Is anyone else stuck inside Chinese Democracy

wasted

Guest gunns5

I love what Axl said about what he was going for in Catcher. How its like watching tv but fading in and out of sleep/conciousness whilst watching it. Almost like you cant distinguish between reality and whats a dream, almost as if he sees himself as being the crazy one and enjoying it at the same time.

Talk about a self indulgent song, but it works. :thumbsup:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love what Axl said about what he was going for in Catcher. How its like watching tv but fading in and out of sleep/conciousness whilst watching it. Almost like you cant distinguish between reality and whats a dream, almost as if he sees himself as being the crazy one and enjoying it at the same time.

Talk about a self indulgent song, but it works. :thumbsup:

That explains the fuzzy or haziness of the song, it seems sort of disorientated or otherworldly.

It's kind of like a method actor playing a role and enjoying being Travis Bickle or R. P McMurphy. It's even stranger if you think of it as Axl playing Holden Caulfield Syndrome suffer and getting into that. It's a bizarre almost surreal take on the subject matter.

I find it hard to not think of it as just Axl singing about the fans (young people) and the media/record label (old people), just like his struggle. Some media sources just thought it was Axl identifying with Holden Caulfield. To enjoy the first verses, then have the tribute to Lennon, that's also a bit like a Chinese Democracy.

Actually I think it casts the listener unwittingly in the role of a crazy person.

Edited by wasted

Yes. Every album I've listened to since (either old or new) while giving me a refreshing change and an initial buzz has got boring almost immediately after the first listen. Chinese Democracy has set new standards for me. Maybe there is subliminal messages through shredding guitars.

Yeah, i agree, i've don't usually get many albums, but CD has been in heavy rotation since the 22nd of november 2008 since it arrived.

I do sometimes get an album, such as re-listening to The Darkness, Aerosmith, getting into the Ramones, the Clash, even Bumble's album (Normal) but they've had maybe 1 month of straight listening, but i dont get the urge to listen to them that much anymore, where as chinese is always on in the morning while i'm getting dressed, in the car on the way to school, when i feel like shit (Scraped) when i feel great (Scraped) haha and its just a great album.

If everyone's out of the house, its always my first choice as to which album to blast at 30 and Shacklers/Better/Chinese completely kick ass on full volume!!

Perhaps the reason i really lve this album is because its the only album i've grew up waiting for, i'm 16, so in fairness there hasnt been many great albums, but generally i've gone backwards to the old classics, but with chinese, i've waited for 4 years for it, and its almost like 'my coming of age'' album.

Why Scraped should be a single.

Hadn't thought of this Catcher as some kind of 'coming of age' song.

Its funny/kinda stupid, but there's a lot of emotions that i have to imagine where Axl's coming from on the album, but sometimes when i'm listening to the songs, I want to feel those emotions,

Its like, i want to be heartbroken (This I Love) and i want become motivated to do something worthwhile with that feeling (Better) and I want to foil someones plan (Riad :rofl-lol: )

Weird I know B)

Edited by Shackler

Yes. Every album I've listened to since (either old or new) while giving me a refreshing change and an initial buzz has got boring almost immediately after the first listen. Chinese Democracy has set new standards for me. Maybe there is subliminal messages through shredding guitars.

Yeah, i agree, i've don't usually get many albums, but CD has been in heavy rotation since the 22nd of november 2008 since it arrived.

I do sometimes get an album, such as re-listening to The Darkness, Aerosmith, getting into the Ramones, the Clash, even Bumble's album (Normal) but they've had maybe 1 month of straight listening, but i dont get the urge to listen to them that much anymore, where as chinese is always on in the morning while i'm getting dressed, in the car on the way to school, when i feel like shit (Scraped) when i feel great (Scraped) haha and its just a great album.

If everyone's out of the house, its always my first choice as to which album to blast at 30 and Shacklers/Better/Chinese completely kick ass on full volume!!

Perhaps the reason i really lve this album is because its the only album i've grew up waiting for, i'm 16, so in fairness there hasnt been many great albums, but generally i've gone backwards to the old classics, but with chinese, i've waited for 4 years for it, and its almost like 'my coming of age'' album.

Its funny/kinda stupid, but there's a lot of emotions that i have to imagine where Axl's coming from on the album, but sometimes when i'm listening to the songs, I want to feel those emotions,

Its like, i want to be heartbroken (This I Love) and i want become motivated to do something worthwhile with that feeling (Better) and I want to foil someones plan (Riad :rofl-lol: )

Weird I know B)

That's interesting. Ian Curtis was said to write lyrics about what was going to happen, like in a controlling way. I'm not sure if I want to feel as bad as This I Love. But I'm almost jealous of someone who could. It's enjoyable in a voyeuristic way.

Guest gunns5

and If The World always puts me in a trance -like state,

its as if Axl is content within himself about the world ending 'no theres nothing more to say' kinda like how hes seen what life is all about and if it ends, then so be it. He was able to taste it and he is content with just letting everything 'slip away'...

I always picture the chorus of the song to the movie 'i am legend' where, in the opening scene Will smith is just driving through the city really fast in that sports car, and he is the only one alive( well, so he thought), and he is just speeding not really caring about what happens to him...

Kinda like a reckless contentment within himself that borderlines on a constant anger at the world ending or in at least, the world ending in his mind. (or could it be a metaphor, for 'my world is ending' like something bad has affected him personally and he sees theres no escape) .. I could go on but ill get RSI :tongue2:

Edited by gunns5

Weird I know B)

That's interesting. Ian Curtis was said to write lyrics about what was going to happen, like in a controlling way. I'm not sure if I want to feel as bad as This I Love. But I'm almost jealous of someone who could. It's enjoyable in a voyeuristic way.

Ha, yeah, like i suppose TIL has alos affected me morally, I mean, I used to go out with anyone if they were good-looking/fuinny etc.

But now, there has to be a *click* and I have to get THAT feeling with them, although you could put that down to maturity, this album has helped me mature and my views on love etc, as a result, are about the only thing i'm properly proud of of myself.

When I listen to anything else other than CD I don't feel satisfied and immeadiately go back to CD again.

It contains so many elements from other bands but with better songs, a better vocalist, with all these layers, awesome solos. The little conbos of TWAT/Catcher, Scraped/Riad, the runs from Madagascar to Prostitute, from CD to SOD.

It's like I'm trapped on some island and can't leave even if I try. It's like I'm living inside CD sometimes.

I can't be the only one?

I'm the same. Been that way since chi dem came out. I'll listen to some other stuff, then bam, chi dem is back in for a few spins (not just 1). Then the cycle repeats. Even with the new Slash album, listened to it a few times, then was like, heck, gotta listen to some chi dem. Haven't listened to the slash cd since.

and If The World always puts me in a trance -like state,

its as if Axl is content within himself about the world ending 'no theres nothing more to say' kinda like how hes seen what life is all about and if it ends, then so be it. He was able to taste it and he is content with just letting everything 'slip away'...

I always picture the chorus of the song to the movie 'i am legend' where, in the opening scene Will smith is just driving through the city really fast in that sports car, and he is the only one alive( well, so he thought), and he is just speeding not really caring about what happens to him...

Kinda like a reckless contentment within himself that borderlines on a constant anger at the world ending or in at least, the world ending in his mind. (or could it be a metaphor, for 'my world is ending' like something bad has affected him personally and he sees theres no escape) .. I could go on but ill get RSI :tongue2:

To me it's like accepting what we have here on earth is a fantasy, but in some ways it's Axl next real love song after SCOM. I don't want to mention the O word, but it's really the A is A love song where Sweet Child is more a one way ticket to the unknown, Nov Rain is more unrequited love.

There's actually a long history of songs about the end of the world in rock. ITW is in good company.

Weird I know B)

Ha, yeah, like i suppose TIL has alos affected me morally, I mean, I used to go out with anyone if they were good-looking/fuinny etc.

But now, there has to be a *click* and I have to get THAT feeling with them, although you could put that down to maturity, this album has helped me mature and my views on love etc, as a result, are about the only thing i'm properly proud of of myself.

There's that quote that the only true love is unrequited. That's how I see Nov Rain, Don't Cry, SCOM, some how romantically doomed love.

Whereas This I Love, ITW are more like real love exists but it hurts.

This I Love makes NR seem like a walk in the park.

When I listen to anything else other than CD I don't feel satisfied and immeadiately go back to CD again.

It contains so many elements from other bands but with better songs, a better vocalist, with all these layers, awesome solos. The little conbos of TWAT/Catcher, Scraped/Riad, the runs from Madagascar to Prostitute, from CD to SOD.

It's like I'm trapped on some island and can't leave even if I try. It's like I'm living inside CD sometimes.

I can't be the only one?

I'm the same. Been that way since chi dem came out. I'll listen to some other stuff, then bam, chi dem is back in for a few spins (not just 1). Then the cycle repeats. Even with the new Slash album, listened to it a few times, then was like, heck, gotta listen to some chi dem. Haven't listened to the slash cd since.

CD seems to be all about the music, listening to the music, it doesnt seem to have a lifestyle attached to it.

It's maybe a unique record for my generation, normally we'd go back to past for records like this, that have gained a mythology, or have been important records, like Highway 61 Revisted, Sgt Peppers, Dark Side of the Moon and those records deliver something above and beyond just the flavor of month this year. Something where risks were taken, time was taken to make something special. Not necessarily a album solely about being bombed out of your mind on drugs and how hard that lifestyle is, but they are really strong songs which have been put together in a way that's makes it very enjoyable to listen over and over. hard to explain really.

I think maybe the sharp way it's done which at first maybe a bit peircing, or the complexity/layers do fall away to reveal very good songs. Even Better that I thought was just a simple tune, there's something deeper in the lyrics, it has a similar structure to early GNR songs with multiple parts but sort of miss that cos it's a different genre or blend. The solos are such fun on the album, I don't know who did what really, but so much variety/invention, and you always find something different, they said that about Dylan songs, I think it applies to CD, a lyric or guitar part, something new each time. So many perspectives are colliding you can't really pin it down, it shifts about. on Shackler's I hear double talking jive, Rob Zombie, Korn, some kind of Columbine vibe, there's this Shackler b-movie character, Axl's rebel without a cause thing, King for a Day era Faith No More, that drum sound, that insane solo, some crazy disco beat. It's seems to make sense but not sure of it's meaning. And it still kicks ass. It's such a fast almost throw way song but it's so epic at the same time, how did they do that. It's like a Primus song on 20 mill budget.

Chinese Democracy is probably the strangest album in the world for me due to the fact that I feel really drawn to it. As the original poster mentioned, it has everything you would want from a solid album. The odd thing is I've never owned another album that I listen to, or have listened to, as much as Chinese Democracy. The anticipation probably has much to do with it, but I also feel that it's because of the fact that the songwriting is top notch and it contains everything I would have hoped for from an album in this genre.

After reading this thread I decided to pour myself a glass of whiskey, put CD on the home stereo and play it LOUD

What a great album it is. Listening to Catcher right now. People complain about the mix but listening to it on my big, old school stereo it sounds phenomenal. It has a real warm sound with each layer of sound nicely defined. The outro is magic.

Listening to Sorry right now. Listening to this album on a nice home stereo, with the real CD, is a must. So many of the intricacies are just lost listening to it in the car or on MP3.

CD is definitely one of the most impressive albums vocally I've ever heard. Some people complain that all the overdubs, compression, etc. takes away from the rawness but this wasn't supposed to be a raw album. And I simply disagree with anyone who says this album was poorly produced or mastered.

Listening to Sorry right now. Listening to this album on a nice home stereo, with the real CD, is a must. So many of the intricacies are just lost listening to it in the car or on MP3.

CD is definitely one of the most impressive albums vocally I've ever heard. Some people complain that all the overdubs, compression, etc. takes away from the rawness but this wasn't supposed to be a raw album. And I simply disagree with anyone who says this album was poorly produced or mastered.

CD definitely grows on you the more you listen to it, everything fits into place.

from today's listen

realized that Catcher is like the bridge from UYI to CD like YCBM was from AFD to UYI.

also, the vocals weave in with the music, I compare it to Back in Black where first you have a clear riff, then a clear vocal. CD is simultaneous.

the difference bwteen IRS, the demo or live version and the album version is that on the album you are listening to all the little bits and pieces, the drums at the beginning, the various solos, and vocals - all at the same time. Whereas live it's basically a wall of noise and the vocals you follow.

Madagascar - the reason why it works so well is that the lyrics are really inspiring but the vocal is very forlorn, the listener mybe can identify with the vocal or hear that the author is under duress, so the will to struggle seems more epic.

I feel like There Was A Time is the piece that the album is build around. Like everything would fall apart if it wasn't for this song in the 'center' of the album. It's so indulgent but I think that's one of the things that makes it so honest, as Axl is a man who could have had almost

anything he wanted and he wanted to give to someone everything, but it wasn't enough or made possible for him. It's a tragedy song in a dark, yet hopeful album.

Listening to Chinese Democracy I now think that every song is really connected to the other. Every song has a part. Some songs are more important than others and maybe Catcher In The Rye is the most complicated piece in the album, lyrically and emotionaly always straying from a constant point of view.Axl reveals a lot of opinions and imagines what others think and feel. Really interesting.

Musically, the intricate web of little licks,riffs, chord progressions and solos are what I consider the real 'trap' for me... very moody and spastic lines from Robin and the sublime language of Bucket just takes you into what Axl wants you to experience. Can't wait for part 2.

Edited by Rovim

I never appreciated the lyrics and delivery of I.R.S still a few days ago. It's from the booklet so some parts are wrong but this part in particular is fucking stellar:

Wouldn’t be the first time I been wrong

Wouldn’t be the last

I’m sure I’ve known

With all the rumors I could tell

Somethings didn’t work so well

Well anyway it feels the same

As when you first told me you were gone

So long ago but I still held on

Through all the motions the love and

the sex

And that’s the truth an here’s the

worst yet

Would it even mattered the

things that I’d say

You made your mind up and gone anyway

And there’s no use now in draggin’

and this part:

I bet you think I’m doin’ this all for my

health

I shoulda looked again babe at somebody

else

Feelin’ like I’m done way more than wrong

Feelin’ like I’m livin’ inside of this song

Feelin’ like I’m just too tired to care

Feelin’ like I done more than my share

Could it be the way I’ve carried on

Like a broken record for so long

And I do

Ooh ooh

It's almost like Axl is semi-rapping and how his voice sits between his high pitched level and his rasp is sexual.

This topic should be pinned by the way.

Edited by plonker88

I feel like There Was A Time is the piece that the album is build around. Like everything would fall apart if it wasn't for this song in the 'center' of the album. It's so indulgent but I think that's one of the things that makes it so honest, as Axl is a man who could have had almost

anything he wanted and he wanted to give to someone everything, but it wasn't enough or made possible for him. It's a tragedy song in a dark, yet hopeful album.

Listening to Chinese Democracy I now think that every song is really connected to the other. Every song has a part. Some songs are more important than others and maybe Catcher In The Rye is the most complicated piece in the album, lyrically and emotionaly always straying from a constant point of view.Axl reveals a lot of opinions and imagines what others think and feel. Really interesting.

Musically, the intricate web of little licks,riffs, chord progressions and solos are what I consider the real 'trap' for me... very moody and spastic lines from Robin and the sublime language of Bucket just takes you into what Axl wants you to experience. Can't wait for part 2.

I see Catcher/TWAT as the heart of the record. TWAT is the ultimate "over it" song, a lot of the songs seem to have similar theme, like looking at same situation from different angles. That's what holds it together no matter the changes of style. Kind of sophisticated Fuck You songs. Catcher is the more philosophical side that runs through CD. Objective truth favored over subjective indulgence. Or the contradiction inherent in both. It's like the artist must know both worlds to beable to do a song like this. It's the solos on TWAT which are right at the centre, the highlight of the album for me. Catcher shows how they are doing a UYI type song but on the next level, it's not just "parts" it's become one, a lot like Scraped.

. And I simply disagree with anyone who says this album was poorly produced or mastered.

+ 1 million

The sound of CD is phenomenal

some think that becaue parts were added that it must be taped together, but given technology and the way recording is done I think you could add/take away parts forever still sound great if production/mix great. Sounds great to me. Axl's vocals are part of the fabric rather than just up front. Maybe on first listen it doesn't have same impact but long term it's hypnotic, like DJ Shadow albums, or UNKLE albums in a way.