Fucking Suits

ITW 2012

Why is the record company making things so difficult for Axl? They got their money back from Best Buy. I don't understand why they can't help Axl release and/or promote the music. The man still makes the best rock music out there and these clowns do nothing to help him. My theory is that they don't want him to do well because it'll make all the shit they normally peddle look bad.

Edited by ITW 2012

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still have any doubts that the record companies are stupid, greedy, evil and shortsighted - read this.

For more than 80 years, radio and the recording industry have enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship: free play for free promotion. And it works. It’s a relationship that has sustained businesses on both sides.

In fact, radio’s free promotion of artists translates to as much as $2.4 billion annually in music sales for record labels and artists. And this doesn’t even include the enormous revenues they receive from concerts and merchandising.

But the labels–like many businesses–are struggling in this economy. They have failed to adapt to the digital age, and find their business model is broken. And now they want to impose a fee called a performance tax on local radio stations to subsidize their losses.

A performance tax would threaten the local radio stations that communities depend on. It would financially hamstring stations, stifle new artists and harm the listening public who rely on free local radio.

In short, the money generated from the performance tax would flow out of your community and into the pockets of the major record labels – and three out of the four are foreign-owned. The record labels would like for you to think this is all about compensating the artists, but in truth the record labels would get at least 50 percent of the proceeds from a tax on local radio.

Why is the record company making things so difficult for Axl?

What makes you think they are?

Jarmo's thoughts on HTGTH in their CD II release thread:

The record companies all think they run the show. When they realize they work for the artists and not the other way around, things will get better...

To be able to get Chinese Democracy out to us, there were all kinds of obstacles that needed to be cleared. I'm not sure if it's any easier to put new music out today than in 2008.

The record company didn't seem to have any idea of what they were doing in 2008. Not sure if anything has changed....

The record companies all think they run the show. When they realize they work for the artists and not the other way around, things will get better...

To be able to get Chinese Democracy out to us, there were all kinds of obstacles that needed to be cleared. I'm not sure if it's any easier to put new music out today than in 2008.

The record company didn't seem to have any idea of what they were doing in 2008. Not sure if anything has changed....

True, nothing has changed in that regard.

Guest Apollo

Blame anyone but Axl, okay? This is brilliant.

Or be a clown who blames Axl for everything. Slash, duff and Izzy have moved on. Maybe you should as well. You've got velvet revolver and a slash solo album - be happy. Or you could whine and cry about the name of axl's band - which he in fact OWNS.

Or be a clown who blames Axl for everything. Slash, duff and Izzy have moved on. Maybe you should as well. You've got velvet revolver and a slash solo album - be happy. Or you could whine and cry about the name of axl's band - which he in fact OWNS.

Stay focused. I'd appreciate it if we could direct all our anger and frustration towards the record company.

Edited by ITW 2012

Stay focused. I'd appreciate it if we could direct all our anger and frustration towards the record company.

Can't tell for sure if we're supposed to or not, but :rofl-lol:

Have faith guys, they managed to get the first one out so they obviously found some sort of understanding.

The understanding was a truck full of money delivered by Azoff.

The record companies are basically slave masters. It's no wonder that there's so many pirates out there.

Edited by ITW 2012

I don't see why they wouldn't want another album, the last one sold well, outside America at least and, assuming the second one is done, it may well cost them bugger to finish it all of such as manufacturing and promotion. They are garunted a big profit considering the bill for the 1st album is paid off.

Randy might have a point if Guns N' Roses was an obscure band about to release its first album, but it's not. How many years did those nasty executives let Axl tinker away with a near limitless budget? And how many label-heads do you know offer a $1 million bonus just for its artist to hand in a finished recording? From what we know, Axl also had full creative control— Chinese Democracy is exactly what he wanted it to be; it's a "true Guns N' Roses album." Jimmy Iovine wasn't demanding he return to the studio to record Welcome Back to the Jungle because he didn't see a hit single. Everything from the solo in This I Love to the weird "I don't want to do it" line in Sorry is exactly as it was intended— just like Axl told us. That kind of freedom is unheard of. How about Rolling Stone offering him the cover and an exclusive interview? He turned it all down and shot himself in the foot..

Axl won't play the media game because he doesn't want to be confronted by obvious topics, and he's terrified of having another embarrassing incident like the VMAs, which he admitted was a complete disaster..

-Kickingthehabit

Lets face it NuGnR does not have the star power in todays market that the AFD band had so Axl will not be cut the same slack to do as he wants without record company scutiny and interference...Record companies are in business to make money and after waiting as long as they did for CD I doubt they are going to give Axl a free hand and unlimited budget on the next release especially since CD was not the huge seller they expected............

As someone mentioned Axl likes to do things his way in his timeframe...I am not defending the record company suits but if he wants to have a big record companies backing him has to play the game as it is their money he is working with.......................If he does not want to compromise his principles and work with the suits he might have to do what Slash did and finance and promote the music himself...or find a more accomodating record label willing to give him what he wants...

I think they cut him quite a lot of slack, $13 million plus slack.

Jarmo's opinion on record companies is irrelevant. He is a nobody.

The guy has been with GNR all throughout this tour. He definitely knows more than any of us.

Lets face it NuGnR does not have the star power in todays market that the AFD band had so Axl will not be cut the same slack to do as he wants without record company scutiny and interference...Record companies are in business to make money and after waiting as long as they did for CD I doubt they are going to give Axl a free hand and unlimited budget on the next release especially since CD was not the huge seller they expected............

As someone mentioned Axl likes to do things his way in his timeframe...I am not defending the record company suits but if he wants to have a big record companies backing him has to play the game as it is their money he is working with.......................If he does not want to compromise his principles and work with the suits he might have to do what Slash did and finance and promote the music himself...or find a more accomodating record label willing to give him what he wants...

I think they cut him quite a lot of slack, $13 million plus slack.

It's true he received $13,000,000 from the label. What is often glossed over is the fact that the executives who gave him $10,000,000 of that money were fired after Interscope took over Geffen and installed their own people to run the company. So the idea that he had the full support of the label is flawed when the people who gave him the greenlight and most of the money were gone well before any form of the album was ready for release.

Also, the only reason they gave him "unlimited" time is (supposedly) because he had it written into his contract when GNR renegotiated with Geffen that the band had to give approval for the label to release any new material.

It is pretty evident that the label did not give a shit about promoting CD in the US. They cashed their Best Buy check and pushed one single and that was it. Any promotion the album received was from Best Buy and it was almost exclusively prior to the album's release. The label did do some promotion internationally but in the US they did nothing to support the album and, to be fair, they had no real reason to. Whether CD sold 1 copy or 1.5 million they were making the same amount on US sales until the Best Buy deal expired

Stupid thread.

When guns does anything........has never been up to the record company.

everyone on this board, at the very least, should know and agree upon that.

Maybe in the past but do you really beleive Axl still has that type of power with the record company these days after what they went through with ChiDem?? It is not 1991 and GnR is not the biggest band in the world anymore..........

Yeah the record company is really the reason, that at the height of almost any musicians popularity ever, save Micheal Jackson, and when cd sales where peaking year after year, that Guns n Roses took a 15 year break.

**Sarcasm**

Edited by SunnyDRE

Uh.. I think multiple million dollar incentives, advances, years of blocked out studio time at top quality establishments, 94-2006 before the plug was pulled… your crazy if you think it was the record company holding up CD or any other release… if axl n company gives them a product they will release it but I doubt axl will ever see a dime from the record company EVER again.

The best buy deal repaid what axl owed them but CD didn't exactly make them money nor should we expect any subsequent releases to sell more or even as much as CD… Axl clearly has no desire to do interviews or video etc and that is fine. GNR are what they are and I'm fine with that.