Coheed and Cambria "Year of the black rainbow"

bt88

So who else is into Coheed? I know there are other threads on them but Im specifically looking to discuss the new album. So far Im two songs in and digging it. The ex Dillinger drummer clearly makes a difference. It seems a little more metal influenced so far. For big time C and C fans, where does this rate in the entire catalog? I dont follow the story either so I dont care about any of that.

Took a week to sink in but the more I listen to it the more I love it, Chris Pennie really brings a new dimension to their sound with his drumming and electronic programming which is exactly what I was looking forward to most with this album. So many stand out tracks, I wouldn't say its their best work but its up there with Second Stage and No World For Tomorrow for sure. I kinda hate the way the guitars are mixed sometimes, but thats the only complaint I can think of.

Ill be seeing them with Circa Survive in a few weeks, should be a kickass show

Edited by sweetness

Massively disappointed in it. Anyone who's read my posts on here knows I'm one of Coheed's biggest fans and champions, but honestly YOTBR did nothing for me. Well, no, there were three songs which did it for me, The Broken, Here We Are Juggernaut and Made Out Of Nothing. Pearl of the stars was okay as well, apart from that it just seemed to be claudio's vocals over a wall of generic, distorted noise. It had none of the catchy, memorable, singable melodies I've come to associate as being so important to Coheed's sound. Listen to Devil In Jersey City, Neverender, The Velourium Camper I: Faint Of Hearts, Blood Red Summer, The Willing Well II: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness, The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court, Gravemakers and Gunslingers etc... Everything off their first four albums, or if not then certainly IKSOSE, and Good Apollo I & II was pretty much pure gold and really memorable, but not this record. I miss Josh Eppard.

Guest deleted_19765

Massively disappointed in it. Anyone who's read my posts on here knows I'm one of Coheed's biggest fans and champions, but honestly YOTBR did nothing for me. Well, no, there were three songs which did it for me, The Broken, Here We Are Juggernaut and Made Out Of Nothing. Pearl of the stars was okay as well, apart from that it just seemed to be claudio's vocals over a wall of generic, distorted noise. It had none of the catchy, memorable, singable melodies I've come to associate as being so important to Coheed's sound. Listen to Devil In Jersey City, Neverender, The Velourium Camper I: Faint Of Hearts, Blood Red Summer, The Willing Well II: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness, The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court, Gravemakers and Gunslingers etc... Everything off their first four albums, or if not then certainly IKSOSE, and Good Apollo I & II was pretty much pure gold and really memorable, but not this record. I miss Josh Eppard.

Wow, I really disagree. I think this was the best Coheed And Cambria album yet, literally. Its the most streamlined, perfectly executed version of what they are. Listening to this album, the last two seem like wild, somewhat inconsistent trips all over the place. I don't love them any less for that, but this is a better album as a whole. And with it they also reconnected with the sound of their early work in a fresh and responsible way. I've said it before, this is the closest album to Second Stage since Second Stage.

And, Chris Pennie is THE drummer in CoCa as far as I'm concerned.

Wow, I really disagree. I think this was the best Coheed And Cambria album yet, literally. Its the most streamlined, perfectly executed version of what they are. Listening to this album, the last two seem like wild, somewhat inconsistent trips all over the place. I don't love them any less for that, but this is a better album as a whole. And with it they also reconnected with the sound of their early work in a fresh and responsible way. I've said it before, this is the closest album to Second Stage since Second Stage.

IMO Second Stage was their weakest and least consistent album before this one came out, so maybe that has something to do with the fact I dislike this one. I was really into the style of In Keeping Secrets and both Good Apollo albums though, I thought they were the best albums released last decade. As for drummers, i felt Josh Eppard had a far better groove to him, his ability to play triplets on the bass drum etc. was exceptional and he always gave it 100% live, I get that Pennie's a better musician, but he doesn't fit Coheed in the way that Eppard (or Even Hawkins whose drums for Feathers were an absolute work of rhythmic beauty) did. You can see that on tracks like "Guns Of Summer", I mean, what is going on there? It's a sonic mess, it's not even remotely pleasant to listen to.

Also, Pennie uses double bass drumming, Eppard hated that shit, believed that a good tight single bass drum kept the rhythm much better and that's why stuff like In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3 had such a rhythmic kick to it, all those little staccato phrases. You'd've thought he'd at least have had a little bit of respect for the guy he was replacing and refrained from doing that.

Guest deleted_19765

Well, I think that Second Stage is their best album, maybe excepting this one. So it seems that we look for something different in the 'Heed. I really love Eppard, I always have and I always will, but Pennie is just right. And remember, he still wrote the parts for No World For Tomorrow.

I've seen this band twice. Once they opened for Slipknot and the other time was a radio sponsored festival type gig. They just sounded like a really bad heavier version of Rush to me. They had 1 song I liked, and the rest was, eh, rubbish. Luckily, at the festival gig they played last so we left after about 6 songs. So, what is the big deal about these guys? I guess I just don't "get it".

Edited by tat2d1

IMO Second Stage was their weakest and least consistent album before this one came out, so maybe that has something to do with the fact I dislike this one. I was really into the style of In Keeping Secrets and both Good Apollo albums though, I thought they were the best albums released last decade. As for drummers, i felt Josh Eppard had a far better groove to him, his ability to play triplets on the bass drum etc. was exceptional and he always gave it 100% live, I get that Pennie's a better musician, but he doesn't fit Coheed in the way that Eppard (or Even Hawkins whose drums for Feathers were an absolute work of rhythmic beauty) did. You can see that on tracks like "Guns Of Summer", I mean, what is going on there? It's a sonic mess, it's not even remotely pleasant to listen to.

Also, Pennie uses double bass drumming, Eppard hated that shit, believed that a good tight single bass drum kept the rhythm much better and that's why stuff like In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth 3 had such a rhythmic kick to it, all those little staccato phrases. You'd've thought he'd at least have had a little bit of respect for the guy he was replacing and refrained from doing that.

Agree as far as the drummer comparisons go. Pennie is too involved IMO. Coheed doesn't need a great technical drummer, they need a drummer that can groove like fuck. Watch a youtube video of Guns Of Summer drums on Rock Band, it's literally just notes, no substance.

Well, I think that Second Stage is their best album, maybe excepting this one. So it seems that we look for something different in the 'Heed. I really love Eppard, I always have and I always will, but Pennie is just right. And remember, he still wrote the parts for No World For Tomorrow.

Hmm, I think SSTB is by far their worst album. I'm just not into the sound on that album at all. Only songs I really dig on it are 33 and Junesong Provision. I'd rank the albums in this order:

In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 (By just a bit)

Year Of The Black Rainbow

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow

Second Stage Turbine Blade

Agree as far as the drummer comparisons go. Pennie is too involved IMO. Coheed doesn't need a great technical drummer, they need a drummer that can groove like fuck. Watch a youtube video of Guns Of Summer drums on Rock Band, it's literally just notes, no substance.

are you fucking kidding me dude? thats your argument? Guns of Summer isn't exactly a "groovy" song, I'll give you that, but it certainly isn't just a bunch of bullshit. Considering his background I'm surprised he wasn't more technical on this album, but you can't expect him to just ditch his specialty. I'm pretty sure they had something in mind when they called up the drummer from Dillinger Escape Plan, a lot of people including myself went "huh?" but this album makes it clear. I think they executed it perfectly

This Shattered Symphony, World of Lines, Here We are Juggernaut, The Broken, The Black Rainbow all have tasty fucking grooves, the man certainly has a great feel. But I get why people get put off by technical show offy drummers, I just think Pennie is an exception. Shit, the man covered an Aphex Twin song note for note, he knows rhythm

Edited by sweetness

are you fucking kidding me dude? thats your argument? Guns of Summer isn't exactly a "groovy" song, I'll give you that, but it certainly isn't just a bunch of bullshit. Considering his background I'm surprised he wasn't more technical on this album, but you can't expect him to just ditch his specialty. I'm pretty sure they had something in mind when they called up the drummer from Dillinger Escape Plan, a lot of people including myself went "huh?" but this album makes it clear. I think they executed it perfectly

This Shattered Symphony, World of Lines, Here We are Juggernaut, The Broken, The Black Rainbow all have tasty fucking grooves, the man certainly has a great feel. But I get why people get put off by technical show offy drummers, I just think Pennie is an exception. Shit, the man covered an Aphex Twin song note for note, he knows rhythm

Don't get me wrong, I still dig GOS, I'm just not a fan of the drumming on it. The only song on the album I really don't care for is Pearl Of The Stars.

Guest deleted_19765

Are we all talking about the same album that starts with:

Time Consumer

Devil in Jersey City

Everything Evil

Delirium Trigger

and ends with:

Junesong Provision

Neverender

Godsend Conspirator

?

To me these are all among the best songs ever by CoCa. Have you heard them do "Time Consumer" on this tour? The middle of the album is not quite as excellent, but its all good when you are along for the ride. I think the melodies were the best on this album and its always had some kind of magic to it that hasn't been touched again.

Are we all talking about the same album that starts with:

Time Consumer

Devil in Jersey City

Everything Evil

Delirium Trigger

and ends with:

Junesong Provision

Neverender

Godsend Conspirator

?

To me these are all among the best songs ever by CoCa. Have you heard them do "Time Consumer" on this tour? The middle of the album is not quite as excellent, but its all good when you are along for the ride. I think the melodies were the best on this album and its always had some kind of magic to it that hasn't been touched again.

I honestly can hardly listen to this album. I just find it so bland. I'm not really sure what exactly I don't like about it. I want to like the album, I just can't get into it.