Chinese Democracy is freaking awesome

Angelo666

Armed with the knowlede that we now have, will Axl ever again be looked at as an artist who is going to revolutionize or re-define anything? Outside of the few diehards that frequent these forums, will anyone ever see him as being an "in- demand" artist or capable of creating one for the ages? Or, in a sense, would it be fair to say that the release of Chinese Democracy resulted in the world losing a hero?

No, Axl's time as a music superstar is long over.

If he really wanted to make a HUGE impact, the time to strike was 1999. He was on the cover of SPIN magazine, in a fantastic article called "What the world needs now is Axl Rose."

He had been out of the public view for over five years and the music world desperately needed his presence. The Rolling Stone interview gave us the title "Chinese Democracy"....we heard "Oh My God"..."Live Era" promised to close the book on the old chapter of the band....

The time to strike was THEN. And he didn't. The album never came out....the new band didn't make it's live debut until years later.

At the 2002 VMAs, he looked like a joke. Silly braided hair, goofy menagerie of musicians, and worst of all....he was out of breath, and wheezed on stage like an old man. I think that was the final straw for the public...the last interest anyone had in him as a musician.

Nobody cared about CD except for us. NOBODY. The world moved on a long time ago. Outside of the handful of people, maybe several thousand around the world, the diehards like us, nobody cared. It was just too late. The entire industry has changed so much since 1999....things would have been very different had it dropped then. But it didn't.

Axl is still a superstar though. He's a pop culture phenomenon. His exploits still makes the tabloids....people are still fascinated by him as a person, as a celebrity. He makes headlines when he beats photographers in airports. He'll always be a superstar in that respect, but it's not for his "new" music.

Nothing is ever going to have the impact of Appetite, and the few "greatest hits" from Lies and UYI. He's a nostalgia act. I was disgusted by the crowd when I saw them in 2002...in a half empty arena....drunk rednecks catcalling to him that he looks fat. Standing and singing during Sweet Child and then getting more beer during Madagascar.

I suppose if there ever was a reunion, it'd be big news, in the way that any big reunion would be. And they'd come out and play the same songs from Appetite and pepper in Patience and November Rain, and that would be that. That's all the public wants. The public is stupid.

I wish he would stop playing big arenas to people that don't respect him. I wish he would do a small club tour and play ONLY Chinese Democracy songs. But it'll never happen.

So to answer your question: no, releasing CD in 2008 did not result in the world losing a hero. The world turned it's back on Axl Rose a long long time before that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what gives any fan the right to deny another fan their way of enjoying the music? If they like to get totally wasted and like SCOM best of all the set, it's their good right to do so and enjoy themselves. I'm not that type of fan either, but this arrogant view disgusts me.

True, great post! great thread :thumbsup:

The club thing with only Chinese Democracy songs is a great idear...

But that would mean no Nightrain.

Fuck that. Axl has a right to play the songs he wrote.

I agree that he should be able to play the tracks that were written by him, but should he be able to play the tracks that Izzy wrote the vocals to, or have someone else cover the riffs that Slash was responsible for? It may not be a crime, but considering all of his hyping of the new material and burying of the old band, you'd think he'd want to play the fresh "mind blowing" stuff, if it exists, rather than make his current lineup look like an over-bloated tribute band that exists soley for nostalgic purposes and financial gain.

Edited by Mad Hatter

If he were to stop playing all the old stuff, then it would have been pointless for him to have gone to such great lengths to retain the name Guns N' Roses

Not really...Axl understood the value of the GnR brand name and is using it to establish and sell his new band and music..............many, myself included, are not happy he is still using the name but in Axl's defense it is a smart business decision...........

You almost could call it a "bait and switch" tactic.

Which some people consider unethical.

You almost could call it a "bait and switch" tactic.

Which some people consider unethical.

It would have been more justifiable had he issued a press release back in the 90s stating that GNR was going to continue but only as a tribute band - with a revolving door of musicians - who would milk one album for a decade, three tours, and on top of that, the material would not appeal to most.

That whole "I want to bury the old band" rhetoric and "the fans being rewarded for their long wait" was very misleading for alot of us.

and on top of that, the material would not appeal to most.

Not most on mygnrforum.

The haters are in the minority here, trolling the posts of everyone else, who are still enjoying CD and the bands current tour.

In fact, I implore you to scroll up, and find another member spouting the same, or even similar nonsense to yours.

Edit: Just saw the B-real quote in your sig - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats all we needed to know about you right there.

Shall I quote you M.Shadows, Brian May, or that guy Slash and we'll see what they made of the album?

Edited by Azazel

and on top of that, the material would not appeal to most.

Not most on mygnrforum.

Shall I quote you M.Shadows, Brian May, or that guy Slash and we'll see what they made of the album?

Don't go there man.

Isn't it almost every week some random celebrity/musician is quoted commenting on how they don't like CD or what Axl's done to GNR.

Not most on mygnrforum.

The haters are in the minority here, trolling the posts of everyone else, who are still enjoying CD and the bands current tour.

In fact, I implore you to scroll up, and find another member spouting the same, or even similar nonsense to yours.

Edit: Just saw the B-real quote in your sig - :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats all we needed to know about you right there.

I'm really not sure how another's opinion would lessen the validity of mine, nor do I see how my sig is relevant to this conversation other than you "attempting" to discredit me because you disagree.

I started a thread yesterday that was tossed to DnB, I'm assuming because it incited some ridiculous reactions from children. I'm not arguing with management's decision to move it, but I do think it posed a valid question. The OP took the last paragraph of my thread and started another (for whatever reason).

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=165145&st=0

Armed with the knowlede that we now have, will Axl ever again be looked at as an artist who is going to revolutionize or re-define anything? Outside of the few diehards that frequent these forums, will anyone ever see him as being an "in- demand" artist or capable of creating one for the ages? Or, in a sense, would it be fair to say that the release of Chinese Democracy resulted in the world losing a hero?

No, Axl's time as a music superstar is long over.

If he really wanted to make a HUGE impact, the time to strike was 1999. He was on the cover of SPIN magazine, in a fantastic article called "What the world needs now is Axl Rose."

He had been out of the public view for over five years and the music world desperately needed his presence. The Rolling Stone interview gave us the title "Chinese Democracy"....we heard "Oh My God"..."Live Era" promised to close the book on the old chapter of the band....

The time to strike was THEN. And he didn't. The album never came out....the new band didn't make it's live debut until years later.

At the 2002 VMAs, he looked like a joke. Silly braided hair, goofy menagerie of musicians, and worst of all....he was out of breath, and wheezed on stage like an old man. I think that was the final straw for the public...the last interest anyone had in him as a musician.

Nobody cared about CD except for us. NOBODY. The world moved on a long time ago. Outside of the handful of people, maybe several thousand around the world, the diehards like us, nobody cared. It was just too late. The entire industry has changed so much since 1999....things would have been very different had it dropped then. But it didn't.

Axl is still a superstar though. He's a pop culture phenomenon. His exploits still makes the tabloids....people are still fascinated by him as a person, as a celebrity. He makes headlines when he beats photographers in airports. He'll always be a superstar in that respect, but it's not for his "new" music.

Nothing is ever going to have the impact of Appetite, and the few "greatest hits" from Lies and UYI. He's a nostalgia act. I was disgusted by the crowd when I saw them in 2002...in a half empty arena....drunk rednecks catcalling to him that he looks fat. Standing and singing during Sweet Child and then getting more beer during Madagascar.

I suppose if there ever was a reunion, it'd be big news, in the way that any big reunion would be. And they'd come out and play the same songs from Appetite and pepper in Patience and November Rain, and that would be that. That's all the public wants. The public is stupid.

I wish he would stop playing big arenas to people that don't respect him. I wish he would do a small club tour and play ONLY Chinese Democracy songs. But it'll never happen.

So to answer your question: no, releasing CD in 2008 did not result in the world losing a hero. The world turned it's back on Axl Rose a long long time before that.

Why only play CD songs? that makes no sense he wrote or co-wrote, whatever you want to say, those songs so why shouldn't he sing them he has every right to.

I mean Slash sings songs from GnR at his shows, should he only sing stuff from his album?

Don't go there man.

Isn't it almost every week some random celebrity/musician is quoted commenting on how they don't like CD or what Axl's done to GNR.

Yes, and my point is most of them have the credibility of B-real.

Don't go there man.

Yeah, no shit. Is he actually trying to use mygnr's opinion as the concensus of most? If this forum's concensus was a clear reflection of how most feel, Axl wouldn't have to resort to filing 5 million dollar, erroneous lawsuits to support his lifestyle.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Yes, and my point is most of them have the credibility of B-real.

Credibility?

Not to be taken as a diss, but how many times did B Real get credited for destroying a band? How many false release dates did he give over a decade? Did he ever promise a video was going to be delivered "in a week or so" and then 18 months lapse without nothing?

Are you sure that you want to talk credibility?

Edited by Mad Hatter

Hello i am a new member here.This is the greatest gnr forum .I am from Greece.CD is really awsome. All the album is great What about the rumours for a July release in July?Any infos?

The June/July release was turned down but something appears to be slated for an end of the year/next year release. There's one album that we think is finished and one that is being written by the current lineup.

Welcome to the forum.

Hello i am a new member here.This is the greatest gnr forum .I am from Greece.CD is really awsome. All the album is great What about the rumours for a July release in July?Any infos?

The June/July release was turned down but something appears to be slated for an end of the year/next year release. There's one album that we think is finished and one that is being written by the current lineup.

Welcome to the forum.

Awesome...and while you're at it...can you also tell me where they're keeping the alien bodies hidden at Roswell?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply