Green Day's AMERICAN IDIOT receives 3 Tony Nominations including BEST MUSICAL!

Subtle Signs

The-Cast-of-Broadway-s-American-Idiot-The-Musical-green-day-11048437-594-396.jpg

http://greendayauthority.com/

American Idiot nominated for 3 Tony awards

'American Idiot' has been nominated for Best Musical, Best Scenic Design (Christine Jones), and Best Lighting Design (Kevin Adams) at this year's Tony Awards. The ceremony will take place Sunday, June 13th on CBS. Check out the full list of nominees

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominees/index.html'>http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/nominees/index.html

This is what http://www.tonyawards.com/ had to say about the musical:

'American Idiot tells the exhilarating story of a new generation of young Americans as they struggle to find meaning in a post-9/11 world, in a journey borne along by songs of the band Green Day. The musical follows working-class characters from the suburbs to the city to the Middle East, as they seek redemption in a world filled with frustration. The cast of 19 is led by past Tony Award-winner John Gallagher, Jr.'

'American Idiot' has also been nominated for a couple Drama Desk awards. Director Michael Mayer is up for Outstanding Director of a Musical and orchestrator/arranger Tom Kitt is up for the Outstanding Orchestration award (he is also nominated in that category for the musical Everyday Rapture).

The full list of nominations can be viewed here.

http://www.dramadesk.com/press098.html

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Taking it to a whole new audience who may not even be familiar with Green Day is even more punk.

Eh, not exactly

Look, I hate all that punk rock elitist shit more than anybody but Green Day are in the same league as Fall Out Boy, they kinda use to be punk but NOW they're pop-punk, and thats totally different.

Taking it to a whole new audience who may not even be familiar with Green Day is even more punk.

Eh, not exactly

Look, I hate all that punk rock elitist shit more than anybody but Green Day are in the same league as Fall Out Boy, they kinda use to be punk but NOW they're pop-punk, and thats totally different.

American Idiot (the album), is something different than Fall Out Boy, imo. Closer to Bad Religion than people want to give credit.

The social and political lyrical content is apparently beyond some of our friendly "lol" posters.

Are you seriously implying that Green Day has deep or complex lyrics or anything of that sort?

Yes. How many of their 8 albums have you heard in their entirety?

More than I'd have cared to listen to (I was kinda into Green Day when I was first getting into music).

Very Punk Rock.

Actually, American Idiot the album is very punk rock. Maybe not to the elitist, holier than though punk rawkers we have on this board but if you look at the themes expressed throughout the album, then yes it is. Taking it to a whole new audience who may not even be familiar with Green Day is even more punk.

I can't wait to see this play. From the clips I have seen online, it looks amazing.

First off, why do you always feel the need to say "punk rawk"? Not bashing, just wondering.

Second, I take it "holier than thou punk rawkers" refers to people like me and zint, who hold the 80's hardcore bands in such high regard and find virtually all "punk" after 1990 to be shit. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like my musical tastes are superior or anything, but how the fuck can you even hold a band like Green Day in the same regards as bans like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, or the Dead Kennedys. The whole punk thing is worn out, the music still has a sociopolitical message behind it, but it's the same messages punk bands have been trying to get across for over 30 years.

Eh, not exactly

American Idiot (the album), is something different than Fall Out Boy, imo. Closer to Bad Religion than people want to give credit.

I think that's a fair comparison, but Bad Religion is a more extreme case IMO. Both bands started out great, and started tampering with their sound and went to hell. IMO, Bad Religion could have been the best punk band of all time, had their 90's stuff all been in the vein of How Could Hell Be Any Worse?, Suffer, and No Control.

The social and political lyrical content is apparently beyond some of our friendly "lol" posters.

Are you seriously implying that Green Day has deep or complex lyrics or anything of that sort?

More than I'd have cared to listen to (I was kinda into Green Day when I was first getting into music).

I'm talking about WARNING/ American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown not DOOKIE/Insomniac/Kerplunk.. The play is based on songs from AI and 21CB. After you have heard those albums, come back and tell me they don't deal with some serious issues. Thanks for playing, Brosef.

bunch of serious issues like growing up in the suburbs, boredom, smoking pot, being average and how depressing that is, cliche left wing political ideals? thats some edgy shit man

bunch of serious issues like growing up in the suburbs, boredom, smoking pot, being average and how depressing that is, cliche left wing political ideals? thats some edgy shit man

Yeah, they wrote about that stuff mainly in their teens/early 20's because that is what they knew about. Big deal. They have branched out since then.

I don't want to knock them too much, my brother was really into Green Day for a while so I'm familiar with their catalog and I know it isn't bad, I just can't stand people talking about them like they're this great iconic band who bridged the gap between general mainstream listeners and punk music, what a fucking joke. They can definitely write some catchy songs and work a crowd really good, but the punk they introduce to people isn't anywhere close to the punk that was defined in the mid 70's - 80's

Maybe it would be cool if they actually influenced some good bands, but dude honestly... how many pop-punk bands do you listen to other than Green Day. How many pop-punk bands COULD you listen to other than Green Day? Have you heard the bands they've influenced?

Edited by sweetness

Yeah, they wrote about that stuff mainly in their teens/early 20's because that is what they knew about. Big deal. They have branched out since then.

I don't want to knock them too much, my brother was really into Green Day for a while so I'm familiar with their catalog and I know it isn't bad, I just can't stand people talking about them like they're this great iconic band who bridged the gap between general mainstream listeners and punk music, what a fucking joke. They can definitely write some catchy songs and work a crowd really good, but the punk they introduce to people isn't anywhere close to the punk that was defined in the mid 70's - 80's

Maybe it would be cool if they actually influenced some good bands, but dude honestly... how many pop-punk bands do you listen to other than Green Day. How many pop-punk bands COULD you listen to other than Green Day? Have you heard the bands they've influenced?

Of course they were the bridge between those bands, Green Day was at the center of that movement in the mid 90's. Were it not for Green Day/Offspring/Rancid, you never would have seen teenagers walking around with mohawks and then going back to discover some of the earlier bands who influenced the ones I named. Billie Joe talked at length about the bands who influenced him. Tim from Rancid and Dexter from The Offspring started record labels and gave some of the bands they grew up on a second shot by signing them.

It doesn't matter who influenced Billy Joe Armstrong, people didn't forget about punk. 80's hardcore gave all the punk integrity dudes something to cling to well into the 90's and the older music was there for anybody to go and listen to without Green Day. A lot of kids did and still would have gotten into old punk bands with or without Brain Stew or Boulevard of Broken Dreams to get them interested in what... Dead Boys, The Stooges, Johnny Thunders? yeah right... try Blink 182, All Time Low, Sum 41 or some shit like that

Green Day castrated punk into something major record labels could market to mass audiences, truth is thats the opposite of what punk stood for when it reared it's head. Punk was about being different, anti establishment, anti pop culture, all that pissed off self indulgent crap

Edited by sweetness

Very Punk Rock.

Actually, American Idiot the album is very punk rock. Maybe not to the elitist, holier than though punk rawkers we have on this board but if you look at the themes expressed throughout the album, then yes it is. Taking it to a whole new audience who may not even be familiar with Green Day is even more punk.

I can't wait to see this play. From the clips I have seen online, it looks amazing.

First off, why do you always feel the need to say "punk rawk"? Not bashing, just wondering.

Second, I take it "holier than thou punk rawkers" refers to people like me and zint, who hold the 80's hardcore bands in such high regard and find virtually all "punk" after 1990 to be shit. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like my musical tastes are superior or anything, but how the fuck can you even hold a band like Green Day in the same regards as bans like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, or the Dead Kennedys. The whole punk thing is worn out, the music still has a sociopolitical message behind it, but it's the same messages punk bands have been trying to get across for over 30 years.

Well,considering that you were what 3 years old or barely born during the time DOOKIE was out and missed out on the early 1990's punk rock explosion, let me let you in on a few facts, Jack. GREEN DAY, more specifically the DOOKIE album (and to a lesser extent, Rancid, Bad Religion and The Offspring) were responsible for a PUNK REVIVAL that led to a second wind for many of the bands you cherish. Some of the biggest royalties of punk bands came when they were covered by Green Day/Offspring. By Billie Joe mentioning the bands that influenced him so much growing up, this led to a whole new generation of kids getting into punk.

Are you fucking serious? You're really bringing up age again? My god, you have no hope. I can't wait until Zint gets here and eats you alive....it's going to be hilarious. You'll probably run off just like last time though..

Green Day used to be a punk revival band.

Now they're closer to a The Who-style rock band (and please, I'm not saying that they're as good or anything).

I like Green Day.

The whole "Green Day is punk!" vs. "Green Day ruined punk" argument is complete useless. And just because 99% of the bands that followed them are terrible doesn't mean that they are.

Are you fucking serious? You're really bringing up age again? My god, you have no hope. I can't wait until Zint gets here and eats you alive....it's going to be hilarious. You'll probably run off just like last time though..

1) Where did I say his opinion was less valid due to his age? I was just letting him in on things he may have missed. BTW, I addressed Zint's point in another thread you may have missed, Brosef. I don't take the Internet THAT seriously to respond point by point to things that said poster couldn't possibly know as he was making points about people he will never know in real life whereas I try and stick to facts about subjects like bands rather than going off on personal attacks on people I'll never know in real life and quoting only part of their posts to try and throw in witty barbs.

2) I see that you have nothing to contribute to the thread other than "lol"

3) You can't counter my points, you have to wait for someone else to do so

4) We could argue the are they/aren't they punk when it comes to Green Day debate til we are blue in the face. Billie Joe says they are and he is a Gilman Street alumni and that works for me as he was part of the scene and not a keyboard warrior. I'll take his word over "powerage" "Jumpin Jack Flash" and "Zint" from MYGNRFORUM

Didn't Gilman Street shun Green Day, AFI and Rancid for signing major label contracts and in their view "sellout"

Very Punk Rock.

Eh, not exactly

I think that's a fair comparison, but Bad Religion is a more extreme case IMO. Both bands started out great, and started tampering with their sound and went to hell. IMO, Bad Religion could have been the best punk band of all time, had their 90's stuff all been in the vein of How Could Hell Be Any Worse?, Suffer, and No Control.

Not to change the subject, but have you heard The Process of Belief, by BR? I think its a damn solid punk album. Should have been more of a crossover sucess, imo.

If you haven't heard it, give it a listen before you completely write off the late 90's and 2000's stuff.

It doesn't matter who influenced Billy Joe Armstrong, people didn't forget about punk. 80's hardcore gave all the punk integrity dudes something to cling to well into the 90's and the older music was there for anybody to go and listen to without Green Day. A lot of kids did and still would have gotten into old punk bands with or without Brain Stew or Boulevard of Broken Dreams to get them interested in what... Dead Boys, The Stooges, Johnny Thunders? yeah right... try Blink 182, All Time Low, Sum 41 or some shit like that

Green Day castrated punk into something major record labels could market to mass audiences, truth is thats the opposite of what punk stood for when it reared it's head. Punk was about being different, anti establishment, anti pop culture, all that pissed off self indulgent crap

Wrong again ,Chief. Green Day was making the same music on Dookie as they had years prior on LOOKOUT! Records. They had complete creative control or else they wouldn't have signed to Warner Brothers. They didn't go to the mainstream, the mainstream came to them. You bet your ass kids went out and checked the bands that Billie Joe, Dexter and Tim talked about. Rancid, Green Day and The Offspring even took some of those legendary punk bands on tour and exposed them to a whole new generation of kids, So, you might not like that Green Day brought about Blink,NFG, etc. but they also turned millions onto bands that they might never have otherwise heard of. You are wacky if you think Tim Armstrong didn't bring many old-time punk bands back from the dead by wearing their shirts and talking about them in interviews. Like it or not, they may not fit the TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL/NOTHING MAINSTREAM IS PUNK RAWK bullshit attitude that some have here, but Green Day are a s punk as they come. Of course, our resident Punk RAWK gurus have yet to chime in but these are the same guys who enjoy the music of a man best known for smearing shit on himself during his live shows-GG ALLIN! UP THE TRU PUNX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like it or not thats what punk actually is though, thats why I'm not really the biggest fan of the genre, its more about attitude and appearance than actually making great music. The majority of my local music scene is all about punk, real punk, and they're all a bunch of arrogant straight edge assholes, and they all hate Green Day. There's a ton of bands like that, and I hate to say it but those are the real punk bands. If you want to see a real punk show come out to Basement 414 in Lansing, Michigan. Shows every night and they're all free, you aren't paying 80 bucks for a stadium full of kids, you're walking into this piece of shit basement down this inclined back alley in the middle of the city where you better at least have a knife on you or something. THATS punk rock

So who are all these old punk bands that went on tour with Green Day? You never mentioned their names

1) Where did I say his opinion was less valid due to his age? I was just letting him in on things he may have missed. BTW, I addressed Zint's point in another thread you may have missed, Brosef. I don't take the Internet THAT seriously to respond point by point to things that said poster couldn't possibly know as he was making points about people he will never know in real life whereas I try and stick to facts about subjects like bands rather than going off on personal attacks on people I'll never know in real life and quoting only part of their posts to try and throw in witty barbs.

Nah, you're just here to stir shit.

2) I see that you have nothing to contribute to the thread other than "lol"

I don't think I've typed "lol" in this entire thread.

3) You can't counter my points, you have to wait for someone else to do so

Why would I waste my time? And plus, it'll be a lot funnier this way.

4) We could argue the are they/aren't they punk when it comes to Green Day debate til we are blue in the face. Billie Joe says they are and he is a Gilman Street alumni and that works for me as he was part of the scene and not a keyboard warrior. I'll take his word over "powerage" "Jumpin Jack Flash" and "Zint" from MYGNRFORUM

Ah, ok. Billie Joe says they're punk?! Case-closed then! I mean, why would he lie about that, right?

I'm talking about WARNING/ American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown not DOOKIE/Insomniac/Kerplunk.. The play is based on songs from AI and 21CB. After you have heard those albums, come back and tell me they don't deal with some serious issues. Thanks for playing, Brosef.

And you're assuming I haven't listened to American Idiot, their most famous album, why?