Green Day's AMERICAN IDIOT receives 3 Tony Nominations including BEST MUSICAL!

Subtle Signs

As I have said a million times, if The Ramones are punk, so are Green Day. Why are they not? They sing fast, three chord, three minute songs about many of the same things. Is it because they sell albums? Big whoop, that doesn't change the lyrical content or the music at all.

Green Day's message reaches more people than all the bands you named combined, There isn't a single one of those bands who wouldn't have loved to be in the position Green Day/Billie Joe was in though most of them couldn't write a catchy, pop hit to save their lives.

I'm not debating whether or not they're punk; it's all opinion anyways, so what's the fucking point? I am trying to say I just don't see the same quality of music from Green Day as I do from almost any '80's hardcore bands.

And to say any of my aforementioned hardcore bands would love to have been in Green Day's position. Don't believe me? Look into the Holiday In Cambodia/Wrangler Jeans debacle.

Very Punk Rock.

Actually, American Idiot the album is very punk rock. Maybe not to the elitist, holier than though punk rawkers we have on this board but if you look at the themes expressed throughout the album, then yes it is. Taking it to a whole new audience who may not even be familiar with Green Day is even more punk.

I can't wait to see this play. From the clips I have seen online, it looks amazing.

First off, why do you always feel the need to say "punk rawk"? Not bashing, just wondering.

Second, I take it "holier than thou punk rawkers" refers to people like me and zint, who hold the 80's hardcore bands in such high regard and find virtually all "punk" after 1990 to be shit. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like my musical tastes are superior or anything, but how the fuck can you even hold a band like Green Day in the same regards as bans like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, or the Dead Kennedys. The whole punk thing is worn out, the music still has a sociopolitical message behind it, but it's the same messages punk bands have been trying to get across for over 30 years.

Taking it to a whole new audience who may not even be familiar with Green Day is even more punk.

Eh, not exactly

Look, I hate all that punk rock elitist shit more than anybody but Green Day are in the same league as Fall Out Boy, they kinda use to be punk but NOW they're pop-punk, and thats totally different.

American Idiot (the album), is something different than Fall Out Boy, imo. Closer to Bad Religion than people want to give credit.

I think that's a fair comparison, but Bad Religion is a more extreme case IMO. Both bands started out great, and started tampering with their sound and went to hell. IMO, Bad Religion could have been the best punk band of all time, had their 90's stuff all been in the vein of How Could Hell Be Any Worse?, Suffer, and No Control.

Not to change the subject, but have you heard The Process of Belief, by BR? I think its a damn solid punk album. Should have been more of a crossover sucess, imo.

If you haven't heard it, give it a listen before you completely write off the late 90's and 2000's stuff.

I've heard bits and pieces of it. Definitely not as good as the 80's albums, but I'm a fan of what I've heard so far, I'm gonna get around to checking out the rest of it. Easily the best album since Against The Grain though.