Is Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal a Prodigy?

TheFormerSoul

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still rank this as one of the all time great live moments of Guns N' Roses.

I'm not trolling just to push certain buttons, I honestly feel this way.

So let me get this straight. Out of all the great GNR moments: WTTJ MTV Video Awards, Civil War Farm Aid, Knockin on Heaven's Door from the Ritz, Freddie Mercury tribute concert, Chicago live Coma, Axl and Izzy performing Salt of the Earth with the Rolling Stones etc., this interpretation of Slash's guitar solo by Bumblefoot is one of all-time greatest live GNR moments. That is incredible, but if that is really the case I am happy for you.

Yes, it is, to me, ONE of the great GNR moments. That in no way takes away from any of the other moments you have mentioned regardless of how much you would like to think that was my motive for posting this. Just to balance things out, Paradise City from Mercury tribute concert is, to me, one of the greatest performances of all time.

Edited by plonker88

You cant be serious and BHs nighttrain solo is way better than that.

BH made the solo BETTER. Ron is just wanking there and its not even that good.

Its laughable you would even claim that is one of the greatest all time members.

You have zero credibility claiming something like that. LOL

That doesnt even come close to BHs solo for NT

Edited by gnr-dave

Its laughable you would even claim that is one of the greatest all time members.

Don't get out much do you?

You are the one who doesnt get out much with this outlandish claim.

Yeah best gnr moment ever. You just proved yourself. No need to say more. I finally understand what is going on with you.

You are the one who doesnt get out much with this outlandish claim.

Yeah best gnr moment ever. You just proved yourself. No need to say more. I finally understand what is going on with you.

So that's a no?

And BH isnt wanking in that solo? Its pretty much the same thing.

And to make the claim that a guitarist plays with no soul is ludicrous in itself. EVERY guitarist puts something of himself into a solo, therefore every guitarist puts a bit of soul into a solo. Just because it doesnt have massive bends in it does not mean it is not soulful.

Of course that is the reason why. They dont understand simple logic.

BH is THE guy Axl wants everyone else is plan B, C D or what ever.

They think if Axl really wanted BH back they would not have auditioned anyone then when BH didnt come back (which is what happened) they would have been empty handed.

Axl is always trying to get BH back, anyone who doesnt think otherwise doesnt know jack about this band.

Actually, Axl wanted Joe Satriani and was relieved when BH left the band so he could focus on Joe. Joe had other irons in the fire and couldn't take the gig, recommending BBF. Axl took the recommendation seriously but primarily to keep that tie with Joe just in case. But if Axl could get Joe, it would be Joe all the way. Anyone who knows Axl knows this.

From the same source that gnr-dave uses.

Edited by Orsys

Agreed. Ron kicked the arse out of that solo, even better than Boston '02 and that solo takes some beating.

And to make the claim that a guitarist plays with no soul is ludicrous in itself. EVERY guitarist puts something of himself into a solo, therefore every guitarist puts a bit of soul into a solo. Just because it doesnt have massive bends in it does not mean it is not soulful.

No BH actually has melody to it, Ron is just wanking and is all over the place.

He just tries to play a millions notes a second and it sounds like crap. He has zero feeling in his songs with gnr.

Cold and heartless. That is why Ron is not a prodigy. He is just a techincally skilled guitar player who can only play fast.

He doesnt make you feel the notes like slash and BH always did. Ron was a terrible choice for this band.

Its really too bad Axl is stuck with him

Edited by gnr-dave

He just tries to play a millions notes a second and it sounds like crap. He has zero feeling in his songs with gnr.

Cold and heartless. That is why Ron is not a prodigy. He is just a techincally skilled guitar player who can only play fast.

He doesnt make you feel the notes like slash and BH always did. Ron was a terrible choice for this band.

:shrugs: Sounds to me like Bumble's has melody. Like i said earlier, BH butchered a lot of solos by trying to "wank" his guitar IMO. In essence they are the same player. In fairness, neither of them fit the songs like Slash did but that is obvious to be fair, but that being said, Bumble is much better on this tour at Slash's work than he was in 2006 and plays BH's note for note.

But according to your logic i guess that makes me an idiot.

Edited by hendo123456789

hey, its called an opinion, and it is a different one than you hold. It has nothing to do with credibility.

we get it. you are very unhappy with everything Guns N Roses at the present time.

learn to accept that others will have different tastes than you. thats all it is.

i've suggested this to you before, and i'm going to suggest it again, take a break from the internet.

You are a hypocrite. BH does exactly what you're saying about Ron. In Guns N' Roses, Bumblefoot is just better than Buckethead, this Nightrain solo by BH has absolutely no soul, it loses all its power, he hits shreds like fuck but the sound is pretty bland in my opinion, I absolutely don't enjoy it, while Bumble combines speed and blues. Bumblefoot's solo on Nightrain HANDS down.

You are a hypocrite. BH does exactly what you're saying about Ron. In Guns N' Roses, Bumblefoot is just better than Buckethead, this Nightrain solo by BH has absolutely no soul, it loses all its power, he hits shreds like fuck but the sound is pretty bland in my opinion, I absolutely don't enjoy it, while Bumble combines speed and blues. Bumblefoot's solo on Nightrain HANDS down.

I think we can all agree that Slash owns both of them.

As much as I hate to admit it - Ron's solo on "Scraped" is pretty sick.

That is because Ron can shread great, he cannot play melodically. Most of his shredding on CD is fine, its when he tries to play blueys stuff he faulters.

And yet again you have been proved wrong by the posts to the youtube videos a couple of pages back where Ron was playing very melodically.

No he was not, it was not very good at all the clips that have been shown.

Hell listen to his KOHD solos which are simple, he cannot even play those well.

Ron is TERRIBLE at playing anything melodically.

noise-fingers-in-ears-001.jpg

LALALALALALALA much?

One of the greatest topics of all time thanks to dave being a retard.

Let me just stop this foolish arguing by posting a few vids of Bumble.....Im a huge fan of his and have been before he was in GnR so.....

Lots of soul here too

And some funk for good measure

By the way, not taking anything away from Buckethead, he is about even with me with Bumble, but some of Buckets albums are Hit/miss while all bumbles albums are all hit. But then again Bumble only has 9 albums while Bucket has millions.

Edited by Cdlove

No he is not

Do explain.

Do you really want me to go there, I dont want to make all the Ron lovers cry again.

Here is an example.

Any prodigy should be able to play a simple soulful KOHD solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bDJ61x-28

Ron cant even do that. There is a reason why Axl took it away from him and gave it to DJ.

Ron can play superfast sure, but he cannot play clean or melodic.

That is why he is not a prodigy.

What makes him a prodigy exactly?

I tought that solo was pretty sweet.

he's progigy at tapping. there's is really few players that can play like he does on that japanese vids he did( if you've seen the vids). he's a very complete player who can do anything he wants with a guitar.that's it.

[