (again). I also believe these are the songs that were worked on when the 2002 tour abruptly ended.

2003:

Better

-------I believe Better to be the newest song on the album. I think it was written after Finck rejoined. We know that other members like Thal, Ferrer, and Fortus added overdubs to the album during the timeframe from 2002-2008.

yeah i was thinking these same lines, except for better, that was most likely recorded in 2001 or 2002 since richard and paul were both on it

I vaguely remember some story about this chick who visited Axl at his house at some party, she posted pictures too on her website with her son playing on Axl's property, and this was somewhere at the end of the 90s and she also said that Axl had just finished writing this song and he played that to her and said it was called Madagascar...

I vaguely remember some story about this chick who visited Axl at his house at some party, she posted pictures too on her website with her son playing on Axl's property, and this was somewhere at the end of the 90s and she also said that Axl had just finished writing this song and he played that to her and said it was called Madagascar...

Yes...her name was Betsy. The photos of that trip are posted here

http://axl_rose_shrine.tripod.com/trip1.html/index.html

Yeah guys I am saying when the songs were written and basic tracks were probably recorded. I hadn't heard that about "Madagascar".

Robin left in '99 after recording a good deal of the album from '97-'99, that is common knowledge. He left and eventually Buckethead came in and re-recorded a lot of his parts after Axl had them "erased". When Robin rejoined the band he had to go back and re-record all of those parts plus add to the newly written songs.

The album was recorded from 1999-2002.

Then they added Ron, Frank and Bach's parts towards the end of 2006/early 2007.

I will agree with 97-02 but not 99-02.