Sorry and Crucify the Dead

Megan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think great frontmen are pretty rare so Axl prob would have made it anyway, with just about any band.

Guitarists seem to be less well known even in famous bands.

There are some guitarists that are more well known than lead singers.

Jimi Hendrix, Slash spring to mind.

To the average joe in the street, I'd say Slash is more recognizable than the current Axl Rose.

You might have a point, with Slash and Axl being equal. Page is a little more famous than Plant? Noel more than Liam? Keef more than Mick? Nirvana...Kurt was both?

But when you lists bands

Doors...Morrison

Sabbath...Ozzy

Queen...Mercury

Clash...Strummer

Pistols...Rotten

NIN...Reznor

I think someone like Mercury, Elton or Axl, their talent is too great to be ignored. Same with Hendrix.

Just think guitarists can get lost in the shuffle, with the media focusing on the singer at first.

For example, I know Cornell, Vedder, Stanley, Weilland.

Can't name the guitarists. Cattrell? Shepard?

Edited by wasted

I think great frontmen are pretty rare so Axl prob would have made it anyway, with just about any band.

To the average joe in the street, I'd say Slash is more recognizable than the current Axl Rose.

You might have a point, with Slash and Axl being equal. Page is a little more famous than Plant? Noel more than Liam? Keef more than Mick? Nirvana...Kurt was both?

But when you lists bands

Doors...Morrison

Sabbath...Ozzy

Queen...Mercury

Clash...Strummer

Pistols...Rotten

NIN...Reznor

I think someone like Mercury, Elton or Axl, their talent is too great to be ignored. Same with Hendrix.

Just think guitarists can get lost in the shuffle, with the media focusing on the singer at first.

Who is Stanley?

But when you lists bands

Doors...Morrison

Sabbath...Ozzy

Queen...Mercury

Clash...Strummer

Pistols...Rotten

NIN...Reznor

Who is Stanley?

I'm thinking he meant Staley. Layne Staley.

But when you lists bands

Doors...Morrison

Sabbath...Ozzy

Queen...Mercury

Clash...Strummer

Pistols...Rotten

NIN...Reznor

Who is Stanley?

typo, sorry.

stil think guitarist are fucked without a singer careerwise. they'll just be soloing on an amp in an empty venue. the singer makes that connection, they have to have that magnetism you can't buy or learn. As long as the guitarist can play it's fine. Look at Screaming Trees, Lanegan and those fat dudes, those guys aren't going to hauling in the chicks.

But when you lists bands

Doors...Morrison

Sabbath...Ozzy

Queen...Mercury

Clash...Strummer

Pistols...Rotten

NIN...Reznor

Who is Stanley?

typo, sorry.

stil think guitarist are fucked without a singer careerwise. they'll just be soloing on an amp in an empty venue. the singer makes that connection, they have to have that magnetism you can't buy or learn. As long as the guitarist can play it's fine. Look at Screaming Trees, Lanegan and those fat dudes, those guys aren't going to hauling in the chicks.

I know, I was just being a smartass.

In all fairness, I don't think the Seattle scene was about getting the chicks. It was about the music and to some extent the drugs. Sure the Tress struck out with the ladies but they hit home run after homerun with the drugs.

It doesn't matter if you have a great sing and/or a great guitarist if your songs are shit. That's what makes the connection.

But when you lists bands

Doors...Morrison

Sabbath...Ozzy

Queen...Mercury

Clash...Strummer

Pistols...Rotten

NIN...Reznor

Who is Stanley?

typo, sorry.

I know, I was just being a smartass.

In all fairness, I don't think the Seattle scene was about getting the chicks. It was about the music and to some extent the drugs. Sure the Tress struck out with the ladies but they hit home run after homerun with the drugs.

It doesn't matter if you have a great sing and/or a great guitarist if your songs are shit. That's what makes the connection.

I think I was using chicks as an ironic euphemism, but I see what you mean. Not sure if I buy they didn't get into for the chicks though, they have to be lying.

Just think the Trees music without Lanegan would have been fine, but probably not going anywhere. Even good songs without a charismatic singer doesn't = success. If success is just great music then fine.

Like why weren't Trees as big as Pearl Jam? Way better in my opinion. Probably cos Vedder connected with more people, Lanegan a bit too dark for mainstream, but he had enough to have semi-successful solo career. Whereas the other guys probably didn't do much else? Maybe I'm spinning the facts to suit my stance, just seems obvious to me.

Big Star also come to mind, no really frontman, great band as good as Beatles or Stones, but nada. Some band just have a singer with generic music and become huge, not going to name, names.