Afghan Whigs

KetchupNotMayo

Oh, how I have longed for the day a thread with this title would pop up here...that I didn't have to author. ^_^

Up in It is a damn fine late 80s Sub-Pop record and Congregation is where Dulli's persona and the soul influences announce themselves, exemplifying why they didn't fit into the grunge scene.Black Love is my favorite, it's not as straightforwardly vicious and fucked up as Gentlemen, but it's every bit as brutal. 1965 is the most purely seductive record ever made by someone not named Prince. Also seek out the gorgeous Uptown Avondale EP (four highly idiosyncratic covers and a remix of Milez is Ded).

Dulli's current band The Twilight Singers have produced two records which I'd rank above the best Whigs stuff - Powder Burns and Blackberry Belle. He also has a side project with Mark Lanegan, The Gutter Twins. They released Saturnalia in 2008, which was also epically sublime.

Edited by Angelica

Oh, how I have longed for the day a thread with this title would pop up here...that I didn't have to author. ^_^

Up in It is a damn fine late 80s Sub-Pop record and Congregation is where Dulli's persona and the soul influences announce themselves, exemplifying why they didn't fit into the grunge scene.Black Love is my favorite, it's not as straightforwardly vicious and fucked up as Gentlemen, but it's every bit as brutal. 1965 is the most purely seductive record ever made by someone not named Prince. Also seek out the gorgeous Uptown Avondale EP (four highly idiosyncratic covers and a remix of Milez is Ded).

Dulli's current band The Twilight Singers have produced two records which I'd rank above the best Whigs stuff - Powder Burns and Blackberry Belle. He also has a side project with Mark Lanegan, The Gutter Twins. They released Saturnalia in 2008, which was also epically sublime.

If I was looking for a Top 10 Greg Dulli songs list......What would you put on it and why?

If I was looking for a Top 10 Greg Dulli songs list......What would you put on it and why?

When We Two Parted - Pretty much any song from Gentlemen is worthy of inclusion, I'm going with this because lyrically it's the rawest end-of-a-relationship song ever written.

Summer's Kiss - Soars so joyously, you almost don't notice how bleak it is.

Crazy, Uptown Again, 66 - the fact that Columbia didn't pimp these all over radio will mystify me till my dying day.

John the Baptist - If it's not the sexiest song ever, it's close enough so there's no point arguing about it.

Teenage Wristband/I'm Ready/Underneath the Waves/Bonnie Brae/Forty Dollars - See above, re Crazy, Uptown Again, 66.

The Killer - Just utterly beautiful.

Aside from agreeing with Angelica's post, particularly the fangirlish adoration of Black Love, Gentlemen and 1965, easily my three favourite Whighs' albums, I would also add She Loves You to the Twilight Singers album recommendations. It's comprised entirely of covers, but saying so really doesn't do any justice to how much Dulli owns every single song on that album. It's intensely sexy.

When Leksi and I are gay married, his Hyperballad cover will be featured prominently at the reception. ^_^

I'll also throw in recs for the following covers he's done which he also owns (and are intensely sexy) - Lost in the Supermarket, Mr. Superlove, Creep (TLC, not Radiohead, thank you very much), When Doves Cry, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Miss World, Hey Ya, Papa Was a Rascal, Down the Line, Beast of Burden, Live with Me, and a bunch of stuff I'm forgetting. How many artists would even dare covering songs by a list of musicians as diverse as Bjork, Prince, TLC, Hole, Jose Gonzalez, Massive Attack, Hope Sandoval, The Supremes, The Beatles, Mary J. Blige, Fleetwood Mac, Outkast, The Stones, Barry White, Al Green etc, let alone owning them? :heart: