Article likens Dale Earnhardt Jr. to Guns n Roses...

saber_

NASCAR GNR DALE JR CONNECTION

At the end of the 3rd paragraph is the reference.

It says: "If Dale Earnhardt Jr. were a rock band, he'd be Guns n' Roses - a Hall of Fame-level start to his career followed by a steep decline toward irrelevance."

Usually this guy is a good writer, he writes about golf and other stuff too. But in this case I just think the metaphor (analogy?) is just wrong on many different levels. And as a GNR fan it kinda irked me, because its premise is wrong.

Edited by mindsaber

Jr.'s dreaming.

The start to his is career is liken to GNR's?

Haha, when did Jr's career start?

His career is more like clear pepsi or something.

Heheh...heh...yes if we're going to get technical with the metaphor, let's clean up one of the more glaring errors of the analogies.

Dale Earnhardt Junior won two consecutive Nationwide Series1 championships in 98 and 99, in his 3nd and 4th years racing professionally . The Nationwide Series is NASCAR's second tier series. It's the minor leagues. For the purpose of the symbolism, it's like... it's like... L.A. Haha. When Guns n Roses hit the scene, it ascended to the very tippy top of the pantheon of rock n roll at the time. And I do mean the very top. That would be more akin to winning a couple Nationwide championships, AND ALSO 2 or 3 NASCAR Sprint championships2, which is by the way, suffice to say, the highest tier of oval racing.

So, in summary, Dale Earnhardt Jr never won any championships at the highest level when he was young. Guns n Roses did. If you can dig the symbolism.

1: Formerly entitled Busch series

2: Formerly entitled Nextel Cup and prior to that Winston Cup

Edited by mindsaber

Jr.'s dreaming.

The start to his is career is liken to GNR's?

Haha, when did Jr's career start?

His career is more like clear pepsi or something.

Heheh...heh...yes if we're going to get technical with the metaphor, let's clean up one of the more glaring errors of the analogies.

Dale Earnhardt Junior won two consecutive Nationwide Series1 championships in 98 and 99, in his 3nd and 4th years racing professionally . The Nationwide Series is NASCAR's second tier series. It's the minor leagues. For the purpose of the symbolism, it's like... it's like... L.A. Haha. When Guns n Roses hit the scene, it ascended to the very tippy top of the pantheon of rock n roll at the time. And I do mean the very top. That would be more akin to winning a couple Nationwide championships, AND ALSO 2 or 3 NASCAR Sprint championships2, which is by the way, suffice to say, the highest tier of oval racing.

So, in summary, Dale Earnhardt never won any championships at the highest level when he was young. Guns n Roses did. If you can dig the symbolism.

1: Formerly entitled Busch series

2: Formerly entitled Nextel Cup and prior to that Winston Cup

No doubt.

I agree with you totally.

Nationwide, for people who don't follow Nascar - is like minor league baseball. This dude has done NOTHING.

Edited by SunnyDRE