How different do you think things would be if Buckethead hadn't left?

ITW 2012

How different do you think things would be if Buckethead hadn't left? I think it would have been easier for Axl to get support from the record company if Bucket was still around. He would have been a potential marketer's dream. Just the new image needed to sell the band in the US.

Edited by ITW 2012

How different do you think things would be if Buckethead hadn't left? I think it would have been easier for Axl to get support from the record company if Bucket was still around. He would have been a potential marketer's dream. Just the new image needed to sell the band in the US.

Well if Axl gave Bucket more creative control we'd have about 7 albums by now. Axl didn't utilize him to his full potential. If Bucket never left I'd also say that Finck would have had to go a long time before he did.

I agree that Bucket would have made the band very marketable.

The whole thing is depressing really.

Well if Axl gave Bucket more creative control we'd have about 7 albums by now. Axl didn't utilize him to his full potential. If Bucket never left I'd also say that Finck would have had to go a long time before he did.

I agree that Bucket would have made the band very marketable.

The whole thing is depressing really.

Yea but also according to axl, they did utilize bucket and he wanted to use all these "weird chicken noises" or whatever and he got a little bit too experimental for the rest of the bands taste.

I can't believe anyone actually think GNR would have turned out better with Buckethead. Don't get me wrong, he tears it up on CD, and I love him on on albums, but he made the band look like a joke. He is part of the reason GNR had the image they did with the public. Right now is the most positive I've seen the press and people in general about GNR with the new bands, so I'd say that what he's doing now is working best.

I can't believe anyone actually think GNR would have turned out better with Buckethead. Don't get me wrong, he tears it up on CD, and I love him on on albums, but he made the band look like a joke. He is part of the reason GNR had the image they did with the public. Right now is the most positive I've seen the press and people in general about GNR with the new bands, so I'd say that what he's doing now is working best.

Agreed. I love bucket's playing but it isn't fully suited to GNR and I'm guessing Axl and the guys had to reign him in a bit.

Ron, Richard and DJ is the best solid rock n' roll lineup the band has had since AFD. The killer shows they've put on have helped a ton with the press... I'm just hoping they can really rock Europe this summer.

Nothing would be different. Who in this band has influence other than Axl?

This.

Who cares?

This current retardation of the band, is about Axl.

Noone else.

I care. This is a band. This is Guns N' Roses.

Concerning the album; obviously it would have more Buckethead solos (which would have sounded better for the flow of the album instead of Bumble's chopping), his songwriting was not changed. Next album will feature Bucketheads songwriting and guitar playing too. So in a way, you won't notice he left, except the lesser and out of place replacement solos. Take away Buckethead's contribution to songwriting and guitar playing on CD, and you are left with a fairly mediocre album.

Reception by the audience and media; Buckethead proved most people don't care about musicality. They care about how someone is dressed and behaves on stage, so GnR would be ridiculed by the ignoramuses and the shallow (see this board for examples). The current band is musically nowhere near the 2001 formation, more like an 'easy on the eye, laid back' image band with not much content. And many GnR fans buy it. So Musicality < Looks and Image for the majority of GnR fans. If Buckethead wore a leather jacket and jeans with his hair waving in front of his face, people would go crazy about him....while he still played exactly the same. Where I come from, that's what little girls care about.

Live, on stage; probably a deadly yet triumphant Nunchaku fight with 2 band members who wanted him out from the beginning, together with the eternal hanger-on talentless Baldy.

Best thing for Buckethead's sanity (yes...he is still sane) and musical freedom was leaving GnR.

This.

Who cares?

Noone else.

I care.

And yet, even though he is gone, you're still here?

This.

Who cares?

Noone else.

I care.

Yeah... crazy, ha?

Bucket and Axl (and maybe Brain) are the musical core of NuGNR. Like it or not, it's highly probable that Bucket will be all over the next album, and the next.

Buckethead is very much relevant to the musical future of this band.

This.

Who cares?

Noone else.

I care.

And even though Slash is gone, you are still here, contradiction is your middle name Sunny.

People were very much digging the Bucket when I saw the band in Tacoma back in 02. Some people in the crowd were even wearing KFC Buckets and yelling out his name before the band took the stage. At one point even Axl put a couple mini KFC buckets on. Of course some people didn't like the image but that's just how it is. Regardless, everyone at the shows couldn't help but be amazed at his brilliant playing.

People love comic book type characters. They rule the Summer box office every year. I can't help but feel if Bucket was still around the record label would let Axl be a proper musician again. Instead it seems like they are doing every thing they can to make him reunite the old band. It's starting to feel like CD II is going to have to completely leak (much like CD) before they'll release it.

Edited by ITW 2012

he wanted to use all these "weird chicken noises" or whatever and he got a little bit too experimental for the rest of the bands taste.

Source?

Who cares? Anyone who thinks BH was good for GNR is just fooling themselves. This has been argued and debated like a dead horse. Polls have even been done. Most people think BH is a joke.

Not sure I see a connection. It not like Buckethead is some promotional whiz. Doesn't he talk through hand puppets?

he wanted to use all these "weird chicken noises" or whatever and he got a little bit too experimental for the rest of the bands taste.

Source?

Who cares? Anyone who thinks BH was good for GNR is just fooling themselves. This has been argued and debated like a dead horse. Polls have even been done. Most people think BH is a joke.

Just like the polls where BH is voted the best nugnr guitarist?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=160209

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=164609

Not to mention that this place historically hasn't exactly been a beacon of free speech. 99% of members that publicly admitted liking Buckethead were banned. That has all changed now. Don't expect the majority to be BH haters any more.

Look, GNR isn't the same band as it once was. BH would not have fit the old band, I'm not denying that. BH was good for newgnr and the new sound Axl was going for. Chinese democracy would have probably never seen the light of day if he didn't join.

Edited by ashysdad

Everything would be better.

CD would be a much better album with all of Buckethead's stuff intact, the tour would be better with Buckethead playing his original solos and his magnificent Nightrain solo, and I'd be less paranoid about CD2 sucking ass.

Source?

A lot of people care. Anyone who thinks Buckethead's work on CD is anything below great is just fooling themselves.

Back in 01 or so I really was excited about BH's involvement with and thought he would be a staple to the band. Learning that he had moved on really sucked imo. They needed more time together to form a true sound.