Axl in New York, Michael Monroe Will Be in New York Soon...

kyrie

Well this might start some rumours, but Axl we know is in New York, and Michael Monroe (Hanoi Rocks, with a new band now) is going to be in New York for the first time in a decade at the start of May. Think he has some gigs - May 6th and May 9th. The show on the 6th is John Varvatos' private gig thing.

Given Monroe has been on two GN'R albums and Hanoi Rocks was a huge influence on GN'R, and given Axl is apparently old friends with him... think we might see a guest spot?

If anyone's going to the gig(s), keep your eyes peeled ;)

I know Monroe just called him a "true rocker", but I also read an interview not so long ago when he had some not so nice things to say about Axl...

Monroe about Axl:

I Haven't heard anything like that.

By the way in 5th of June in Helsinklive! Michael Monroe and Guns N' Roses are going to play at the same festival.. Ain't it fun?

Edited by makketue

Only know a handful of Hanoi tunes but I know he's got Ginger Wildheart in his band now so there will be some tasty guitar playing for those who see them live.

They had some changes in line-up.

I was doing few weeks ago newspaper article of them. Line-up was: Monroe, Ginger, Sam Yaffa, Steve Conte and Karl Rosqvist.

It was Top5 show in last few years to me. It was great to see Ginger in action without him doing lead vocals. He is amazing rocker, and of course Michael as well.

Here is one photo of Michael and Sam what I put to the article.

20100413-254852.jpg

Never really liked Hanoi or anything Mike put out. He's still stuck in the 80's musically and otherwise.

And I never really understood what Axl or the others saw in his music that was so special. Maybe there was something there 30 years ago and you can hear influences from Hanoi in AFD, or more like influences of the 80's. But that's it.

But hey, if Axl likes the chap, then why not, do a duet or some stuff.

I agree with you. I`ve never understood what was so great about Hanoi.

Perharps the fact that they embodied everything GN'R aspired to be back in 1986?

Perhaps, dunno

Axl's 87 look was obviously inspired by Monroe, and it's likely he lifted the "Welcome to the Jungle" line from a Hanoi Rocks song called Underwater World. GNR also used one of Hanoi's earlier ballads as the basis for Don't Cry, but I can't remember the title — the riff is almost identical. There's also early pictures of their drummer, Razzle, wearing top hats..

They would have been massive had they started in LA, but by the time they got to the states, bands like Motley Crue had already taken their image and popularized it..

-Kickingthehabit

Perharps the fact that they embodied everything GN'R aspired to be back in 1986?

Perhaps, dunno

Axl's 87 look was obviously inspired by Monroe, and it's likely he lifted the "Welcome to the Jungle" line from a Hanoi Rocks song called Underwater World. GNR also used one of Hanoi's earlier ballads as the basis for Don't Cry, but I can't remember the title — the riff is almost identical. There's also early pictures of their drummer, Razzle, wearing top hats..

They would have been massive had they started in LA, but by the time they got to the states, bands like Motley Crue had already taken their image and popularized it..

-Kickingthehabit

ok. cool :thumbsup:

Kosonen and all the other guys who don't "get" Hanoi...you should at least check out their album "Two Steps from the Move" . In my honest opinion, it's one of the greatest albums by a Finnish band ever. You can listen to it on Spotify if you have an account. But if you don't have, just find another way. It's good. It's really good. Give it a chance.

Kosonen and all the other guys who don't "get" Hanoi...you should at least check out their album "Two Steps from the Move" . In my honest opinion, it's one of the greatest albums by a Finnish band ever. You can listen to it on Spotify if you have an account. But if you don't have, just find another way. It's good. It's really good. Give it a chance.

And I recommend to check out Demolition 23's album, it is pretty amazing and not so wellknown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_23

• 3 months later...

In this summer Michael Monroe performed in Guns N'Roses show in Helsinki and also with Slash at Ruisrock in Turku, Finland.

Michael didn't play with Gn'R did he? He was at the same festival though.

But Slash was a different thing..here's some youtube material from that appearance: