Is anyone else stuck inside Chinese Democracy

wasted

. And I simply disagree with anyone who says this album was poorly produced or mastered.

+ 1 million

The sound of CD is phenomenal

some think that becaue parts were added that it must be taped together, but given technology and the way recording is done I think you could add/take away parts forever still sound great if production/mix great. Sounds great to me. Axl's vocals are part of the fabric rather than just up front. Maybe on first listen it doesn't have same impact but long term it's hypnotic, like DJ Shadow albums, or UNKLE albums in a way.

The mastering is not the problem, it was the mixing. Like you said you can tell where all the parts were cut and pasted together, that is a bad thing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. And I simply disagree with anyone who says this album was poorly produced or mastered.

+ 1 million

some think that becaue parts were added that it must be taped together, but given technology and the way recording is done I think you could add/take away parts forever still sound great if production/mix great. Sounds great to me. Axl's vocals are part of the fabric rather than just up front. Maybe on first listen it doesn't have same impact but long term it's hypnotic, like DJ Shadow albums, or UNKLE albums in a way.

The mastering is not the problem, it was the mixing. Like you said you can tell where all the parts were cut and pasted together, that is a bad thing.

There's only one part on the whole album where I notice that.

In "Better":

"It'd be enough, but just my luck, I fell in love and maybe" *cut* "All that I wanted was..."

Other than that I haven't noticed any.

Since walking out of Best Buy with my copy of Chinese Democracy, I feel more 'stuck with' than I do 'stuck in' Chinese Democracy.

And who's fault is that...Mr. "I don't know how to use the internet and listen to music before I purchase it"?

+ 1 million

In "Better":

"It'd be enough, but just my luck, I fell in love and maybe" *cut* "All that I wanted was..."

Then you are not listening very well, there are a ton, and I have pointed out some before.

The mixing on CD was very bad. You can really tell how all the vocals are cut and pasted together on scraped, esp one a few lines you can tell two different vocal tracks were just pasted together.

That is one of the worst culprets.

Edited by gnr-dave

+ 1 million

In "Better":

To me that's on purpose, that's like a NIN song, or like a fuel injected turbo Suzuki bike on a Toyko freeway. That's kicking into the next gear of the song, there's a jump cut but it's meant, it's not bad editing. Like before the first vocal of Better, it pauses, then boom. It's like that Stroke song where it stops mid song for a sec then kicks back in?

Since walking out of Best Buy with my copy of Chinese Democracy, I feel more 'stuck with' than I do 'stuck in' Chinese Democracy.

Just listen to it more, it takes 10-20 listens to really appreciate it, all the songs grow on you. Only Chi Dem and ITW are really instant.

Every post you write is more venom and more ignorance you show. You're really the most pathetic being I've ever seen on a forum. "Oh yeah sure I can tell you where the parts were cut and pasted together". You don't know horse shit. I bet you're listening to cd's on your computer.

To properly enjoy this album, you need a great stereo installation. The mixing suddenly becomes fantastic. WAAA...

Catcher is something special on a stereo, it's on continuous glide control, all the parts just flow together, with the lyrics just rolling on and on. Perfect for summer afternoons passed out on a beach with a massive jagermeister hangover.

I still give Shackler's, Better and CD an occasional listen. TWAT and ITW are great songs.

The second half of the album is a serious chore, dominated by plodding, maudlin, boring ballads. The rockers that should spark some life between those songs (Scraped, Rhiad, IRS) are just weaksauce.

When I start at Scraped it works pretty well. Side 2 seems like it's moving away from pure rage to some kind of acceptance, but thesong structures aren't as GNR to me, songs taking more risks.

Just put it on for the first time in two or three months.

On The Blues now (yeeeah that's what it should've been called) and I love it so far. Well I absolutely loved the album on first listen but the songs sound more fresh and vibrant to me now, I think I overlistened once it came out.

ONLY MEMOOOORIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Edited by Demon Wolf

Just put it on for the first time in two or three months.

On The Blues now (yeeeah that's what it should've been called) and I love it so far. Well I absolutely loved the album on first listen but the songs sound more fresh and vibrant to me now, I think I overlistened once it came out.

ONLY MEMOOOORIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Agreed, it hits you like a train made out of fireworks if you don't listen to it for a while.

Chi Dem does it for me, like Teen Spirit did or Hell's Bells, everytime I think this time it's going to be same old, same old, but each time that riff makes me want to break stuff, then Axl's first line kills me, the authority of it, Ron's rhythmn, the solos spiralling off, it basically makes me play airguitar against my better judgement. and it would take a lot more hate than you to stop the fascination!

One of the most awesome parts from me is on Prostitute, the crashing solo, the whole somg just winds its way to that point, where everything is unleashed, then it's reeled back in. I wish I could see that live or in a video, where everything is off the hook for that moment.

I keep finding cool parts on this album that I hadn't noticed before. For example, I was listening to I.R.S. (which I have listened to at least 70 times) and I just noticed a cool Buckethead part that I didn't pick up on before. It's during the part "...through all the motions the love and the sex, that's the truth and here's the worst yet..." you can kind of hear Buckethead's guitar slightly in the backround but it just sounds so cool. The whole song is great, but it was just another part that made me appreciate it even more.

Also, I just got it, but nice Bob Dylan reference in the title and subtitle...

Edited by Casual

IRS on the record is different than demo/live, there's a lot going on, some of the guitar work in the back ground is awesome, incendiary guitar solos. I have to say the solo at the beginning always makes me smile.

The structure of it is pretty interesting, it's like a fireball, a bit like Scraped. I'm not sure if this structure comes from hip hop or where but it's very direct. It's the interplay between the vocals and all that's going on in the back ground. CD is like a Dylan album in that way there's always something new. There's some acoustic guitar on there was well, or is that Ron's fretless?