Bruce Springsteen Sucks

Cdlove

Okay, let me start of by telling why I am making this topic. I was a Publix just getting some groceries after work when "Glory Days" from The Boss comes on. At this point I was in the line for the register and these two wannabe guidos say "Man Bruce Springsteen is the man!!! He makes music that is just SOOOO GOOOD!! I cant believe no one ever made anything as good as he did". Okay, I know before I go onto my next rant people are going to pull the "It's just musical taste and such, some people like this", whatever Bruce has no excuse for anything he makes. He is the worst thing to come from the 80's ever. He ruined my childhood with "Born In The USA"., I had to listen to that song 24/7 on the radio until Bad took over the airwaves. But onto the real story, Bruce Springsteen suck.....and here's why....

1.All his songs are the SAME FUCKING THING. Okay we got the acoustic guitar intro, gravely hippo being strangled vocals, and lyrics about his childhood sweet heart and him falling in love at the river or some shit.

2.Terrible, terrible, terrible, smokers voice.

3.His show was boring when I went, he cannot put on a show to save his life. It was like watching a high school orchestra with a pedophile teacher doing the vocals the entire time. That was one of the few shows were I left early even though I spent a good hundred dollars to watch him.

4.His music the quintessential 80's cheese that we all came to hate.

5.He acts like he's "Blue Collar" yet he has millions in the bank.

6.People from New Jersey seem to think he is the best thing to ever happen, and I hate New Jersey.

So please tell me, what is this huge popularity thing with Bruce Springsteen. I dont get it, what is just so good about him that every soccer mom in the world has to love him so much.

Edited by Cdlove

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, let me start of by telling why I am making this topic. I was a Publix just getting some groceries after work when "Glory Days" from The Boss comes on. At this point I was in the line for the register and these two wannabe guidos say "Man Bruce Springsteen is the man!!! He makes music that is just SOOOO GOOOD!! I cant believe no one ever made anything as good as he did". Okay, I know before I go onto my next rant people are going to pull the "It's just musical taste and such, some people like this", whatever Bruce has no excuse for anything he makes. He is the worst thing to come from the 80's ever. He ruined my childhood with "Born In The USA"., I had to listen to that song 24/7 on the radio until Bad took over the airwaves. But onto the real story, Bruce Springsteen suck.....and here's why....

He came from the 80's? Hmmm I seem to remember Born to Run in 75, or Darkness on the Edge of Town in 78. He goes back to his first two albums in 73. He was well know long before the 80's.

1.All his songs are the SAME FUCKING THING. Okay we got the acoustic guitar intro, gravely hippo being strangled vocals, and lyrics about his childhood sweet heart and him falling in love at the river or some shit.

Ummmm no lol. I suppose Born to Run, NYC Serenade, Blinded By The Light, Racing in the Street, Jackson Cage, Used Cars are the same? LOL I could go on, but I won't

LOL No.

3.His show was boring when I went, he cannot put on a show to save his life. It was like watching a high school orchestra with a pedophile teacher doing the vocals the entire time. That was one of the few shows were I left early even though I spent a good hundred dollars to watch him.

This is a joke to say the least. His shows with the E Street Band are considered some of the best. 3 hour shows, varied sets lists, etc. Great great live band.

Really? Besides Dancing in the Dark, Born in the USA, did you listen to the rest of Born in the USA. Oh how about his solo album Nebraska or Tunnel of Love. 80's cheese ? aha dude you are terrible.

He doesn't act blue collar. People give him the reputation that he is. All he does is make music, treat his fans with great respect and he has been doing it since the early 70's

6.People from New Jersey seem to think he is the best thing to ever happen, and I hate New Jersey.

He is one of the greatest artists of all time IMO. You are a typical hater who has probably listened to Born in the USA and Born to Run albums. Too bad, you are missing out. Your uneducated ripping of Bruce is quite hilarious.

So please tell me, what is this huge popularity thing with Bruce Springsteen. I dont get it, what is just so good about him that every soccer mom in the world has to love him so much.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. You seem to be getting all but hurt because Bruce has maintained to stay relevant for 35 + years. Super Bowl performance, touring supporting Obama, receiving various awards, and having successful tours and records this decade. Yep, deal with it. His music is great and if you don't like it, that is fine. But stop spewing your hate.

Edited by NightProwler

1.All his songs are the SAME FUCKING THING.

Do yourself a favour and listen to his albums first.

Nebraska is absolutely nothing like Born to Run. Sure, some of his stuff sounds kinda similar...in the same way any distinct artist's music becomes instantly recognizable.

No kidding. Even go back to Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ. A Dylan Esque album. Then you have Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle which has long epics and is close to an R&B record (Listen to the song E Street Shuffle).

I'm with you on "Born in the USA" being overplayed and annoying. And he's been far from blue collar since the 70s.

You'd prob. like Henry Rollins' rant on him, but even he's like "I'm sure he's a good guy..."

It sounds like you were forced to go see him. His band is pretty good, a little "bar band-ish", but they're the type of band that doesn't exist anymore.

I think he had a good run in the 70s, and just became a superstar in the 80s. I don't think his music "represents" the 80s cheese element. Billy Squier's too gay for words"Rock Me Tonight" or David Lee Roth's solo stuff? Bryan Adams went into that cheese element that Bruce dabbled in for a few songs, but he came from disco.

The song "River" isn't about falling in love with a girl. He knocked a girl up and it sounds like he wants to go Eminem on Mary..drive his chevy into the river with Mary in the trunk.

Guidos don't listen to Springsteen. They're all at the Bon Jovi concert fist pumpin to the "classics".

It wouldn't surprise me if you're in Florida, where Publix is.... a lot of transplants from the northeast migrate there and prob. bitch about how much it sucks there, and how great NY/NJ is, but it's cheap to live there.

Springsteen hasn't played San Diego in 15 years because he was doing one of his acoustic shows and flipped out when he saw someone tapping into the soundboard cable and stopped the show. Plus there's not a big Bruce following on the west coast the way there is on the east coast.

I like Darkness on the Edge of Town, Nebraska and Born to Run, and liked it when Tom Morello did "Tom Joad" with him, but RATM did the song better.

His band is pretty good, a little "bar band-ish", but they're the type of band that doesn't exist anymore.

The Hold Steady, Titus Andronicus and the Gaslight Anthem are all doing a pretty decent job right now.

Are Titus Andronicus worth a listen? I've heard they're similar to the bands you mentioned but have never given them a chance.

Any reccomended album(s)?

I know he joined Gaslight Anthem on stage in the UK.

But when he namedropped Suicide as one of his favorite bands, where "Nebraska" had been partly influenced by the two albums they did, you're going "This is someone who likes and appreciates music" and doesn't just like one thing. He'd collectively smoke our asses at music trivia. I heard he has an insane record collection that rivals Dr Demento's. Who has just about every record ever made and could prob. turn what he has into a music store.

This was around the same time Velvet Underground was just getting namedropped in the way the Pixies were in the 90s (but Pixies were popular in Boston and the UK, also opened for U2 on stadium tours, and VU opened for U2 around the same time), although Reed had a pretty successful career, but they were rereleasing their catalog as well as putting out unreleased songs.

Suicide was one of those few bands that you heard about more than heard. You'd have to buy the record or CD to hear them. You'd expect Bruce to mention Jackie Wilson or Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding. But Suicide? He was also a huge Ramones fan (in Asbury Park and you hear punk music being played loud in someone's car, it's prob. Bruce) and turned out he'd go incognito to CBGBs and (more frequently when time permitted) Stone Pony, which over the years has had great bands.

He's always been nice and accommodating, if he's getting this fits of giggles, that's his way of keeping you away from him. It's almost like a nervous tic. But he's gone to the local record stores, and if someone wanted him to sign something, and he was just there shopping, he'd do it, but still ask "are you going to sell this?".

I know he's rich and could live anywhere else but Jersey, but he makes himself a familiar face to the locals that they become protective of him and Jon Bon Jovi, who lives really close to him, that he's better off being there than in LA where they'd be following him around and professional collectors would be bothering him. He used to be seen around San Fran because his parents live there, and his sister, who was in "Sleepaway Camp", is a famous photographer in her own right. I don't know if she's ever shot GNR.

His band is pretty good, a little "bar band-ish", but they're the type of band that doesn't exist anymore.

The Hold Steady, Titus Andronicus and the Gaslight Anthem are all doing a pretty decent job right now.

Let ne ask, how many people did I fool with that post? I actually don't hate him, not a fan but I don't hate him. I just made this topic just to see if Springsteen fans are more hardcore than Slayer fans. In this case, not really but it's up there. A big thanks to my Mom who asked "Are you a fan of the Boss?" and me saying "Eh he's okay" to strike a huge argument between my mom and me. So anyway, I don't hate the Boss, just wanted some test rats to see if my expirement ment anything.

Are Titus Andronicus worth a listen? I've heard they're similar to the bands you mentioned but have never given them a chance.

Any reccomended album(s)?

Their new one is pretty good. I only heard one other one a couple years back - I think it was their debut - but it didn't leave as much of an impression.

Out of those three bands, I like them the least, but they're still good. My buddy from college said they were his favourite band which is what caused me to give them another chance recently...I had sort of dismissed them at first.