Promoting an album

Stipemanblue

Touring is essential to selling an album you've released. As we who live in America have seen, GN'R has been playing a lot of dates in a lot of places around the world. Europe is next and who knows, maybe Axl and company will do a tour of the U.S. Touring is the major factor on how to sell an album but what really generates buzz is.......... doing interviews. It's a way to promote. Not everyone is a die hard GN'R fan. Some people are casual fans. Maybe WTTJ is the only reason some people will go to a GNR show. The bottom line is in the touring department Axl is doing everything right.

Courtney Love just mentioned Axl on Howard Stern so I'll use her as an example. Her album just came out I think last week. She hit every major show. The View. Jimmy Kimmel, Letterman. She also got on the cover of SPIN magazine and did an interview.

I watched the Tokyo concert dvd's a few nights ago and couldn't help but understand what Axl is probably thinking. "How at this point in my career can I go out and convince people on talk shows if I haven't convinced them already?"

MY OPINION as to what GNR should do is pretty simple. Nearing the end of the Europe tour, they should make an announcement that the follow up sequel to Chinese Democracy will be out in two months. Along with that announcement they should release a U.S. schedule of tour dates. The week the follow up to Chinese D. is released, Axl and the boys should hit every talk show possible. Three major late night shows would be enough. The "Good Morning America" Grenade cover is the best possible album cover and it would also answer the question as to what was in the bike basket.

"Ask yourself what I would do to prostitute myself."

Well, that's what I would do.

In terms of interviews I reckon we will get the same as before, one main stream publication where Axl decides on what he gets asked and a Del James exlcusive. To be honest I don't give a fuck who he does it with as long as he does some.

Why is so hard to understand that Axl doesn`t like the press ??? MAN, IT'S HIS ALBUM. WE SHOULD JUST LISTEN AND SUPPORT IF WE WANT. If he doesn't want to promote, fuck him and everyone who don't like. Are we clear ?

Edited by marlon_brando15

Why is so hard to understand that Axl doesn`t like the press ??? MAN, IT'S HIS ALBUM. WE SHOULD JUST LISTEN AND SUPPORT IF WE WANT. If he doesn't want to promote, fuck him and everyone who don't like. Are we clear ?

Maybe you don't LIKE working at McDonalds, but you still get up every morning and start flipping those burgers. What a childish response to a suggestion.

I think it's pretty obvious that Axl isn't a big fan of the press, so I doubt any more albums will be heavily promoted.

Axl gave Kurt Loder some really great interviews before UYI came out. There wouldn't be anything cooler than seeing Axl on a late night talk show while Letterman holds up a copy of an album cover with a grenade on it!

Maybe you don't LIKE working at McDonalds, but you still get up every morning and start flipping those burgers. What a childish response to a suggestion.

I think it's pretty obvious that Axl isn't a big fan of the press, so I doubt any more albums will be heavily promoted.

Axl gave Kurt Loder some really great interviews before UYI came out. There wouldn't be anything cooler than seeing Axl on a late night talk show while Letterman holds up a copy of an album cover with a grenade on it!

but if you hate flipping the burgers... but still flipped the shit out of them 15 years ago, in fact, you flipped them so well that you became the owner of McDonalds for a few years and made enough $$$ to never work again...

then you started going to McDonalds again today but you don't really have to flip the burgers... you just got a solid office job that doesn't make as much as flipping the burgers. you wouldn't go flipping the burgers just for the extra cash would you now?

but if you hate flipping the burgers... but still flipped the shit out of them 15 years ago, in fact, you flipped them so well that you became the owner of McDonalds for a few years and made enough $$$ to never work again...

then you started going to McDonalds again today but you don't really have to flip the burgers... you just got a solid office job that doesn't make as much as flipping the burgers. you wouldn't go flipping the burgers just for the extra cash would you now?

Extra cash? Come on dude, those AFD royalties can't sustain an entire GNR staff forever. I've seen that biggest selling music artists of all time list and some of those people on it have experienced financial trouble.

Edited by Stipemanblue

Right before they announce that the new album is coming - they should do something nice for the fans.

That way - they kick off the campaign with the fans in their corner.

Instead what we'll probably get is a bunch of denials - like when the Asian dates started trickling in.

Extra cash? Come on dude, those AFD royalties can't sustain an entire GNR staff forever. I've seen that biggest selling music artists of all time list and some of those people on it have experienced financial trouble.

if Axl's in any sort of financial trouble then maybe the tour just takes care of that..?

also, I think it's ironic that you'd post the 'Prostitute' quote by the end of your original post as if that was gonna help your argument (?) :crazy:

EDIT: but believe me, I want all of that just as bad as you do... but I just can't see Axl doing them since he really doesn't seem to like it

Edited by Revolver

Right before they announce that the new album is coming - they should do something nice for the fans.

Instead what we'll probably get is a bunch of denials - like when the Asian dates started trickling in.

That's a cool idea but as a fan, for me, I think Chinese D. 2 is enough for this year.

That's a cool idea but as a fan, for me, I think Chinese D. 2 is enough for this year.

For example: Three weeks before Slash's album came out - he sent out a mass email to all his fans with a free download link for one of the songs off the upcoming album.

This was done waaay before anything leaked.

It was a cool thing to do and it also counts as promotion.

Edited by John Bonham

Albums are used to promote tours these days. I don't think I've ever bought a bands new album after seeing them on tour. It's better if you are already familiar with the album before you see them live. To sell CD II he's going to have to do some press. Going on Jimmy Fallon's show for a week might be a good idea since he's an Axl fan and would likely treat Axl with respect and not make jokes at his expense.

Like I said before friend, It's Axl's problem not ours. If he doesn't want to be successful again, we should leave him alone and respect that. It's the third thread this month talking about this shit. ENOUGH. Enjoy the music and leave the guy alone for Jesus Christ. He's doing great shows out there. I was in Sao Paulo, he's better than ever. And I'm also sure he doesn't need more money. If he did, CD would sell 10 million. You know he can do that. He just doesn't care.

Edited by marlon_brando15

And I'm also sure he doesn't need more money. If he did, CD would sell 10 million. You know he can do that. He just doesn't care.

If any of that was true (It isn't.) he'd have no quelms about putting CD2 on their myspace, with a free download link. ;)

It'd take about 5 minutes.

Edited by sofine11

To say that Axl doesn't care about money is , well, bullshit. EVERYONE cares about money to some degree, you just can't live without it. I'd bet that he cares about money enough that he wants to be able to keep that Malibu mansion, those luxury cars, private jets, etc...

A Reunion Tour would give Axl more money than all this past tours combined. I'm not saying he doesn't care about money at all, but not doing what he doesn't like just for money seems to identify Axl well.

The tours are where the money is at.

These Best Mart deals are about the best thing a cd can get money wise? to have not sold out and get that deal is crazy.

the funny thing is that even though Axl only does whatever he wants he's still selling records, going on tour, making money.

why would he change anything?

Touring is essential to selling an album you've released.

But is it really? It's not like CD has jumped up the charts or seen any kind of sales increase in any country since the tour began.

Touring is the best way for a band to make money. It really has nothing to do with selling albums anymore.

Edited by Towelie

There are a lot of ways to do viral promotion now.

For example, Axl could post a full length interview between himself and Del or whoever he wants on Youtube and it would reach more people than doing an interview with Billboard or Rolling Stone and wouldn't have to deal with anyone from the press at all

I am not sure that the traditional approach to marketing works that well anymore. Just to use a related example, for Libertad and Slash's latest album, they were on all the late night shows and did interviews with anyone they could and neither album sold that well. I am not sure what the solution is but I just don't believe the old fashioned methods really work that well. I think you have to find a way to let your older fans know you have an album coming but the key is to connect with the younger generation who still purchases the majority of music

The way you promote an album is to write a hit single that radio plays the shit out of. Everything takes care of itself from that point on.

That is not really true. Alice In Chains has had 3 big hits from their album and it still has a ways to go before hitting gold

Compare that to Tool who had zero hits but still sold 1.5 million last time their album came out

It's a different game than it used to be. Big singles don't necessarily drive album sales anymore unless you really crossover to the Top 40