Sorry and Crucify the Dead

Megan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry is actually a great track musically, but Axl ruins it with his "I'm a 12-year-old having a temper tantrum, let me list all the reasons why I hate you" lyrics and unlistenable vocal delivery.

Therefore, Crucify the Dead wins.

Agree. The lyrics on Sorry are plain bad. Now I have learned to "accept" it, but the first time I heard it I really felt embarresed inside. Crucify The Dead rocks though rock1

Slash & Ozzy are GODS!!!!!!!

Sorry is actually a great track musically, but Axl ruins it with his "I'm a 12-year-old having a temper tantrum, let me list all the reasons why I hate you" lyrics and unlistenable vocal delivery.

Therefore, Crucify the Dead wins.

Agree. The lyrics on Sorry are plain bad. Now I have learned to "accept" it, but the first time I heard it I really felt embarresed inside. Crucify The Dead rocks though rock1

Slash & Ozzy are GODS!!!!!!!

Both of them are fairly trite lyrically speaking.

There's something pathetic and slightly homo-erotic about two grown men writing those kind of lyrics about eachother.

Sorry isn't about Slash though. I don't believe that's 100% the case myself based on one line "You know where to put your, just shut up and sing," but Axl would know better, he wrote the damn thing. Plus if he is willing to call him a cancer I don't see saying the song is about him as that big an issue.

It's very easy to attribute a lot of the lines in Sorry to other people/issues besides Slash.

Edited by plonker88

In my opinion, when you hear Crucify the dead and the lyrics, it fits. I'm not judging on the song, if I like it or not, it just seems coherent. Sound and words follow a path and it works.

On the other hand, Sorry is an awesome song whose lyrics ruin it a little bit. I mean, with that atmosphere and softness, maybe it could have been about something more poetic, even simpler.

Plus if he is willing to call him a cancer I don't see saying the song is about him as that big an issue.

It's very easy to attribute a lot of the lines in Sorry to other people/issues besides Slash.

Well, Axl is too smart not to be aware that if he admitted that he wrote a whole song about Slash with lines like "I'll kick your ass like I said that I would", he would look like an ass.

"Crucify The Dead" isn't about Axl either, according to Slash...

Plus if he is willing to call him a cancer I don't see saying the song is about him as that big an issue.

Well, Axl is too smart not to be aware that if he admitted that he wrote a whole song about Slash with lines like "I'll kick your ass like I said that I would", he would look like an ass.

"Crucify The Dead" isn't about Axl either, according to Slash...

The exact quote Ozzy gave was that he wrote it about Guns N' Roses, the band, not Axl. So the whole Slash vs Axl war that it spawned it a bit silly in the end.

2 shit songs by people that should know better.

LP

Hahahaha that made me laugh. I agree both Slash and Axl should stop recording silly songs about each other. They come off as adolecent.

Slash didn't write a song about Axl. Like he's gonna ask Ozzy to sing on the record and then tell one of his heroes to write different lyrics...

Edited by Johnny Utah

Pretty funny how in Sorry, Axl's lyrics are "You talk too much, You say I do , difference is nobody cares about you " rofl-lol.gifrofl-lol.gifrofl-lol.gif

...And then in Crucify The Dead it has "You always have too much to say"... :D

I could never understand that part of the lyrics because, Slash is the one who's liked more by the public. He's the one in guitar hero, always the one getting praise (even if it's all bullshit), so when Axl says "nobody cares about you", it seems kind of stupid.

Maybe that part wasn't about Slash?

Sorry isn't about Slash.

Of course it is, you really think Axl would come out and say it was? He is being PC.

What else would sorry be about, do you even listen to the lyrics?

Pretty funny how in Sorry, Axl's lyrics are "You talk too much, You say I do , difference is nobody cares about you " rofl-lol.gifrofl-lol.gifrofl-lol.gif

I could never understand that part of the lyrics because, Slash is the one who's liked more by the public. He's the one in guitar hero, always the one getting praise (even if it's all bullshit), so when Axl says "nobody cares about you", it seems kind of stupid.

Sorry isn't about Slash.

Of course it is, you really think Axl would come out and say it was? He is being PC.

He was willing to call the guy a cancer, saying he wrote a song about him is small potatos compared to that, there is nothing that explosive in the lyrics to really prompt so sad little hate war, unless you post on mygnr of course.

Axl knows more people than Slash and I dare say he has fallen out with a fair few of them, that's human nature. It's easy to attribute a lot of the lyrics to other people besides Slash, except for one part.

You listen to Ozzy talk about GNR in that piece and you'd think they broke up or something. Doesn't he know they have been touring for the past 6 months and just released an album 18 months ago. Someone should clue the guy in. :rolleyes:

Sorry isn't about Slash.

He was willing to call the guy a cancer, saying he wrote a song about him is small potatos compared to that, there is nothing that explosive in the lyrics to really prompt so sad little hate war, unless you post on mygnr of course.

Axl knows more people than Slash and I dare say he has fallen out with a fair few of them, that's human nature. It's easy to attribute a lot of the lyrics to other people besides Slash, except for one part.

One part? You must not know Gnr history very well almost ever verse can be about Slash

One part? You must not know Gnr history very well almost ever verse can be about Slash

The key word being, can.

Edited by plonker88

Crucify The Dead would have been good in the early 90's ..now it seems musically irrelevant. Whereas, Sorry still feels new, although it draws from alot of classic rock influences. Slash' entire album is okay, but seems to lack direction for me, maybe it's cause there isn't just one lead singer...never been a big fan of these types of Albums.

I think Ozzy's post-Sabbath stuff has had a 90s feel even before the 90s. Crucify sounds like a song that would be on Ozmossis, which is my favourite Ozzy album. 'Sorry' is a 70s song. It's nothing new. The thing with a lot of young GNR fans (I was once like you) is they listen predominantly to GNR and GNR-member related music. You think because Axl adds some synths to a hard rock sound, it's new and modern? A band called The Tea Party started doing that in 1994. They were/are an amazing band that basically picked up where Zeppelin left off with Kashmir, and threw in some electronica. They also have really good rockers.

CD didn't impress me at all, because everything on that album sounds like 70s, 80s and 90s music with protools plugins. It was terribly produced. There are audible track cuts, badly mixed overdubs... it was a disaster. I have over 10,000 albums in my collection, and I think I have to say, CD was probably one of the worst mastering disasters. (Probably not Axl's fault)

Slash's CD, has a cohesive sound, despite the changing singers. I wasn't a fan of the production on VR's albums, but Slash's is great I find. At least it speaks to my ears. I've never really said it on these boards before because I'm supposed to be a huge Slash fan, but Snakepit wasn't really my thing aside from two or three songs of 5 o'clock and VR was semi-exciting, but I literally cannot stop listening to the new cd. It's brilliant and has concretely proven to me that Slash doesn't need Axl.

I am older than you are...so I don't think you should lump me into this group. I did not like Ozmossis when it came out, I thought it was cheezy and over the top... The beauty about CD is that it does in fact take those various decades of music, incorporates it into what is/was the gnr sound...which IMO was very classic rock. I am not saying Slash's album sucks btw, I am just pointing out that Crucify is an old sounding song. much like you pointed out from the Ozmossis album. Tea Party was nothing like what CD sounds like either... we definitely aren't hearing the same thing.

The key word being, can.

True, but my point is just because Axl claimed sorry is not about Slash does not make it true.

He would never admit that it was, just incase there is ever a reunion.

That is why he didnt say who or what the song was about.

My other point is, there is more than just one lyric in that song that points to the song could be about slash.

The key word being, can.

True, but my point is just because Axl claimed sorry is not about Slash does not make it true.

He would never admit that it was, just incase there is ever a reunion.

That is why he didnt say who or what the song was about.

My other point is, there is more than just one lyric in that song that points to the song could be about slash.

Like I said there is one lyric I can't see not being about Slash "Just shut up and sing" but that's based on the 5% of Axl's personal life that we are aware of.

Calling the guy a cancer did a lot more damage to the reunion than Sorry could, plus I doubt Axl gives a fuck about damaging the chance of a reunion.

I think it's a song that hits many different levels and people, if you break up the lyrics into their different parts it gives the impression they wern't written all in one go and just little parts picked up over the years. Slash is a part of that which is why Axl can say it's not about him because overall it's not.

Sorry is an amazingly emotional and brilliant song. It speaks towards Slash (and others possibly) from a human standpoint. Crucify The Dead is basically from one bandmember to another, it's all about the band, not the personal relationships, or it's simply about how personal relationships ruined the band. Either way, CTD is basically the same shit 'fans' have been throwing at Axl for years.

And to say that Ozzy wrote the lyrics to CTD is complete absurdity. It has been stated by almost every individual that has worked with Ozzy that he does not write any lyrics, simply vocal melodies. Ozzy, like Slash, is a mainstream whore and product. In the 80s, people wrote tracks from Ozzy building him up to be this dark invidivual, now they write for him as a misunderstood family man (reality tv Ozzy). Either way, it's just imagery being sold to 12 year olds.

Considering that the lyrics to CTD are so poorly constructed I could see how this could be Ozzy's very first attempt, however I am tempted to believe that Slash wrote this song same as on Snakepit. Slash probably knows he's out for good, is pissed, but doesn't want to say this is his track in order to not further agitate the already unreparable situation. CTD was supposed to be the first single, but got in the way of Ozzy's new release. Once again, imagery sells, and no doubt Slash wanted a good anti-Axl track for press. He's been living off the GNR name for years. And why would Ozzy go along with this? Both he and other members of his clan have derided the current state of GNR before and he is friends with Slash and his family.

Sorry isn't about Slash.

Is everything a contest? Are you counting Facebook friends as a means to keep score? Or are you just counting current and former members of GnR as Axl's friends?

Sorry isn't about Slash.

Is everything a contest? Are you counting Facebook friends as a means to keep score? Or are you just counting current and former members of GnR as Axl's friends?

You have fallen victim to my bad grammer, what I meant is Axl knows more people than just Slash and has more enemies than just Slash, apologies for the confusion.