General punkrock discussion

Wando

It's obvious there's certain members who share an interest to punk music so I thought we could have a chat thread about punk/HC/garage/postpunk/etc.?!

I'm currently listening to Against The Glass EP by Slow, which zint61 mentioned in the Sid Vicious thread. Pretty solid punk with obvious hardcore influence. Not exactly my favorite though..

ps. promote your local bands/scene! I could start by mentioning The Heartburns. They sound a bit like Portlands (Oregon) Mean Jeans but were around almost ten years earlier!

I haven't listened to any punk in ages...I'm long overdue to just go fucking wild listening to Minor Threat or MDC or whatever. 80's hardcore is all we listen to while we skate, and since I'm home for the summer, I guess I'll be skating soon enough.

I'm currently listening to Against The Glass EP by Slow, which zint61 mentioned in the Sid Vicious thread. Pretty solid punk with obvious hardcore influence. Not exactly my favorite though..

Hey Wando...while I was typing that post last night I realized I never got back to you,all apologies(it's easy to get sidetracked here).

I guess we can gab about it in here.

Slow...yeah,Against the Glass not really one of my favs either...but it's a grower.The more I heard it the more I started to really appreciate it.

Where they really shined was live...like...holy shit!!! wow..just amazing.

There was a STRONG buzz about these guys,and it was based on the live show.It was similar to people coming back from the Cult show in the 80's drooling about this incredible opening band called GnR.

Same kinda "something good's brewing out there" vibe was happening.

Slow was a Vancouver band in the mid 80's,one of the place they used to go play was Seattle.

Check out this vid..

...yeah

**cough**

haha

anyhoo.. :tongue2:

It was always amusing to us to read about the history of grunge.

The reason I mentioned them in the other thread was as an example of bands that were starting to take things to other levels,to think outside the proverbial box.

Here's another video

The more you listen to them the more you realize...these guys could fucking play!

Here's another video

The more you listen to them the more you realize...these guys could fucking play!

Heh, seems like everywhere they're boasted about their live shows! cool video. The singer reminds me a bit, although solely by looks, the late Jay Reatard. Must be the curly mop!

zint you know anything about White Wires? They're from Ottawa.. They have a pretty rockin' album out. Especially the tune Girly, Girly, Girly is a must-hear. You can find it on their myspace page.

And I again stress this but some of you who have posted in this thread (besides zint)... atleast one of you must live somewhere where is a prolific scene going on?! What are the buzz bands around there?? It doesn't matter if they don't sing in English...

Wow...just mentioned the Diodes here and bam,get this news!

27717_434195420680_575825680_5816234_2321550_n.jpg

Diodes on Tour! Original 1977 line-up! Italy and Canada dates!

May. 6th, 2010

The Diodes, Canada's legendary punk pioneers, are back for their first tour in over 30 years with their original 1977 line-up of Paul Robinson (vocals), John Catto (guitars), Ian Mackay (bass) and John Hamilton (drums). They are celebrating the release of a new vinyl-only album, Time/Damage: Live 1978, a live document of their historic show at the famous El Mocambo Tavern (The Diodes were the first punk band to play the club and their concert preceded the equally legendary Elvis Costello appearance there by a few days).

Tour dates:

ITALY:

May 21 - Venice, Italy - Pop Corn Club

(with Dave Rave, Ralph Alfonso)

http://www.myspace.com/pop_corn_club

May 22 - Rome, Italy - Road to Ruins Festival

http://www.roadtoruins.it/

CANADA:

June 2 - Waterloo - Starlight

June 3 - London, Ont - Call the Office

June 4 - Toronto - The Horseshoe

June 5 - Hamilton - This Ain't Hollywood

June 19 - Burlington - Sound of Music festival

(Diodes only - opening for the New York Dolls) :shocked:

The Diodes were ground zero for punk in Canada - their early shows at the Ontario College of Art inspired a vibrant cultural revolution in Toronto that quickly became one of the major hubs of the emerging punk zeitgeist, alongside New York and London. This story has now been exhaustively documented in the book, Treat Me Like Dirt, by author Liz Worth who will be a special guest on the Ontario tour dates.

In a very special opening segment to the Ontario shows, Liz Worth will be in conversation with Ralph Alfonso (the book's publisher and Diodes/Crash'n'Burn Club manager) and joined in a lively discussion with members of the Diodes, Johnny & The G-Rays and other special guests who feature in her book (now in its third printing in just two months!). Rare 1977 Toronto punk footage will also be shown and all participants will be available to sign books and memorabilia.

"This is something unique and inspired by the success we've had with similar events Liz has done in clubs and record stores, " says publisher Ralph Alfonso. "It's a great opportunity to meet the bands and Liz and get a sense of where the first wave of punk came from."

Also on the bill on the Ontario club dates are Johnny & The G-Rays (featuring 3 original members) whose singer, John Macleod, is pictured building the Crash'n'Burn club stage in the book, Treat Me Like Dirt. Drummer Bent Rasmussen was in the original 1976 version of The Diodes and guitarist Harri Palm was in the pre-Diodes group, The Eels, with Diodes Ian Mackay and John Catto. Johnny & The G-Rays took the punk ethos into their own plane of intricate high-energy guitar rock - now remastered in a deluxe reissue of their debut album previously released on the adventurous Attic Records (where Ralph Alfonso instigated their signing).

Speaking of the punk energy that emerged out of Toronto and Hamilton, Diodes singer Paul Robinson was definitive in his afterword to Treat Me Like Dirt.

“Every once in a while, maybe in every century, a city has its moment.

And I think a lot of Toronto’s moment was between 1976 and 1980. There

was just an incredible amount of energy in Toronto. I think it was a pretty

boring place before all of us. We kind of were the instigators in terms

of changing an awful lot of the direction of the city, artistically and

musically and stylistically. People wanted Toronto to be more New York

than New York, but keep its own identity. They wanted it to be important;

they wanted it to matter. A lot of what I see in Toronto now is the product

of what we created in a five-year period of time.”

BIOS & LINKS:

The Diodes were part of the first wave of international Punk bands to surface in 1976. Their appearance supporting the Talking Heads, January 1977, at Ontario College of Art is legendary in the development of the alternative music scene in Toronto and in Canada. In their short career, the band went on to achieve many firsts, including; running Canada’s first Punk club, Crash ‘n’ Burn; the only Canadian Punk band to sign a major record deal (CBS/Epic), releasing an album in October 1977; ahead of The Sex Pistols and other spearheads of the Punk genre.

The album was released domestically in many European countries achieving a cult status in Italy, Sweden, Holland and France. The Diodes toured extensively between 1977-1981 supporting The Ramones, The Dead Boys, The Runaways, The Cramps, Ultravox, Gary Numan and U2. They headlined New York’s CBGB’S, Max’s Kansas City, Peppermint Lounge and LA’s The Whiskey A Go Go to rave reviews in The Village Voice, New York Rocker, The Trouser press, Creem, NME, Sounds and Billboard. The Diodes were also the first Canadian Punk band to chart on the Canadian Top 100.

High decibel, high energy with aggressive guitars and swirling melodic vocals…here are all the elements you will hear as the original 1977 line up of Paul Robinson (vocals), John Catto (guitar), Ian Mackay (bass) and John Hamilton (drums) embark on their first tour in 30 years, including Festival dates in Venice and Rome, Italy. A new vinyl album, Time Damage, has just been released on Rave Up Records, Italy.

The Diodes’ distinctive brand of melodic Punk is constantly sited as one of the first Power Pop bands to emerge and has had a profound influence on the music which followed in the 1990s and beyond.

.......................................................................................

I will most definitely be attending. :shades:

Holy shit! I'd love to get up to Hamilton or Toronto for one of those shows, but early June isn't good for me.

Holy shit! I'd love to get up to Hamilton or Toronto for one of those shows, but early June isn't good for me.

I don't like the Dions so much?! They sound like poor power pop and poor punk :C

I found today the Gorgons Crab Cake EP for 2€! I actually bought it only because of the labels flyers inside - their fifth realese was an A-Bones 7" + the label is French! Very good B-side of garage/surf, with the first side being pretty dull.

Edited by Wando

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...just mentioned the Diodes here and bam,get this news!

Diodes on Tour! Original 1977 line-up! Italy and Canada dates!

May. 6th, 2010

The Diodes, Canada's legendary punk pioneers, are back for their first tour in over 30 years with their original 1977 line-up of Paul Robinson (vocals), John Catto (guitars), Ian Mackay (bass) and John Hamilton (drums). They are celebrating the release of a new vinyl-only album, Time/Damage: Live 1978, a live document of their historic show at the famous El Mocambo Tavern (The Diodes were the first punk band to play the club and their concert preceded the equally legendary Elvis Costello appearance there by a few days).

Tour dates:

ITALY:

May 21 - Venice, Italy - Pop Corn Club

http://www.myspace.com/pop_corn_club

May 22 - Rome, Italy - Road to Ruins Festival

http://www.roadtoruins.it/

CANADA:

June 2 - Waterloo - Starlight

June 3 - London, Ont - Call the Office

June 4 - Toronto - The Horseshoe

June 5 - Hamilton - This Ain't Hollywood

June 19 - Burlington - Sound of Music festival

(Diodes only - opening for the New York Dolls) :shocked:

The Diodes were ground zero for punk in Canada - their early shows at the Ontario College of Art inspired a vibrant cultural revolution in Toronto that quickly became one of the major hubs of the emerging punk zeitgeist, alongside New York and London. This story has now been exhaustively documented in the book, Treat Me Like Dirt, by author Liz Worth who will be a special guest on the Ontario tour dates.

In a very special opening segment to the Ontario shows, Liz Worth will be in conversation with Ralph Alfonso (the book's publisher and Diodes/Crash'n'Burn Club manager) and joined in a lively discussion with members of the Diodes, Johnny & The G-Rays and other special guests who feature in her book (now in its third printing in just two months!). Rare 1977 Toronto punk footage will also be shown and all participants will be available to sign books and memorabilia.

"This is something unique and inspired by the success we've had with similar events Liz has done in clubs and record stores, " says publisher Ralph Alfonso. "It's a great opportunity to meet the bands and Liz and get a sense of where the first wave of punk came from."

Also on the bill on the Ontario club dates are Johnny & The G-Rays (featuring 3 original members) whose singer, John Macleod, is pictured building the Crash'n'Burn club stage in the book, Treat Me Like Dirt. Drummer Bent Rasmussen was in the original 1976 version of The Diodes and guitarist Harri Palm was in the pre-Diodes group, The Eels, with Diodes Ian Mackay and John Catto. Johnny & The G-Rays took the punk ethos into their own plane of intricate high-energy guitar rock - now remastered in a deluxe reissue of their debut album previously released on the adventurous Attic Records (where Ralph Alfonso instigated their signing).

Speaking of the punk energy that emerged out of Toronto and Hamilton, Diodes singer Paul Robinson was definitive in his afterword to Treat Me Like Dirt.

“Every once in a while, maybe in every century, a city has its moment.

And I think a lot of Toronto’s moment was between 1976 and 1980. There

was just an incredible amount of energy in Toronto. I think it was a pretty

boring place before all of us. We kind of were the instigators in terms

of changing an awful lot of the direction of the city, artistically and

musically and stylistically. People wanted Toronto to be more New York

than New York, but keep its own identity. They wanted it to be important;

they wanted it to matter. A lot of what I see in Toronto now is the product

of what we created in a five-year period of time.”

BIOS & LINKS:

The Diodes were part of the first wave of international Punk bands to surface in 1976. Their appearance supporting the Talking Heads, January 1977, at Ontario College of Art is legendary in the development of the alternative music scene in Toronto and in Canada. In their short career, the band went on to achieve many firsts, including; running Canada’s first Punk club, Crash ‘n’ Burn; the only Canadian Punk band to sign a major record deal (CBS/Epic), releasing an album in October 1977; ahead of The Sex Pistols and other spearheads of the Punk genre.

The album was released domestically in many European countries achieving a cult status in Italy, Sweden, Holland and France. The Diodes toured extensively between 1977-1981 supporting The Ramones, The Dead Boys, The Runaways, The Cramps, Ultravox, Gary Numan and U2. They headlined New York’s CBGB’S, Max’s Kansas City, Peppermint Lounge and LA’s The Whiskey A Go Go to rave reviews in The Village Voice, New York Rocker, The Trouser press, Creem, NME, Sounds and Billboard. The Diodes were also the first Canadian Punk band to chart on the Canadian Top 100.

High decibel, high energy with aggressive guitars and swirling melodic vocals…here are all the elements you will hear as the original 1977 line up of Paul Robinson (vocals), John Catto (guitar), Ian Mackay (bass) and John Hamilton (drums) embark on their first tour in 30 years, including Festival dates in Venice and Rome, Italy. A new vinyl album, Time Damage, has just been released on Rave Up Records, Italy.

The Diodes’ distinctive brand of melodic Punk is constantly sited as one of the first Power Pop bands to emerge and has had a profound influence on the music which followed in the 1990s and beyond.

.......................................................................................

I will most definitely be attending. :shades:

Got my tickets!

And I'll definitely be buying a copy of that new vinyl only album...Time Damage/Live at the El Mocambo '78

Gonna be just fucking great!! B)

Footage of the Viletones at the Masonic Temple 1977..

Watch that clip right to the end.

That's what I keep trying to explain on here.

There was always somebody just waitin' to sink a big meaty fist into the side of your face.

On the streets,on stage,in stores,in bars,on buses,at schools,everywhere.

...always

You walked the streets home at 1 in the morning after a gig,you took the chance of a right shit kicking.

That was part of what punk rock stood for,you lived that danger and you lived it proud.

Standing up for your individuality meant something.

Life wasn't a sing songy Broadway fuckin' musical.

• 2 weeks later...

Life wasn't a sing songy Broadway fuckin' musical.

:lol: Great post, Zint. Yet I still find people telling me that Blink-18something is "omfg punk rock"

Awesome cover of this classic by this Post-Punk/Art Punk band...if you're into that sort of thing :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUjX3-YbIo&feature=relatedfeature=player_embedded

From a fuckin' INSANE gig!!!!

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Flash

So, which Hüsker Dü album should I get? I was listening to a few of their songs a while ago, but never ended up getting an album. I'm thinking between New Day Rising or Zen Arcade right now. Anybody who likes them wanna give me a recommendation?

Zen Arcade is a great place to start. But, Flip Your Wig is also a nice starting point. I'd go with Zen Arcade though, it's just brilliant! After either of those two, I'd get New Day Rising and continue from there.

Hüsker Dü's discography is a fantastic journey...have fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O00nr0FS7-g&feature=relatedfeature=player_embedded

If this song had ended up on NMTB...I don't think it would've ever reached the States :rofl-lol:...Legally that is :D

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of Mr. Rotten and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Jumpin' Jack Flash :tongue2:

I'm off to this gig tonight... :shades:

This was a good gig.

I was really pissed becuase I forgot my gear...was going to film a couple of songs.

I did buy a couple of their vinyl releases I needed for the collection.

It was a good show in a very VERY early scene sort of way.It was celebrated moreso that you brought something different to the table.

More sarcastic lyrics in tone than blatant anger.

Fucking cool band...but definitely NOT hardcore! :lol: