Best Axl performance ever?

CAFC Nick

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put on the Tokyo second dvd, go to Godfather Theme. After Slash is done Axl the intro to Sweet Child O Mine. That's my favorite GNR live moment (Godfather + Sail Away Sweet Sister + Bad Time). Turn it of once the SCOM riff kicks in, cuz it's a really poor performance of it.

I don't agree Axl is the greatest frontman ever, but for the fuck of it, I'd say Sailing at Wembley '06 is my favorite Axl performance.

Everyone has their opinion, but I'm just curious as to who you would have in mind?

Some people say Freddie Mercury, and I don't disagree, it's just that his singing really lacked live. Probly due to all the cigarettes he smoked...

I think that Axl is by far the best frontman ever, but Freddie Mercury is absolutely one of the best ever. Other great frontmen is; Bon Scot, Robert Plant, and Ozzy Osbourne! :)

In most of the live videos I've seen, Freddie's voice sounded great.

The guy almost refused to hit high notes live. Especially into the 80's. In fact he made Roger Taylor hit most of the high notes because hitting them would often cause him to cough.

You are going to find many brilliant performances, it was just the consistency.

That said, Queen inspired me to be a musician...

My mate is the biggest queen fan ever, and I've seen more queen concerts than I ever wanted to, and he seemed to be a pretty consistant vocal performer.

I guess the "high notes" you're referring too means the falsetto parts? I noticed that after 75/76 he didn't use the falsetto (much) anymore, such as take my breah away he did the falsetto in 75, but by the time DATR was out he stopped singing it like that.

However this aside I don't really know what you mean regarding consistancy (when qualifying it against other singers).

Of course as he got older he couldn't/didn't sing as high as he used to, but that's normal for any singer.

Which high notes did Roger sing for him out of interest?

I'm not saying you're wrong I just never noticed some of the things you're claiming, and I've seen a LOT of concerts and bootlegs.

In most of the live videos I've seen, Freddie's voice sounded great.

The guy almost refused to hit high notes live. Especially into the 80's. In fact he made Roger Taylor hit most of the high notes because hitting them would often cause him to cough.

You are going to find many brilliant performances, it was just the consistency.

That said, Queen inspired me to be a musician...

It was necessary, not only did he get vocal nodules but the Queen material is EXTREMELY demanding to sing. I mean, it's ridicilous how hard some songs are. His best live period was 1981-1982 IMO. Awful in 1985, better in 1986. His best performances in my opinion were the last studio sessions, Innuendo and the Made In Heaven-scraps (MOTHER LOVE!)

Freddie and Axl are the greatest frontmen ever, IMO.

As for favourite Axl performance... Jungle at 1988 VMA's, Free Falling with Petty in 1989 and Sailing at Wembley in 2006.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the AMA Patience, thought that was Wonderful. Axl nailed it and Slash's extended solo was awesome.

And Some of the This I Love performances this tour have been incredible, the one off the canda boot, also Edmonton and sao paulo.

I would never show them new band stuff to try and win an argument.

Are you nuts? He doens't sound anywhere near as good, and I am an avid listerner of bootlegs.

I would also avoid the summer of 1991. Really cool setlists, but Axl's voice is pretty shot towards the end of the summer here in the US. Was listening to the last Inglewood show yesterday. Rough.

I like the stuff from December 1991 unti around the Metallica tour that next summer. He's all over the stage with tons of energy, but does not miss a word and sounds great. The Skin N' Bones shows are strong vocally, but he does a half hour of those shows sitting on a couch, literally. Not sure how visually impressive those Youtube clips would be.

Are you nuts? He doens't sound anywhere near as good, and I am an avid listerner of bootlegs.

I would also avoid the summer of 1991. Really cool setlists, but Axl's voice is pretty shot towards the end of the summer here in the US. Was listening to the last Inglewood show yesterday. Rough.

I like the stuff from December 1991 unti around the Metallica tour that next summer. He's all over the stage with tons of energy, but does not miss a word and sounds great. The Skin N' Bones shows are strong vocally, but he does a half hour of those shows sitting on a couch, literally. Not sure how visually impressive those Youtube clips would be.

I think showing a great new performance beats a great old performance but there are more great old performances out there.

- This whole show is fantastic, choose any song you'd like from it

Sorry but this is not better than the original. Nothing will ever beat the original and Guns N' Roses broke up in 1994. You were in your first diapers when that happened. That's why you will never understand how good they were. Buckethead is a soulless horrible gimmick with a puppet, can't play guitar and there is no Guns N' Roses without Slash. Axl got crazy and fired everyone, he's bipolar and eats lamb dinners and watches NBA in his hotel room rather than plays for his fans. That's the facts. And the guy looks like a rapper now for chris't sake. His guitarist is an alien goth along with his rapper drummer. So get real. This band is a joke. So how dare you make such claims, such as this being 'fantastic'. Bring back Slash. We miss you Izzy.

You just used "Buckethead" and "can't play guitar" in the same sentence and you expect people to take you seriously. DIAF

Sorry but this is not better than the original. Nothing will ever beat the original and Guns N' Roses broke up in 1994. You were in your first diapers when that happened. That's why you will never understand how good they were. Buckethead is a soulless horrible gimmick with a puppet, can't play guitar and there is no Guns N' Roses without Slash. Axl got crazy and fired everyone, he's bipolar and eats lamb dinners and watches NBA in his hotel room rather than plays for his fans. That's the facts. And the guy looks like a rapper now for chris't sake. His guitarist is an alien goth along with his rapper drummer. So get real. This band is a joke. So how dare you make such claims, such as this being 'fantastic'. Bring back Slash. We miss you Izzy.

Edited by ItsSuchACrimeUKnowItsJAKE

Are you seriously that fucking close minded?

I'm sorry, but from now one I will not be able to take you seriously.

I think showing a great new performance beats a great old performance but there are more great old performances out there.

Based on what? His voice is not as strong and he struggles to get the lyrics out.

Other than the Rock In Rio II shows, did you really find that on older bootlegs? Because I find it in every new show, every single one.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but...

Basically, having this argument with a friend. I'm trying to persuade her that Axl is, in my opinion, the greatest front man ever. Wondering if anyone could point me to what they think is Axl's best performance ever? Youtube links would be fantastic.

Anyone selecting a performance after '93 really does not know their GNR history. The '87 to '93 years will never be topped those that think so are dreaming. Axl is still a has been who does a smattering of shows here and there. They are decent but not UYI good.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but...

Basically, having this argument with a friend. I'm trying to persuade her that Axl is, in my opinion, the greatest front man ever. Wondering if anyone could point me to what they think is Axl's best performance ever? Youtube links would be fantastic.

Anyone selecting a performance after '93 really does not know their GNR history. The '87 to '93 years will never be topped those that think so are dreaming. Axl is still a has been who does a smattering of shows here and there. They are decent but not UYI good.

No Slash meenz Axl cant sing anymorre DURRP !!!