Guns N' Roses - o2 Dublin September 1st

no1gooner

Guest RonMexico82

Guns N' Roses frontman in backstage confrontation

today at 1:50 pm

Guns N’Roses frontman Axl Rose threw a punch at MCD boss Denis Desmond at the O2 arena on Wednesday night, according to this morning’s Irish Sun.

Controversy erupted at the Dublin venue earlier in the week after Rose and the rest of his band walked off the stage only minutes into their performance after being pelted with bottles from the crowd.

Concert-goers were angry that the band had taken to the stage at nearly 11pm, over an hour later than scheduled, and responded by throwing bottles, some rumoured to be containing urine, towards the stage.

Rose and his bandmates left the stage and were confronted by an angry Denis Desmond, boss of MCD, who demanded that the band return to the stage and finish their set. According to a report in this morning’s Irish Sun, Desmond and Rose were involved in an angry and physical confrontation back stage.

The paper quote ‘an insider’, who revealed: “Axl did get physical with Denis backstage and there was also a heated exchange between the two of them as he wanted to leave the building altogether.

“He shaped to him and threw a punch but Denis remained calm. Denis told him in no uncertain terms that he was obliged to get out there and deliver a performance to fans.

“It didn’t develop into anything serious and security didn’t have to intervene but Axl was acting out of control. As far as Denis is concerned, he (Rose) is a puppy dog in comparison to what he used to be like in his heyday so he just shrugged it off.”

Rose and the band did eventually go back on stage about an hour after leaving and finished their set, but according to various reviews of the gig, it was far from paradise in the city.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns N' Roses frontman in backstage confrontation

today at 1:50 pm

Guns N’Roses frontman Axl Rose threw a punch at MCD boss Denis Desmond at the O2 arena on Wednesday night, according to this morning’s Irish Sun.

Controversy erupted at the Dublin venue earlier in the week after Rose and the rest of his band walked off the stage only minutes into their performance after being pelted with bottles from the crowd.

Concert-goers were angry that the band had taken to the stage at nearly 11pm, over an hour later than scheduled, and responded by throwing bottles, some rumoured to be containing urine, towards the stage.

Rose and his bandmates left the stage and were confronted by an angry Denis Desmond, boss of MCD, who demanded that the band return to the stage and finish their set. According to a report in this morning’s Irish Sun, Desmond and Rose were involved in an angry and physical confrontation back stage.

The paper quote ‘an insider’, who revealed: “Axl did get physical with Denis backstage and there was also a heated exchange between the two of them as he wanted to leave the building altogether.

“He shaped to him and threw a punch but Denis remained calm. Denis told him in no uncertain terms that he was obliged to get out there and deliver a performance to fans.

“It didn’t develop into anything serious and security didn’t have to intervene but Axl was acting out of control. As far as Denis is concerned, he (Rose) is a puppy dog in comparison to what he used to be like in his heyday so he just shrugged it off.”

Rose and the band did eventually go back on stage about an hour after leaving and finished their set, but according to various reviews of the gig, it was far from paradise in the city.

Thanks for that Ron :)

I wonder though if you can trust anything that the Sun writes in their Rags??? :P

As for Dennis Desmond :fuckyou:

if axl wanted to leave, but didn't because he wanted to get paid, then doesn't that mean he's prostituting himself for fortune and shame? i mean, i thought the thing that everyone loved about axl was how he was never willing to compromise what he wanted for anyone or anything, least of all a little bit of money. obviously, he really didn't want to be performing that show in dublin. so why'd he do it? for money? it sure as shit wasn't for the fans, or he'd have tried to perform more. seems like axl wasn't doing what axl wanted, but rather what a businessman wanted so that axl could get some money. that, to me, sounds like a sellout. he should have heroically stuck to his guns, walked past the scary, intimidating concert promoter, and told them to fuck off with their money! isn't that what we love about axl?

i mean, if he's willing to do things he doesn't want to do in order to appease a concert promoter, why can't he be willing do things he doesn't want to do to appease his fans? like play a show on time? or practice his vocals and exercise so he can sing more professionally?

I guess he came back on to stop a riot breaking out or something. Other than that, he could've stayed backstage for all I care. The band stole the show.

Guest RonMexico82

Punching the promoter was probably the only correct thing Axl did at that gig. MCD played an enormous role in what went down and why it all went so horribly wrong. It might be The Sun but I would be inclined to believe this as it is not exactly out of the ordinary for Axl to do that.

Punching the promoter was probably the only correct thing Axl did at that gig. MCD played an enormous role in what went down and why it all went so horribly wrong. It might be The Sun but I would be inclined to believe this as it is not exactly out of the ordinary for Axl to do that.

What did MCD do that was so wrong?

This

Guest RonMexico82

Don't overlook MCD's role in this. They have a long relationship with GNR going back to Slane in 92. The owner of MCD has spoken previously about how difficult Axl is and how he literally had to beg him to go onstage at Slane after a two hour delay. So he knows what is considered "normal" in the world of Axl Rose. Why he then organised the O2 as a venue is beyond doubt a recipe for disaster. It is well known that the venue rigorously enforces its curfew which is 11.30. All the parking and rail facilities close between 12 and 12.30, a time when GNR is normally still onstage. For any promoter who is all too familiar with Axls tardiness to expect or believe that he would hit the stage at 9.00pm is dumb. Now I don't know if MCD is responsible for security but there was issues there for certain. The handling of the walk off by Axl by the venue staff and security was also shambolic, all things which regularly seem to affect MCD events in Ireland. They have a history here of organisational fuck ups and just like Axl never admit responsibility for anything.

This

This what? Booking the gig?

Ron in fairness MCD had done nothing wrong at that point.Their big failing was turning on the house lights,which is what prompted the crowd to start leaving.This was after this incident I believe.

Guest RonMexico82

Ron in fairness MCD had done nothing wrong at that point.Their big failing was turning on the house lights,which is what prompted the crowd to start leaving.This was after this incident I believe.

Well yeah I agree that turning on the lights was a stupid move but there is more. People on boards.ie are saying that when they rang the venue before the gig they were told that the perfomance by GNR would start between 9 and 9.15pm and that the show would be over by 11.30pm. Also people asked security when the lights went up if the show was over and they said yes and were directed outside. In the seated area people were supposedly approached by security and told the same. There is also reports that people were unable to get back into the gig when Guns started up again. Then there is the sale of bottles at the gig. Maybe I am wrong in attributing all of this to MCD as I am unsure as to who exactly is responsible for hiring security etc.

Don't think too many people in Ireland would complain about Axl hitting Mr. Desmond though. He deserves it for the shambles that is MCD (based on other gigs)

EDIT: And I am in no way using the above to absolve Axl for his role in this.

Edited by RonMexico82

Guest RonMexico82

Get In The Ring springs to mind for me after Dublin

You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids

While they be payin' their hard earned money to read about the bands

They want to know about

The only song that springs to mind when I think of you whiners from the Dublin Crybabies thread is:

"Don't you cryyyyyyyy toniiiiiiiiiiiiiight!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Seriously, get over it. I bet if GNR were to play Dublin again they would still sell out. :heart:

The only song that springs to mind when I think of you whiners from the Dublin Crybabies thread is:

"Don't you cryyyyyyyy toniiiiiiiiiiiiiight!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Seriously, get over it. I bet if GNR were to play Dublin again they would still sell out. :heart:

Yes I would say you are right!!

And I would probably even buy a ticket again myself!! As I said before I am not on this forum to Bash AXL or the Band, as I have followed them for over 2 decades and I love their Music!!

However, AXL needs to take responsibilities for his actions also!!!

But let's leave it now!! and see what happens later!!!

Guest RonMexico82

Fuckin hell are we still talkin about the irish.......

The people who were there are talking alright, which is generally the point of a discussion forum (this isn't directed at you BTW), however there are others posting in this thread with the sole purpose of antagonising the fans with the hope of getting this thread closed so any negative discussion, merited or otherwise, will be stopped.

They can try all they like, but they are better off ignored.

EDIT: I am looking forward to hearing Axl speak about this gig. The silence from the band so far, speaks volumes. DJ can try and spin it as a positive night, but we all know that it was anything but. I like the guy though, I think he is a great addition to the band and I don't blame him one iota for what went down in Dublin.

Edited by RonMexico82

Fuckin hell are we still talkin about the irish.......

The people who were there are talking alright, which is generally the point of a discussion forum (this isn't directed at you BTW), however there are others posting in this thread with the sole purpose of antagonising the fans with the hope of getting this thread closed so any negative discussion, merited or otherwise, will be stopped.

They can try all they like, but they are better off ignored.

Actually posting here helped me feel better about what happened.

It was definitely an experience, and a big national event.

Part of the reason why people are still talking is that this happened in an English speaking country

with mass internet access and a strong GNR fanbase. I think if this had happened on one

of the South American or Eastern European gigs the discussion would not have been so long (at least in the English speaking forums).

Guest RonMexico82

True that. Guns N Roses has a very strong following in Ireland. I just hope that Axl's name isn't forever tarnished by what happened in Dublin. Irish people don't forget things quickly. Just ask the English :lol:

True that. Guns N Roses has a very strong following in Ireland. I just hope that Axl's name isn't forever tarnished by what happened in Dublin. Irish people don't forget things quickly. Just ask the English :lol:

That made me chuckle but lets be honest, we ended up with River Dance........................ live and let live :rofl-lol:

Guest RonMexico82

That made me chuckle but lets be honest, we ended up with River Dance........................ live and let live :rofl-lol:

True :lol: That must have been traumatizing.

Well yeah I agree that turning on the lights was a stupid move but there is more. People on boards.ie are saying that when they rang the venue before the gig they were told that the perfomance by GNR would start between 9 and 9.15pm and that the show would be over by 11.30pm. Also people asked security when the lights went up if the show was over and they said yes and were directed outside. In the seated area people were supposedly approached by security and told the same. There is also reports that people were unable to get back into the gig when Guns started up again. Then there is the sale of bottles at the gig. Maybe I am wrong in attributing all of this to MCD as I am unsure as to who exactly is responsible for hiring security etc.

Don't think too many people in Ireland would complain about Axl hitting Mr. Desmond though. He deserves it for the shambles that is MCD (based on other gigs)

EDIT: And I am in no way using the above to absolve Axl for his role in this.

There is a lot of stuff being said over on boards.ie alright and probably more will follow.hard to know what is true and what is not, as there were a lot of neagative shit going on there before the gig also.I have to say that i was in the frist tier seats and at no time was I asked to leave and from the band leaving to them going back on,I must have went out at least 3 times to make phone calls and go to the bathroom. What I did see were a lot of angry people arguing with the o2 staff. Security I'm not sure of either,could be MCD or the o2. But at the time the band walked off they seemed to be doing quite a good job, although they could possibly have been quicker to get the pricks thowing bottles out. Again maybe that is harsh as they could have been quite a few rows back and not easy to get at. I haven't heard anyone complain about Dennis getting hit, so guess MCD are not that popular with Irish concert goers.I am not sure,but wouldn't be surprised if the story that Axl left the four seasons at 10pm and arrived in the o2 five minutes before going on is true. If this is true, then the notion that it took that long to get the stage/gear ready is blown right out of the water.There are a lot of things that could have and should have been done differently and maybe in the cold light of day all parties would have acted differently, the prick bottle throwers, mcd and axl/gnr. But in the heat of that minute mistakes were made. hope lessons are learned.