Failure to Communicate

wasted

There's a quote from Cool Hand Luke in Civil War and Madagascar, but are they the same?

I think the first one is from the prison warden and the quote in Madagascar is when Newman mocks him just before he gets shot at the end?

Axl is pretty much like Newman in this movie, he's just unbreakable, he'll pretend to play along but ultimately has to try to escape.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men."

Edited by wasted

That's one of the best movies ever! Scary thing is prison now us more modern but just as corrupt.

The quotes always sounded the same to me...

they are the same quote and madagascar is simply atonement for the one in a million song. there is/was no need to include martin luther king's quote in that song.

That's one of the best movies ever! Scary thing is prison now us more modern but just as corrupt.

The quotes always sounded the same to me...

they are the same quote and madagascar is simply atonement for the one in a million song. there is/was no need to include martin luther king's quote in that song.

I have heard this once before and cannot recall where, but where is there ANY evidence that madagascar is atonement for OIAM??? I would love that to be true but i dont see any evidence of that

Axl said at Rio it was about old band? The MLK quotes seem more about inspiration. prob is same quote but when Newman says it he mimics warden, so hard to tell. Madagascar is like Paul Newman picking himself off the floor after getting his ass kicked. both Civil War and Madagascar seem like they are about doing the right thing in impossible situation.

I see madagascar as more of a song about being blamed for everything and doing everything wrong according to a certain group of people or person. It could be related in a way to one in a million, but I dought its solely about that song. The great thing about music is you can attribute lyrics to anything you want. For one person Madagascar could be about slavery, for another person it could be about phil jackson basically being fired from the bulls in '98. I know it sounds crazy, but that is why so many people love music and look to it for healing.

Personally I think madagascar is about a relation gone sour, like I think many GNR songs are about.

I see madagascar as more of a song about being blamed for everything and doing everything wrong according to a certain group of people or person. It could be related in a way to one in a million, but I dought its solely about that song. The great thing about music is you can attribute lyrics to anything you want. For one person Madagascar could be about slavery, for another person it could be about phil jackson basically being fired from the bulls in '98. I know it sounds crazy, but that is why so many people love music and look to it for healing.

Personally I think madagascar is about a relation gone sour, like I think many GNR songs are about.

and not being brought down by that whether it's a chick or whoever, whatever. To me it's like the start of the fight back. you pick yourself up again and go back in. like Newman's character in CHL. but yeah for the listener it's subjective. If you're a total winner all the time Madagascar might not do it for you.

it's strange though cos the warden says those lines in the movie, so would Axl be identifying with the warden or Newman? I guess it's Newman, he's morally right and no matter what he won't give in, give up.

and not being brought down by that whether it's a chick or whoever, whatever. To me it's like the start of the fight back. you pick yourself up again and go back in. like Newman's character in CHL. but yeah for the listener it's subjective. If you're a total winner all the time Madagascar might not do it for you.

it's strange though cos the warden says those lines in the movie, so would Axl be identifying with the warden or Newman? I guess it's Newman, he's morally right and no matter what he won't give in, give up.

I see what you're on to, but i don't know if Axl using cool hand luke sound clips means he was trying to equate to a character somehow. Once again this is all purely opinion, but look at the lyrics of the song, then look at all sound clips used.. I think all sound clips were tied together to tell a story that has the same message as the lyrics axl wrote.

(I'm gonna tell you a story)

(Stand up for righteousness)

(what?)

(Stand up for justice)

(what?)

(Stand up for truth)

(How can a person grow up with all this around them?)

Basically saying how can a person live when their life is consumed by lies from other people

(You gotta call on that something...)

(Where does it come from?)

(...That can make a way out of no way?)

(All this hatred)

(What we've got here is...)

(Fear)

(That power that can make a way out of no way)

(Failure to communicate)

searching through all the bullshit to find the truth.. even though it might hurt you.

Its all opinion. Im kind of depressed tonight. my wife divorced me recently and finally i meet a girl that i really like and get along with great but she has a serious boyfriend. this is the time when lyrics come in handy

Chicks, can't live with them, can't kill em. so your free at last. I have you ever heard a song called Free Again by Alex Chilton? classic song.

The collage seems put together to get the message over that you can do the right thing against all the odds. I guess what I'm wondering is how "failure to communicate" fits into it, as you won't be deterred from your path or as a line you say to someone who won't listen. I guess it's the former.

Not equating to a character maybe, but identifying with the sentiments, MLK's speech is the dream (CD), admires Newman's character (Axl won't quit), MJ Fox is maybe winning isn't everything you have to it righteously (Axl is morally right). To do things this way seems to isolate the individual, hence the title Madagascar - it's an island?

after a little break i think i get your point now about it could be just Axl's personal feeling about break up, it's just when you put an epic quote collage on something it makes it seem like a manifesto or political rally or like Oliver Stone movie. That's the danger of going epic, doing romanticism, with TIL or Prostitute it's clearly personal but on a huge level. Whereas Madagascar seems to go beyond the personal to the point where it means everything.

Edited by wasted