Tell me what you think sucks about my band

so i play guitar in this band and we just recorded a few DIY demos and I'm looking for some good honest criticism on the songwriting and the overall sound of things. If you have any positive feedback by all means let me know, I just wanna emphasize what i'm really looking for; outside opinions on what totally sucks ass, things we can/should improve. its a mix of hard rock and some fast heavy dissonant shit but that only really shows in one of the songs we have up

please take the time to listen to all 3 songs and let me know what you dudes think, i'd really fuckin appreciate your feedback

www.myspace.com/croatone

Edited by sweetness

#1-You have a terrible vocalist, he needs to get better at both staying in pitch when singing and he needs a better range in screaming. Also the wanna be punk isnt working.

#2-The instrumentals are okay, but a sense of rhythm is needed since it doesnt sound like you have a bassist and if you do, turn him up.

#3-You NEED another guitarist.

#4-The drummer needs to get a bit better, his fills are a bit generic.

#5-You guys sound too generic, the breakdowns make me want to sleep, the solos are nonexistent or are not memorable.

#6-Make something memorable, the guitarist has some potential to write a good solo since the riffs are nice.

Well, thats what I think is wrong with your band. I've been playing in and out for about 15 years and know how this stuff works.

#1-You have a terrible vocalist, he needs to get better at both staying in pitch when singing and he needs a better range in screaming. Also the wanna be punk isnt working.

#2-The instrumentals are okay, but a sense of rhythm is needed since it doesnt sound like you have a bassist and if you do, turn him up.

#3-You NEED another guitarist.

#4-The drummer needs to get a bit better, his fills are a bit generic.

#5-You guys sound too generic, the breakdowns make me want to sleep, the solos are nonexistent or are not memorable.

#6-Make something memorable, the guitarist has some potential to write a good solo since the riffs are nice.

Well, thats what I think is wrong with your band. I've been playing in and out for about 15 years and know how this stuff works.

I agree with most of these as well.

1 strongly

2 somewhat

3 would be nice, but it's not necessary

4 isn't a big issue

5 can be improved with time

6 is true. You seem to be a good guitarist.

Yeah I can't argue with the vocals, I'm not particularly crazy about them but out of the people we tried out he was actually the best and most interested. I just wish he sounded meaner and less amateurish, most of the people I know willing to be honest with me would agree with you guys.

On everything else there isn't much I can say, I can only attempt to make excuses which I don't really wanna do. thank you for taking the time to make an opinion on our shit, its not easy to get what people actually think out of friends and acquaintances but people on the internet you dont know at all can be as brutally honest as they want, giving me more useful feedback. Thanks a ton

Please, if anyone has anything else to add don't be shy, I know we aren't very good but I wanna know how bad people are willing to tell me we sound, I figure there's no better way to get motivation to take the right steps to improve and not sound like generic shit. Though I still try to believe we have at least some potential haha

Thanks again

I do think the singer is the weakest link (but only when he sings 'normal') which is the main thing you cannot have in a band if you want an interested audience. If he adds a little more melody to it in a heavy rock style (think Ronnie James Dio), it would sound much better. His screamo voice is strong and has enough bottom and with training he can push it into the professional area. He needs to losen up the vocal chords though, not force it out.

The guitar playing is decent, but his tone makes him sound weaker than he plays. He needs more definition in his tone, without losing the edge. I would advice another distortion pedal, a Boss EQ in there and a delay pedal which is almost off, but makes it sound like it is instantly doubling what is played, which adds lots of meat. If let's say Dimebag had the tone of this guitarist, he would sound funny playing his Pantera riffs. Tone is everything. He has some good ideas for riffs and licks. Raw and edgy. He has the urge to keep playing faster than the drummer though.

Bass is OK, but needs more bite so he can be heard better, like a gritty edge over it. So same problem as with guitarist, work on the tone.

Drums is good at times and then bad. Sometimes the fills sound OK, but sometimes the accents are all over the place, on the wrong places. Sometimes it sounds like he is playing another song than the rest. He should listen to John Bonham to understand the link between drums and guitars. In rock, the drums should follow the guitars in detail.

Songwriting, needs more depth which can be achieved through a more dynamic arrangement. Songs do not sound like finished products. Nice breaks and variations though. Keep working on it, even when you're bored to death with it. You know yourself when parts of it need work.

Mixing, mastering: needs a wider sound, not suffocating in 1 small space. More treble and middle too. This all can be achieved by varied mic placement and panning correctly. The tones of the instruments play a big part in this too. It's too muddy, drums and bass not audible. Everything has to sound connected without losing their own space and identity.

Also, the industry is not looking for bands playing this style of music anymore, if you care about it. A band needs this unique own sound, and you can only have that if you fully believe in the capabilities of your band members individually. If you have doubts about a band member, you need to end it because it is better for everyone.

It's not as bad as some would suggest, but needs work and discipline, like everything in life.

Edited by LLL

Yeah the guitar sounds like cheap shit. I recorded this with a solid state Marshall MGHDFX head on an orange cab and the line in on the mixer was fucking up or something. I recently got my hands on a nice JCM2000 DSL that sounds waayyy better, I can't wait to record with that.

Regarding the mix, yeah, I hate it too. We just kinda bought some mic's, protools, borrowed a mixer and went to town in the basement we practice in. Bass wasn't even recorded using an amp, I'm pretty sure they just ran it through an m box. It was a pretty half ass effort, we just wanted something to sample our music, we'll actually pay for studio time and a decent producer after working the songs a bit more. Thanks for the suggestions man