Do you think Axl should leave the US for good?

ITW 2012

The game in the US appears to be all about a reunion. Sure, Axl can make albums, but will Universal actually release them? Shit's fucked up.

Yes, yes they undoubtedly would.

Even if your "all they want is a reunion" conspiracy is even remotely close to being correct, then they would release any and all albums Axl releases without batting an eye. In the eyes of the record executives, releasing those albums is keeping Axl happy and bringing him closer to finishing what he needed to do. Once he has done that, THEN there will be a chance for a reunion (which will still not happen regardless).

Do you think Axl should leave the US for good? The industry appears to have put up a wall around Axl and they are stifling his output with lawsuits and other ploys to try and get him to sell himself out for their financial gain. The same type of thing happened to Jimi Hendrix, and well, it happens to any artist who wants to stray from the formula that the industry believes made them successful in the first place.

I agree with all of this.

but i live in the USA, and if u live outside of the states, its not that Axl doesnt care about us USA fans or the USA fans arent as "excited" or "want" to have GNR as much as the outside the USA fans. its because of the reasons stated above.

Do you think Axl should leave the US for good? The industry appears to have put up a wall around Axl and they are stifling his output with lawsuits and other ploys to try and get him to sell himself out for their financial gain. The same type of thing happened to Jimi Hendrix, and well, it happens to any artist who wants to stray from the formula that the industry believes made them successful in the first place.

I agree with all of this.

but i live in the USA, and if u live outside of the states, its not that Axl doesnt care about us USA fans or the USA fans arent as "excited" or "want" to have GNR as much as the outside the USA fans. its because of the reasons stated above.

Again...proof? I see all of this bullshit from both sides, yet no one has any proof of anything. It's basically just opinion vs. opinion disguised as fact vs. fact.

The truth of the matter is, in the US people didn't fall for this band being Guns N Roses. It's not like AC/DC where Bon died and the band kept on going in the same direction. This band's COMPLETELY different. It's so different that it's kinda silly even calling it the same thing. People in the US see this and rejected it...plain and simple.

Until Axl reunites, GNR is finished in the US. You can quote me, copy and then later paste if you want....GNR is done in the US. If Axl want's some success without reuniting, he can still have it but not here. He doesn't have to leave the US but he needs to give up on it because it's NEVER coming back. GNR was finished in the US the day the original band broke up.

Edited by Nintari

Until Axl reunites, GNR is finished in the US. You can quote me, copy and then later paste if you want....GNR is done in the US. If Axl want's some success without reuniting, he can still have it but not here. He doesn't have to leave the US but he needs to give up on it because it's NEVER coming back. GNR was finished in the US the day the original band broke up.

nonsense. I've seen GnR 5 times during the 2002 and 2006 shows and there was no problem filling the seats.. The album has sold considerably well, all things considered. sorry to burst your bubble but you are just flat out wrong.

most people (unlike you) have an open mind and aren't stuck somewhere 15 years ago.

GNR can function without big money management and a major record label, but then it would be left in his hands, and he'd be the first to admit he's not a businessman or wants to deal with booking shows and distributing the music.

But he definitely knows licensing pays the bills, otherwise he never would've tried to get complete control of the name. At least he didn't try to argue that he wrote all the songs to get 100 percent of the publishing.

I don't think Axl is a big fan of paparazzi and gossip mags, but knows that going to events like Fashion Week is a trade-off. I also think from 1995 on, he had to relearn what it was like to be part of a crowd and not have the spotlight always on you. Fame and money can bring the best and worst out in a person, esp when drugs are involved. GNR went from a band of rogues and misfits to a HUGE machine, and he had to have felt lost at some point.

I don't know if TMZ is a good thing or a bad thing. They just pay you for a video of someone high profile, and Levin decides whether it makes it on the site or not. Levin used to teach law in Pomona and wound up being a "legal expert" on the news during the OJ trial, and wound up on People's Court. They're hoping for Axl to completely lose it and get it on video. They want more Sean Penn like tantrums so they can take them to court and get a nice payday. He knows enough to keep TMZ out of court if someone took a stalkerazzi photo, the ones where they climb up trees and get a shot of them in their backyard.

You don't get bigger than being on TMZ. Axl is back and on top of his game. The only thing the record company can take credit for is fucking up the booklet and failing to organise a US tour. Well done, they couldn't organise a terrorist strike with the taliban. Meanwhile GNR did a world tour without any backing, the fans loved the shows and then they get back to the US and all Azoff can do is sue them cos he couldn't do his job?

You guys fail to understand something here. Axl is useless to these guys because there's no money to be made. Make no mistake, be it the UK,South America or Australia, the people who hold the power only want to make money. In the US, Axl is pretty much washed up and finished. As long as he's refusing a reunion, it's over for him here.

The lack of a reunion has little to do with it, IMO, so much as the decline in rock's popularity in the states. I mean yeah a reunion would make some old fans happy, sure, but don't make it sound like the US is taking such a defiant stance against him since he won't play with Slash. At this point if he did reunite we would all know he only did it for the cash, and he's as far from a sell out as you'll find so that won't happen. I think many Axl fans, like myself, appreciate this kind of rebellious integrity.

We now know, if you read the complaint, that since a US tour would be handled by Ticketmaster and Azoff is Ticketmaster... well the reasons for no US dates are pretty clear. The last thing Axl is is washed up. He sues someone and it makes headlines on every news-net page, people here still care about and like Axl, make no mistake.

Edited by axlskAmpf

It is no conspiracy theory, Axl is being sabotaged by the (especially USA) industry for a long time, because he keeps sticking up his middle finger at them. This didn't start after the old guys left; it was already present before the release of The Spaghetti Incident album. So it has nothing to do with reunions. It is because Axl refuses to be a prostitute.

At that time he could afford doing it because they were so popular they did not need the support of the industry to be all over the place.

In the meantime they lost popularity, industry got more power and control over many more areas, rock need diminished...however Axl's attitude towards the industry did not change one bit, he keeps sticking up his middle finger at the industry.

These days, if you do not suck the ass of the industry people, do not whore yourself out voluntarily, they will shut down all doors and try to make you fail, never help you to succeed, sabotage your efforts through media and internal contacts. That is how much power and control they have. Azoff is a prime example, he has an influence in record companies, different media (where he even has family and friends working 'independently'), tickets/concerts, etc.. If they do not do what Azoff expects, it damages them.

They do this to secure their investments of course, which is not surprising. And GnR is being set as an example to all bands/musicians who would dare to go against the industry. 'If you don't do what we expect, we will do this to you'.

They rather have a band or musician they have full control over and make them do as they please, to diminish the risk of losing profit. And they need to milk it as long as possible to make more profit with the same concept. Axl is a huge risk to take because he refuses to be used as a prostitute.

This is why in the rock world of present, the musicians come across as well oiled PR machines who say/do/dress/play what the industry dictates, within the different styles of music (even classic rock has it's audience, even though it is not popular with the main stream, that needs to be promoted in a certain way with the help of the industry to make them a profit in that style of music).

A part of Rock was about sticking up your middle finger at authority and tell them to fuck off....not beg them to make you famous while you lick their balls and make them cum in your eyes while you call them daddy. Some ex-GnR members do exactly this, also 2 current GnR members try to do it behind Axl's back, to secure their careers, but the industry cuts them off because they are in GnR.

Axl refuses to. The song Prostitute is obviously about this.

This is why Axl will go the road Radiohead did, but the present obligations have to end first. Radiohead gave the biggest middle finger to the industry. They can record music the way they want, in their own time, release it the way they want, promote it the way they want, tour it the way they want and they actually earn more money with it too per album because there are less middle men.

The industry is not their boss anymore; they are the boss who at times uses some opportunistic people within the industry as their prostitute to distribute.

It is the world upside down, concerning the industry and the business model they follow.

So they don't have to sell 1 million albums to pay for the expenses of the album/promotion/salaries/etc., to call it a succes. More like 100,000 copies covered the expenses of In Rainbows is what Thom told me (even with the much lower price the buyer paid for the album). World wide the In Rainbows album sold (so excluding the free downloads, which was an option) more than 3.5 million copies to this day...

They did not top the singles charts with the singles of the In Rainbows album (in fact none of the singles where even top 20), you need the help of the industry for that, however they did not need to top the singles charts, see album sales and concert attendance. (Same for CD, didn't top the singles charts, albums sales is over 5 million now world wide, most shows sold out).

This of course only works if you already have a big enough following, which GnR still has to pull it off.

Edited by LLL

sure, he should leave if he wants, hes running out of people to blame and sue in the States anyway. I dont know how record companies differ so much in other parts of the world. I assume they have similar expectations from their artists, like making albums and promoting them. On the other hand, he likes America because he can pretty much move around and do his own thing, the general public doesnt care all that much, they leave him alone.

No he shouldn't leave.

He should just reunite the old the band.

Not happening, get over it. Or at least stop derailing every thread with this please.

I hope Axl never gives up on the U.S. GnR still has a large enough fan base to draw the crowds and sell albums.

Edited by Graveyard

No he shouldn't leave.

He should just reunite the old the band.

Not happening, get over it. Or at least stop derailing every thread with this please.

I hope Axl never gives up on the U.S. GnR still has a large enough fan base to draw the crowds and sell albums.

In 2002, almost every stadium and arena was half empty. CD barely, if at all, sold 1 million copies here. Lay off the crack pipe. You love the dude, it's obvious. You want him to "win", that's obvious as well. But don't let it delude you.

He has a career outside of the US, but the US is pretty much done with him without the original band.

Edited by Nintari